Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Heard somewhere that King and Lukosius made a pact that if one stayed they both stayed.
Another urban legend for the wall.

Not giving you crap, Scary. Just wondering sometimes how these things start and morph over time

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I get the warm feelings for poor old Gold Coast.. but worth keeping half an eye on them
Rankine, Lukosius, King, Rowell, Anderson + a few other very recent first round picks + 2 more next year + you can bank on a few guns coming from their Darwin Rookie deal
In a few years,, thats a scary list!

I get the warm feelings for poor old Gold Coast.. but worth keeping half an eye on them
Rankine, Lukosius, King, Rowell, Anderson + a few other very recent first round picks + 2 more next year + you can bank on a few guns coming from their Darwin Rookie deal
In a few years,, thats a scary list!
Is it scarier than Steven May, David Swallow, Harley Bennell, Sam Day, Josh Caddy, Dion Prestia, Tom Lynch, Seb Tape, Zac Smith, Rory Thompson, Charlie Dixon, Mav Weller, Josh Toy, Trent McKenzie, Brandon Matera?

No. That's their "scary list" from 2010

Interesting article from Jake Niall
"Kids from a private school - once considered "soft" - are now almost 4 times as likely to be drafted in @AFL as a state school kid.
A quarter of the past 2 drafts are from just 11 elite (APS) schools in Vic
"

A later comment by Jake in the thread
"Brighton Grammar defied numbers- only about half the Yr 12 enrolment of Scotch, Caulf GS, Haileybury, St Kevin's, Xavier - to win 3 flags. Must've had a good coach then!"

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
A really interesting read SwansProudly The AFL have to be very careful how this goes forward. They could end up isolating and disenfranchised the players they need for a larger competition

No mention of the Northern states in this, I know LRT was private school not sure about any others, although a fair few of the Riverina boys were hunted by Vic private school.

Speaking of the Riverina district, where’s that huge flux of players the Giants were snaring/stealing gone to now? Completley dropped off the map now their under norm draft rules

AFL to cut down the half-time break !!!!
A surprise development, the idea is a tentative proposal and includes shorter quarter-time breaks of six minutes.
Half-time could be slashed from 20 minutes to just 10.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
On the bright side though, if it means we get less half-time "entertainment" at grounds I'm all for it :rainbow:

On the bright side though, if it means we get less half-time "entertainment" at grounds I'm all for it :rainbow:
Sweet Caroline is only 3 minutes 21 seconds, so we can still get it in at any of the breaks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. Drove over our freshly put down grass at our property in his Range Rover. :mad:
Also let his his polo pony chew the corners of our picnic blanket one time. Not to mention when my mate was building a sandcastle, and Gil skiid straight into it on purpose (who takes f***ing snow skis to the beach?!).

Aristocratic w***er.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Surely technology has got to a point where they can put a chip in the ball that tracks it and can measure a deviation, that the ball crossed the line (goals or boundary) and even if it went through the goals!

Anyway...
As if they would cut down the playtime for networks. Networks probably figure that at half time people walk away to do s**t and don’t see their ads. They won’t cut the runtime of the “show” which will allow longer periods for advertisers with viewers watching pre and post match shows.

Finally, the next idea in the same article of having a player driven review system? Seriously!

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Surely technology has got to a point where they can put a chip in the ball that tracks it and can measure a deviation, that the ball crossed the line (goals or boundary) and even if it went through the goals!

Anyway...
As if they would cut down the playtime for networks. Networks probably figure that at half time people walk away to do s**t and don’t see their ads. They won’t cut the runtime of the “show” which will allow longer periods for advertisers with viewers watching pre and post match shows.

Finally, the next idea in the same article of having a player driven review system? Seriously!

The existing technology in cricket coverage with snicko and hotspot could do the job easily. My guess is they don’t want to pay for the rights NOR it seems invest in high magnification cameras that show the ball/ post with clarity rather than blurred crap vision we currently have. Totally unprofessional

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Brandon Jack provides his thoughts on increasing draft age by a year

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Brandon Jack provides his thoughts on increasing draft age by a year

I actually can't stand most of his thoughts. It was so good to see young players like Tim Watson at 15 make his debut. Never affected him. Not every kid is trying to go to UNI.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
I actually can't stand most of his thoughts. It was so good to see young players like Tim Watson at 15 make his debut. Never affected him. Not every kid is trying to go to UNI.
At that time, which was pretty much my time, it wasn‘t unusual for kids to leave school and start working. Move out of home by 17. Most AFL players were also working.

The difference now, which the article is referring to zi think, is that most don’t get as much exposure as they probably should to life outside the professional bubble.

I think every kid is different, some are going to adapt and some aren’t. And as someone who never went to Uni, I’m more than aware of different paths suiting different people.

Maybe there’s some who can’t play and some who can

If I had a 17 year old son or 16 year old who is mature and ready why should his ability to play and earn money be inhibited because of others

Society trying to fix everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back