Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
So West Coast lose pick 14, next year's similar pick (15-18) & pick 24 for Kelly, one of the top 3 midfielders in the land.

Yeah two first round picks but very late ones.
This has made me more & more confident that we will trade Paps for pick 9 & swap picks 9 & 25 (2225 points) with GWS for picks 12 & 18 (2253 points) & the usual exchange of later picks as a side show.
We will then use picks 12 & 18 as part of a deal for Daniher.

I was at the 2017 AFL International Cup and the world champion Canadian women's football team was playing Fiji
and expected to win quite easily. Eleven minutes before full time the scores were locked tied and remained tied until full time
when the game moved into extra time. It took a further six minutes for Canada to score the winning point.
For 17 minutes the score was tied and the game see-sawed from end to the other.
I have never seen a crowd so exhausted from barracking. That truly was a game of football.

IMO close competition is more important than skill from a spectacle p.o.v.
Nice story. Thanks for your contribution. However this clearly says no oppo posters so please respect our board rules.

Have a nice day.

ScottBo

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Just cleansed myself of all the Essendon talk on this board by watching the end of the 2017 on the siren win against them.
Favourite bits of commentary.

Five minutes to play...
Carey: "Well they (Essendon) know what this win means to them, they’ve been through so much. Three years of hell really."

One minute to the siren...
Bruce: "What a mark by Daniher"
BT: "Or was it Leo Barry?"

BT, you sly old fox, what did you know?

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Some interesting articles about $ and AFL V NRL.

GF:

Sydney club comparisons: Canterbury & Penrith incomes driven by huge clubs embedded in the heartland & pokermachine earnings

<a href="">

Last edited:

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
Some interesting articles about $ and AFL V NRL.

GF:

Sydney club comparisons

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Quick and dirty, but heres some Sydney club comparison stuff by request. Annual reports tricky to get exact matches on some line items. <a href="https://t.co/Aq0LJRa7jq">pic.twitter.com/Aq0LJRa7jq</a></p>&mdash; sportsindustry (@footyindustryAU) <a href="">

You wonder with the NRL clubs how much of their revenue is pokies money. Panthers, Dogs and Eels all have large licencesed clubs that fund the NRL teams and junior development. Given all three have barely played in finals in recent year the revenue numbers could reflect the pokies turnover.

Roosters have won back to back premierships buts its revenue is almost half of the Panthers and it has a smaller licensed club.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
You wonder with the NRL clubs how much of their revenue is pokies money. Panthers, Dogs and Eels all have large licencesed clubs that fund the NRL teams and junior development. Given all three have barely played in finals in recent year the revenue numbers could reflect the pokies turnover.

Roosters have won back to back premierships buts its revenue is almost half of the Panthers and it has a smaller licensed club.
It’s a huge missing link for Swans in Sydney. These clubs generate huge income irrelevant of ladder position.

However, incomes driven by gambling earnings. There’s no moral high ground to be found there.

Some details here

2. Western Suburbs (Newcastle) Leagues Club, Poker machines: 556, Revenue (last financial year): $101,145,000
7. Penrith Rugby League Club, Poker machines: 610, Revenue (last financial year): $66,754,000
10. Parramatta Leagues Club, Poker machines: 520, Revenue (last financial year): $54,177,399

Wentworthville Leagues Club, of course, has 541 machines and made $51,146,386 last year. There are three other clubs in the 500+ poker machines category: Western Suburbs League Club (Campbelltown) – 510 pokies

But they have Uncle Nick.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Thought I’d accidentally stumbled across the NRL Forum...
Just a discussion of earnings. Most of Swans money comes from membershi/ticketin/sponsorship, it’s interesting to look at comparisons.

But if you want we can talk about the rumours floating about on the Magpies salary cap being filled to the brim and offers flying in to Grundy and De Groey. Ed must be going spare cause AFL are apparently keeping a keen eye on their contracts atm

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Just a discussion of earnings. Most of Swans money comes from membershi/ticketin/sponsorship, it’s interesting to look at comparisons.

But if you want we can talk about the rumours floating about on the Magpies salary cap being filled to the brim and offers flying in to Grundy and De Groey. Ed must be going spare cause AFL are apparently keeping a keen eye on their contracts atm
I’d rather that Tick because it was definitely going in the wrong direction (I like NRL but I’m not here for that).

kelpie_X

Club Legend
Jul 26, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I think though that it's foolish for certain advocates for AFLW to be starting to cry about narrowing the gender pay gap.

The pay for football is derived from the entertainment value. That male footballers get paid is simply a consequence of people wanting to watch them do what they have been doing, for its own sake, for over 100 years.

It really is very rich for the female players, having had the fame and fortune carpet laid out for them, ignoring the quality of the entertainment product they are producing, to be now demanding over and above what they have already. Male footballers are working harder, and playing harder, in far worse conditions than the AFLW players are for much less reward.
AFLW is as ******* boring as BATSHIT

kelpie_X

Club Legend
Jul 26, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I was at the 2017 AFL International Cup and the world champion Canadian women's football team was playing Fiji
and expected to win quite easily. Eleven minutes before full time the scores were locked tied and remained tied until full time
when the game moved into extra time. It took a further six minutes for Canada to score the winning point.
For 17 minutes the score was tied and the game see-sawed from end to the other.
I have never seen a crowd so exhausted from barracking. That truly was a game of football.

IMO close competition is more important than skill from a spectacle p.o.v.
Great story

Sooo
Port Adelaide stole their logo from someone on BF 4 years ago

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies

“I think that Ben King is about $1.10 to be at St Kilda by 2021,” Ralph told Fox Footy’s Trading Day.

“But then of course, Max and Ben, the new Nick Riewoldt and Justin Koschitzke, I think you put your house on that one.”

Atta boy, Jon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back