No Oppo Supporters 2019 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else noticed that since the trade period and Bar rats distinguished display of pathetic and disgusting journalism revolving around the Daniher trade.. that Barrett has not written one single article ? Has he been sacked?? Is is usual for him to disappear for months during pre-season? Does anyone know anything???

Has anyone else noticed that since the trade period and Bar rats distinguished display of pathetic and disgusting journalism revolving around the Daniher trade.. that Barrett has not written one single article ? Has he been sacked?? Is is usual for him to disappear for months during pre-season? Does anyone know anything???
One can only hope.....

After the draft and through to February is the quietest time of the year for football news. Petty safe to assume it is when he takes his holiday.

After the draft and through to February is the quietest time of the year for football news. Petty safe to assume it is when he takes his holiday.

Robbo and the Bar Rat are spending their hols stalking each other.

I've loved Martin Flanagan's writing over the years.
"My words about footy upon parting: you need at least two people on the AFL Commission representing grassroots footy. We’re heading into a rough, tough century. Grassroots footy is where the game’s version of climate change is occurring. The game is shrinking at its base. Best thing I saw in footy this year? More African kids coming through. For the same reason, we need women’s footy to prosper. "

or https://t.co/D5hgmngXOo?amp=1
PS. I keep forgetting how to use outline.com :(

I guess as a generalisation. I have seen games that seem free flowing & fast paced but with low scoring... lots of turnovers, sure... but exciting none-the-less.

I don't think the focus should be "scoring" so much as "skill level".
Several games I watched last year were just terrible. Yes it was skill level but it was also the lack of ability to score due to flooding. That to me is the major problem. These games all had one factor. The winning side scored less only 10 goals.

It seemed in each case neither team knew how to break the quick flood back. At one stage there were all players forward of centre in one forward line. Just disgusting to watch. The thing is it was repeated in several matches. It was a game we played against GWS. I can remember a game played against St Kilda when Grant Thomas was coach where neither team could score because St Kilda just kept the ball in scrim ages all the time. It was vile.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

From an article in The Australian :( -no, this is not my preferred newspaper!
Three steps to resilience

An Australian, Hugh van Cuylenberg taught in India for 6 months.

One student caught his attention Stanzin, although wearing shoes too small him (so the toes had been cut out), was so excited that he had shoes.

“Sir, look. Look!” he said, pointing at his feet. “Sir, dis!” In Ladakh, people find it almost impossible to make the “th” sound with their tongue pressed behind their teeth, so I knew Stanzin was saying “this”.

Students "seemed to have found the secret to happiness; virtually everyone I got to know in this remote village was the same. I’m not suggesting that people in developing nations don’t struggle with mental health, but I did know that there was something very special about the attitude of these villagers."
there were three principles they practised every day that were key to their resilient world view and happy disposition: gratitude (the ability to pay attention to what you have instead of worrying about what you don’t have); empathy (the ability to feel what another person is feeling) and mindfulness (the ability to focus on the present moment)...

a simple technique: to write down three things that went well each day, every day, along with an explanation for why each good thing happened.

On return to Australia, developed The Resilience Project.
He spoken at Melbourne Storm, other NRL clubs, Richmond, Collingwood.

Earlier this year, Dustin (Martin) and I spoke at a conference together. He told the audience he was up to 1086 consecutive days of doing the Resilience Project journal.

Pendlebury said: And by the way, next time you’re watching, pay close attention to Adam Treloar. If you can get a photo of his wrist, just have a close look.” “How come?” I asked. “Just have a look.” It turned out that after the Resilience Project talk, star midfielder Treloar – who has since revealed he’s battled severe anxiety during his career – had started writing “DIS” in large black letters on his wrist strapping before every game, tapping his wrist and saying to himself, “Adam, you are blessed”.

Perhaps Hugh van Cuylenberg should be invited to speak at the Bloods?

From an article in The Australian :( -no, this is not my preferred newspaper!
Three steps to resilience

An Australian, Hugh van Cuylenberg taught in India for 6 months.

One student caught his attention Stanzin, although wearing shoes too small him (so the toes had been cut out), was so excited that he had shoes.

“Sir, look. Look!” he said, pointing at his feet. “Sir, dis!” In Ladakh, people find it almost impossible to make the “th” sound with their tongue pressed behind their teeth, so I knew Stanzin was saying “this”.

Students "seemed to have found the secret to happiness; virtually everyone I got to know in this remote village was the same. I’m not suggesting that people in developing nations don’t struggle with mental health, but I did know that there was something very special about the attitude of these villagers."
there were three principles they practised every day that were key to their resilient world view and happy disposition: gratitude (the ability to pay attention to what you have instead of worrying about what you don’t have); empathy (the ability to feel what another person is feeling) and mindfulness (the ability to focus on the present moment)...

a simple technique: to write down three things that went well each day, every day, along with an explanation for why each good thing happened.

