No Oppo Supporters 2019 General AFL Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
After being 2-7, North Melbourne have now gone 5-1 with Shaw. Very impressive from Rhyce, but not surprising after the reviews of him with our reserves

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
They have their future coach right infront of them not sure why they are chasing ours.
Best win was against the Pies and they were competitive in their lost to the Giants. Outside of that they have beaten Suns, Saints and undermanned Tigers.

He’s done a great job but North since Pagan left have gone down the rookie coach appointment path. It may be why they are chasing an experienced coach this time around.

Really pleased for the Brions. They are fun to watch.

and built themselves up, i admire the list building, especially as they lost players to go home factors

and built themselves up, i admire the list building, especially as they lost players to go home factors

I went to the game when they got rolled by Footscray in Ballarat. They were well on top in the first half but failed to convert umpteen chances. The Bont played a great great game and Footscray jagged goals out of their backside.

Fagan and their list manager have done great work.

I went to the game when they got rolled by Footscray in Ballarat. They were well on top in the first half but failed to convert umpteen chances. The Bont played a great great game and Footscray jagged goals out of their backside.

Fagan and their list manager have done great work.

I know I keep harping on about this, but they are another example of why experience matters, and how one or two really solid trade periods can help. The team that beat GWS yesterday averaged 104 games played, more than GWS and 31 games more than we had against the Bombers. Part of that experience - like Neale, Robinson, Lyons, Hodge, Cameron, Christensen - came from other clubs, and four of those in the last few years alone. That is basically the nucleus of their team, including their current 2 of 3 best on-ballers, the leader of their defence, and their leading goal-kicker.

That experience is the difference for them, and why they went from 15th and five wins, to where they are now, in 4th with ten wins. Now we're not even as bad as Brisbane were in 2018, so imagine what just one or two more experienced heads, even if they're not stars but just solid contributors, could do for us next year. Really hope it's on the clubs agenda, instead of another draft haul.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
It doesn't matter what game style a team has & how well they may be going.
Take Geelong for example against the Dogs. It was not unlike an old Swan's performance by the Cats just looking at the stats.
Free kicks: Dogs 28 Cats 13
Rohan 10 disposals to half time, 2 more for the rest of the match when the heat was on.

I'm comforted that it's not just us.

I'd abolish our coach , it was a joy to watch the Lions again , even played attractive footy last year and had a few narrow defeats.

More attacking footy in lower grades than afl this year and they don’t have the 6 6 6 rule

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
I’d abolish the 6 6 6 rule

I think the logic behind the rule is good but it only affects the play from centre bounces. Beyond that, the game is basically the same as it was last year as I can see it. The half forwards push way up the field to congest the midfield and few forwards are kept close to goal. And extra men in defence are commonplace.

I don't think abolishing the 6-6-6 rule is gonna do anything positive for the look of the game - it would just mean a return to loose man in defence and uneven even more congestion. Particularly given how good senior teams and coaches are at manipulating game plans to be more defensive, the game would probably carry on how it is, which is where it was going last year really. The trend has just continued. You'd have to do something different to get more open play. Limit interchange numbers, extend the 6-6-6 rule, less men on the bench, something like that. Not sure which I'm in favour of though without thinking about it.

I’d abolish the 6 6 6 rule

Why? It’s literally done nothing other than given an importance to having a competent ruckman.

Lions are awesome to watch with this rule, ditto West Coast. Hasn’t stopped them playing exciting footy

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
It not the 6 6 6 rule that is causing issues. Its only in effect after goals and at the start of quarters so not as often to have much effect. Teams will still flood. The biggest rule change has been allowing teams to play on from kick in's after behinds. It allows team to bottle the ball in between the arcs and then set up defensively knowing if a goal is scored their defensive set ups will be unsettled for 30-40 seconds after the bounce.

Why? It’s literally done nothing other than given an importance to having a competent ruckman.

Lions are awesome to watch with this rule, ditto West Coast. Hasn’t stopped them playing exciting footy

It doesn’t achieve anything

The interchange cap

All these bullshit things the umps are watching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back