No Oppo Supporters 2019 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll give you one small anecdote.

I was at the 2017 AFL International Cup and the world champion Canadian women's football team was playing Fiji
and expected to win quite easily. Eleven minutes before full time the scores were locked tied and remained tied until full time
when the game moved into extra time. It took a further six minutes for Canada to score the winning point.
For 17 minutes the score was tied and the game see-sawed from end to the other.
I have never seen a crowd so exhausted from barracking. That truly was a game of football.

IMO close competition is more important than skill from a spectacle p.o.v.

I was at the 2017 AFL International Cup and the world champion Canadian women's football team was playing Fiji
and expected to win quite easily. Eleven minutes before full time the scores were locked tied and remained tied until full time
when the game moved into extra time. It took a further six minutes for Canada to score the winning point.
I have never seen a crowd so exhausted from barracking. That truly was a game of football.

OK so you don't get it, although you're right about the contest being more important than the aesthetic quality of the football.

Hang on a sec. Do you people think men play Australian football because they're inspired by the AFL?
People in general don't continue to play Australian Rules because of the AFL. They play it because of the quality of the game itself. But many are inspired to try the game for the first time because of the AFL, people who might otherwise be inspired by the EPL or NRL to play a different sport. People aspiring to the very top level of the game, or of top level sports in general however, are certainly inspired by the AFL and the opportunities it offers them. If they face a decision about what sport to pursue to the highest level then what is happening at the AFL and what is happening at Cricket Australia or the A-League or whatever other code they could potentially follow is very much at the forefront of their motivations.

The same would be true for AFLW.

No .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

OK so you don't get it.

That's right, I don't get why you're frozen in a time warp and unable to comprehend modern trends.

although you're right about the contest being more important than the aesthetic quality of the football.

That's not exactly what I was saying.
A close contest is better than a one-sided blow-out. I still prefer a shootout over an arm-wrestle.
As for "aesthetic qualities" that is a different question altogether.
A lot of Australians think that the aesthetics of football is due to the general skill level whereas the opposite is true.
In W.A. at least, where the grounds were and still are 'fast', football was at it's aesthetic best in the WAFL pre AFL.
Why/ because there was a noticeable gap between the natural champions and other footballers.
Today, in the AFL we have trained champions intensely coached on defensive tactics.

People in general don't continue to play Australian Rules because of the AFL. They play it because of the quality of the game itself. But many are inspired to try the game for the first time because of the AFL, people who might otherwise be inspired by the EPL or NRL to play a different sport. People aspiring to the very top level of the game, or of top level sports in general however, are certainly inspired by the AFL and the opportunities it offers them. If they face a decision about what sport to pursue to the highest level then what is happening at the AFL and what is happening at Cricket Australia or the A-League or whatever other code they could potentially follow is very much at the forefront of their motivations.

So what’s the social advantage in them playing AFL over soccer?

You should underline "don't continue to play". I'm involved with people from overseas who play Australian Football.
Seeing an AFL game or seeing AFL on television rates highly as to why people start playing Australian Football.
What makes people continue to play is the game itself.
I would say that most players are motivated by the thought of playing for their country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously. I'll speak slowly so you can follow.

Unilike you, some people like women playing football.
Some people who like women playing football attend women's football games and watch it on television.
There is sufficient following for women's Australian Football that it can be expanded to at least each team playing each other once.
The AFL, for some reason are not prepared to give the AFLW it's due.
Nothing unusual there. The AFL does not adequately compensate grassroots football for producing AFL players.

I like women’s footy , but its not attractive football at this stage.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m really confused as to what you people want here.
Do you want an enhanced social outcome for women or an enhanced commercial outcome for the AFL?

Coming to this interesting discussion but my two bobs worth is as follows-
1 I'd like as many kids to have the chance to play and enjoy the game. I was ordinary but I can remember passages of play or knocks in cricket from over 55 years ago. They still bring me joy now as I remember mates and the odd encouraging chat, similar to the one Bruce experienced.
2 Sure the numbers need to stack up and yes the standard is far from elite. But it is early days people.
3 AFLW I suspect attracts bigger crowds than the NEAFL. I think the women playing in AFLW and state and local leagues are pioneers. I do not begrudge them being paid more than currently is the case

You obviously don't understand business models in the modern world.

I suspect you might be right.

Every day I open my news app there’s another piece on “Brave Nadia Bartel”. Yesterday there were two.

For me it’s kind of like train wreck voyeurism. I used to scroll past then I read one to see what could possibly be the interest and found nothing but some funny comments.

Now I’m just intrigued as to how long they can drag out this insufferably boring soap opera.

And you know, it’s probably got to the point where people are hooked. Like The Bachelor or Masterchef.
So I think the new business model must be that if you just keep dishing up s**t often enough to people they become hooked on the s**t and buy it. It’s even better if you can insult into silence anyone who stands up and points out that the product being sold is, indeed, s**t.

Now I’m not saying women’s football is s**t in that sense. They want to play, like anyone else, then they should play. But like me, if the quality of the product you are producing is, from a commercial perspective, s**t, you’re not entitled to be paid for it. Just like I wasn’t.

I’m not a fan of Cornes by any imagination but he’s spot on in calling out Saints targeting Ben King

Kane Cornes is despised for some reason, but I really like him. I don't agree with about half of what he says, but he's forthright, doesn't stop himself from giving honest critiques like a lot of old players do, and has balls when he does it. Sometimes he goes over the top, but he's a breath of fresh air in the media.

And he's right here, it's rubbish that St.Kilda can already be in Ben King's ear to leave next year - and they wonder why Gold Coast is struggling to retain their players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back