No Oppo Supporters 2019 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think you would get some value out of a read up on clinical depression. Hits anyone, young or old, rich or poor and eats you from the inside. Your outside circumstances are pretty irrelevant. Don't know if it's Beams' issue or not. None of my business anyway.

I've mentioned on here a long time ago KC, that I have a close family member that doesn't have anyone covering up what her depression stems from. As a family though we know.
You are 100% correct with your above post. Have no idea with the Beams scenario & like you say none of our business but I am very annoyed at how the AFL & other big sporting organisations of this country, dress it up under a certain banner in order to not tarnish their sport.
I call BULLOSHAT!

I've mentioned on here a long time ago KC, that I have a close family member that doesn't have anyone covering up what her depression stems from. As a family though we know.
You are 100% correct with your above post. Have no idea with the Beams scenario & like you say none of our business but I am very annoyed at how the AFL & other big sporting organisations of this country, dress it up under a certain banner in order to not tarnish their sport.
I call BULLOSHAT!
If you have no idea about what is going on for Beams, as you acknowledge, how can you be so certain that the situation is being "dressed up"?

I don't know much at all.
But you do?

I know enough not to make stupid comments suggesting that professional athletes find themselves in a privileged situation in which they can't suffer from legitimate, serious mental health problems or to smear a player who it is claimed is suffering from mental health problems by suggesting their honesty is merely a PR scam to save face.

I know enough not to make stupid comments suggesting that professional athletes find themselves in a privileged situation in which they can't suffer from legitimate, serious mental health problems or to smear a player who it is claimed is suffering from mental health problems by suggesting their honesty is merely a PR scam to save face.
They also have the best access to the best care available compared to the everyday person and yes, the AFL are number one at covering things up for certain scenarios. Of course not all are in the category that I suggest but the self reporting/3 strikes farce opened up a can of worms & it's a smack in the face to those people that genuinely have depression.

Without trying to downplay it at all, I do think mental health has become a convenient catch all in sporting circles to explain away what were previously seen as self-inflicted maladies (gambling addiction, drug addiction, even violence, etc). It's tricky, because addiction is obviously a mental health issue, but you don't get addicted unless you start partaking in the first place so there is a huge personal responsibility element which seems to get pushed to the background these days. Everything is now the result of external factors and societal pressures so nothing is ever actually the fault of the perpetrator.

The other problem of course is the complete and total lack of integrity and transparency that comes out of the AFL so my immediate response to anything is to doubt it.

Without trying to downplay it at all, I do think mental health has become a convenient catch all in sporting circles to explain away what were previously seen as self-inflicted maladies (gambling addiction, drug addiction, even violence, etc). It's tricky, because addiction is obviously a mental health issue, but you don't get addicted unless you start partaking in the first place so there is a huge personal responsibility element which seems to get pushed to the background these days. Everything is now the result of external factors and societal pressures so nothing is ever actually the fault of the perpetrator.

The other problem of course is the complete and total lack of integrity and transparency that comes out of the AFL so my immediate response to anything is to doubt it.

That won’t go unnoticed by our expert on here .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without trying to downplay it at all, I do think mental health has become a convenient catch all in sporting circles to explain away what were previously seen as self-inflicted maladies
The view that addiction is a self-inflicted issue that lies mostly with personal choice and responsibility is one with a pretty severe misunderstanding of issues around mental health, about on the same level as "They're rich sportsmen, how can they have depression?"
There is only 1 doing it , I said about 3 Vic cricketers having different MH issues and got attacked . Maybe GTG it's the wrong thread.
Someone taking an opposing view to yours or pointing out the weaknesses in your statements isn't you being attacked.

Last edited:
The view that addiction is a self-inflicted issue that lies mostly with personal choice and responsibility is one with a pretty severe misunderstanding of issues around mental health, about on the same level as "They're rich sportsmen, how can they have depression?"

Someone taking an opposing view to yours or pointing out the weaknesses in your statements isn't you being attacked.
It's pathetic how you 2 gang up on those with opposing views. Some on here have Mental Illness , as do many in life , you and your mate need to pull back and stop trying to put others down with different views . If yourself and the other K are qualified to tell us more on the MH issue please enlighten us.

wwwwwwwwwwwww
It's pathetic how you 2 gang up on those with opposing views. Some on here have Mental Illness , as do many in life , you and your mate need to pull back and stop trying to put others down with different views.
Bedford, over the course of our discussions on things like Australia Day, gay marriage, drug legalisation, whether someone who repeatedly punches other people when they're not able to respond is a 'good bloke' and now mental health, you've attempted to call me a commie as an insult, referred to me as a DH (which I'm pretty sure of the meaning of), repeatedly gone off on tangents about how I must be perfect or think something of myself. I don't think you're in a position to discuss putting others down because they have a different view.