On return to Australia, developed The Resilience Project.
He spoken at Melbourne Storm, other NRL clubs, Richmond, Collingwood.

Earlier this year, Dustin (Martin) and I spoke at a conference together. He told the audience he was up to 1086 consecutive days of doing the Resilience Project journal.

Pendlebury said: And by the way, next time you’re watching, pay close attention to Adam Treloar. If you can get a photo of his wrist, just have a close look.” “How come?” I asked. “Just have a look.” It turned out that after the Resilience Project talk, star midfielder Treloar – who has since revealed he’s battled severe anxiety during his career – had started writing “DIS” in large black letters on his wrist strapping before every game, tapping his wrist and saying to himself, “Adam, you are blessed”.

Perhaps Hugh van Cuylenberg should be invited to speak at the Bloods?
This is good advice. I've asked my teenage boys to follow it.

I noticed on the web page the Swans are listed as one of the clubs participating in the programme. https://theresilienceproject.com.au/sports-clubs/

A friend of mine has developed a similar programme for schools in the UK. She started it at the private school my boys attended and has since engaged more schools. It's great that mental health has lost its stigma and is being treated seriously.

Last edited:
This is good advice. I've asked my teenage boys to follow it.

I noticed on the web page the Swans are listed as one of the clubs participating in the programme. https://theresilienceproject.com.au/sports-clubs/

A friend of mine has developed a similar programme for schools in the UK. She started it at the private school my boys attended and has since engaged more schools. It's great that mental health has lost its stigma and is being treated seriously.
Thanks bungee for the link :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Richmond team of the decade? 3 utterly dominant seasons.
I believe recency bias is affecting your judgement. Over the entire decade I'd have to rate 1. Hawks 2. Swans 3. Cats. All three of these teams were dominant for much more of the decade, only missing finals once. Richmond finished strongly but missed finals altogether four times, though they did the only two GFs they played in. Swans played in three and were very unlucky not to win in 2016 (if poor umpiring can be deemed as bad luck). Geelong won only one but went deep into finals many years. Collingwood are probably 5th for the decade with one GF win and one loss, also missing the finals 4 times with WC bringing up the rear.

I believe recency bias is affecting your judgement. Over the entire decade I'd have to rate 1. Hawks 2. Swans 3. Cats. All three of these teams were dominant for much more of the decade, only missing finals once. Richmond finished strongly but missed finals altogether four times, though they did the only two GFs they played in. Swans played in three and were very unlucky not to win in 2016 (if poor umpiring can be deemed as bad luck). Geelong won only one but went deep into finals many years. Collingwood are probably 5th for the decade with one GF win and one loss, also missing the finals 4 times with WC bringing up the rear.

Should of been a three peat honestly they would of flogged the Eagles in 2018 especially if they gave up a 6 goal lead like they did to Collingwood.

I have them easily in the top 3 due to how dominant they were in GF's (yer i know MCG home ground factor)

Should of been a three peat honestly they would of flogged the Eagles in 2018 especially if they gave up a 6 goal lead like they did to Collingwood.

I have them easily in the top 3 due to how dominant they were in GF's (yer i know MCG home ground factor)

it's about flags

richmond won 2

sydney played more finals , woopie doo, who gives two shits, same as longmires fan club laud him for all the finals, and ignore he shits the bed so often

hawks team of the decade
tigers second

pies
cats
swans
dogs
eagles
all equal

it's about flags

richmond won 2

sydney played more finals , woopie doo, who gives two shits, same as longmires fan club laud him for all the finals, and ignore he shits the bed so often

hawks team of the decade
tigers second

pies
cats
swans
dogs
eagles
all equal

How does the age profile of Richmond stack up against the 3 peat Hawks side? i think they could be even better

it's about flags

richmond won 2

hawks team of the decade
tigers second

pies
cats
swans
dogs
eagles
all equal
Appreciate where you're coming from, but if we're talking best teams of the decade dogs have no business being in that list imo unless they're preceded by daylight. One hit wonders with a fair bit of help on the day. Other teams there have been significant contenders for decent stretches.

Imo we werent a flag contender in 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017, 2018 even tho we played finals.

We definitely were in 2017

I don't know what the hell happened in that semi final but that was not reflective at all of the season we had.

Seems no-one posted Titus O'Reily's brilliant end-of-year review. So here it is. Some great laughs.

OMG I had already forgotten what a priceless joke our game's administrators can be at times, and Titus nails them.

it's about flags

richmond won 2

hawks team of the decade
tigers second

pies
cats
swans
dogs
eagles
all equal
For you maybe. Richmond were s**t for almost half the decade. We were s**t last year. I never understood your Horse hate but I don't need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back