With very few exceptions (I won't claim to be perfect) I have almost always addressed what you were saying or the point of view you were putting forward. If you cannot take your view being questioned or disputed on an open forum, don't post it.

Bedford, over the course of our discussions on things like Australia Day, gay marriage, drug legalisation, whether someone who repeatedly punches other people when they're not able to respond is a 'good bloke' and now mental health, you've attempted to call me a commie as an insult, referred to me as a DH (which I'm pretty sure of the meaning of), repeatedly gone off on tangents about how I must be perfect or think something of myself. I don't think you're in a position to discuss putting others down because they have a different view.

With very few exceptions (I won't claim to be perfect) I have almost always addressed what you were saying or the point of view you were putting forward. If you cannot take your view being questioned or disputed on an open forum, don't post it.
Sorry the reply should have been to the other K.
Also when did I call you a commie ?

It's pathetic how you 2 gang up on those with opposing views. Some on here have Mental Illness , as do many in life , you and your mate need to pull back and stop trying to put others down with different views . If yourself and the other K are qualified to tell us more on the MH issue please enlighten us.

It is pathetic that you think the two of us simultaneously disagreeing with you is "ganging up on you". This is a disussion board. We discuss things. Not everyone is going to agree all the time. If you can't handle people disagreeing with your opinions, don't share them in the first place or just block the people who disagree.

As Kummerspeck said:

A number of posters have neverthless made these suggestions in this thread and dug their heels in when we disagreed with them.

We disagreed with them because they are:

1. Factually incorrect.

2. Stimatising to people with mental health issues and as a result counter productive to those people seeking help.

This conversation started because a footballer with a serious mental health problem felt he had to step away from the game. No doubt a difficult decision for him, also a difficult thing to acknowledge publicly. What followed was a number of posters making insinuations that this player wasn't really suffering from a mental health problem, that it was just a PR facade to cover up something more sinister. When challenged on this, it was clear that there was no reason or evidence for making this suggestion.

Beams gets groundlessly labelled a fraud for taking the difficult step to be open about his mental health problems... How do you think that serves us a community trying to make it easier for people to acknowledge their mental health challenges? Do you think it contributes to that effort?

I'd like to think that this board is better than that.

I don't see how addiction is not a self inflicted problem? You can't get addicted to something unless you start partaking in something. I will never become a meth addict because I will never take meth.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that once addicted, it's just a matter of personal responsibility to get clean and those who can't are just weak willed or whatever. Obviously that's not the case, and once addiction grabs hold of someone it's very difficult to get out of it. I'm also not saying that because it was self inflicted, we should not have empathy for those in addiction or withhold support or anything of that nature.

Take Ben Cousins, for example. Wouldn't you say his current state in life is self inflicted? He wanted to take party drugs to have a good time and that lead him into a spiral of ever worsening addiction to the point where his life has hit rock bottom. He clearly has mental illness, but I wouldn't classify it the same as depression.

I think that's my issue - by using it as a catch all to cover any number of things actually does a disservice to those with depression. Depression is genuinely out of the control of the one suffering from it.

So the point is the AFL have obviously started using mental illness as a catch all, from drug, alcohol and gambling addiction all the way to depression. So people have started second guessing the official word. The AFL only have themselves to blame because we've just finished a decade where we've seen an incredible amount of cover ups and attempts to sweep things under the rug by the AFL.

I don't see how addiction is not a self inflicted problem? You can't get addicted to something unless you start partaking in something. I will never become a meth addict because I will never take meth.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that once addicted, it's just a matter of personal responsibility to get clean and those who can't are just weak willed or whatever. Obviously that's not the case, and once addiction grabs hold of someone it's very difficult to get out of it. I'm also not saying that because it was self inflicted, we should not have empathy for those in addiction or withhold support or anything of that nature.

Take Ben Cousins, for example. Wouldn't you say his current state in life is self inflicted? He wanted to take party drugs to have a good time and that lead him into a spiral of ever worsening addiction to the point where his life has hit rock bottom. He clearly has mental illness, but I wouldn't classify it the same as depression.

I think that's my issue - by using it as a catch all to cover any number of things actually does a disservice to those with depression. Depression is genuinely out of the control of the one suffering from it.

So the point is the AFL have obviously started using mental illness as a catch all, from drug, alcohol and gambling addiction all the way to depression. So people have started second guessing the official word. The AFL only have themselves to blame because we've just finished a decade where we've seen an incredible amount of cover ups and attempts to sweep things under the rug by the AFL.

Have a read/watch of this guy, Gabor Mate, a leading expert on addiction:

Is the 20% discount of F/S, Academy and the NGA rort still applicable for the 2020 draft or has it finally got the chop?

I know we have at least two potentially first/second round picks next year, but I reckon the ability to match a bid is a big enough bonus/incentive without getting them points cheap as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back