2019 General AFL Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Could only find the 2018 version so I figured I'd create a 2019 version. Any general AFL discussions should go in here.

Earlier this year people claimed we were 1-2 years behind Brisbane in terms of our development and I think it's an interesting comparison but is it apt? Let's have a look at Brisbane's 2017 & 2018 results and compare them to ours this year:

R1 - '17 BL def. GC by 2 points / '18 BL def. by StK by 25 points / GC def. by StK by 1 point
R2 - '17 BL def. by Ess by 27 points / '18 BL def. by Mel by 26 points / GC def. Fre by 3 points
R3 - '17 BL def. StK by 31 points / '18 BL def. by PA by 5 points / GC def. WB by 5 points
R4 - '17 BL def. by Ric by 52 points / '18 BL def. by Ric by 93 points / GC def. Car by 2 points
R5 - '17 BL def. by WB by 32 points / '18 BL def. by GC by 5 points / GC def. by Ade by 73 points
R6 - '17 BL def. by PA by 83 points / '18 BL def. by GWS by 34 points / GC def. by BL by 49 points
R7 - '17 BL def. by Syd by 54 points / '18 BL def. by Col by 7 points / GC def. by WC by 23 points
R8 - '17 BL def. by Haw by 38 points / '18 BL def. by WC by 14 points / GC def. by Mel by 1 point
R9 - '17 BL def. by Ade by 80 points / '18 BL def. Haw by 56 points / GC def. by 38 points

Above you will see I bolded wins and italicised games decided by less than a goal. Brisbane had just one win in the first 9 rounds of the 2017 season and that also happened to be the only game they played through that stretch that was decided by less than a goal. Also worth mentioning 7 of their 9 games were 30+ point losses and that usually indicates it wasn't a close game. Now let's skip forward a year and see how they went in 2018. Still just one win over their first 9 rounds but the margins certainly decreased. Only 2 of their 9 games were 30+ point losses and they played in 2 games that were decided by less than a goal.

Now we move onto our performances this year. We have 3 wins on the board to date and have played in 5 games that were decided by less than a goal. 3 of our losses this year have been 30+ point defeats. So what does it mean? With the exception of a few games, we've been very competitive for most of the season so far. We're also winning tight games in 2019 and that's something the Lions of yesteryear weren't doing.

So how far off the Lions are we really? I'm inclined to say it could be as little as 6 months given the data I'm looking at. We just need to land a Lachie Neale type in the off season and we'd almost definitely be in the top 8 right now.

Underlining part of Lions success this year is their unprecedented run with injuries. This is 3rd year Lions have the best injury list allowing them to build synergy, cohesion over the last couple of years. Also it's worth noticing they field a quite mature team usually 1-2 years older than Suns.

Could only find the 2018 version so I figured I'd create a 2019 version. Any general AFL discussions should go in here.

Earlier this year people claimed we were 1-2 years behind Brisbane in terms of our development and I think it's an interesting comparison but is it apt? Let's have a look at Brisbane's 2017 & 2018 results and compare them to ours this year:

R1 - '17 BL def. GC by 2 points / '18 BL def. by StK by 25 points / GC def. by StK by 1 point
R2 - '17 BL def. by Ess by 27 points / '18 BL def. by Mel by 26 points / GC def. Fre by 3 points
R3 - '17 BL def. StK by 31 points / '18 BL def. by PA by 5 points / GC def. WB by 5 points
R4 - '17 BL def. by Ric by 52 points / '18 BL def. by Ric by 93 points / GC def. Car by 2 points
R5 - '17 BL def. by WB by 32 points / '18 BL def. by GC by 5 points / GC def. by Ade by 73 points
R6 - '17 BL def. by PA by 83 points / '18 BL def. by GWS by 34 points / GC def. by BL by 49 points
R7 - '17 BL def. by Syd by 54 points / '18 BL def. by Col by 7 points / GC def. by WC by 23 points
R8 - '17 BL def. by Haw by 38 points / '18 BL def. by WC by 14 points / GC def. by Mel by 1 point
R9 - '17 BL def. by Ade by 80 points / '18 BL def. Haw by 56 points / GC def. by 38 points

Above you will see I bolded wins and italicised games decided by less than a goal. Brisbane had just one win in the first 9 rounds of the 2017 season and that also happened to be the only game they played through that stretch that was decided by less than a goal. Also worth mentioning 7 of their 9 games were 30+ point losses and that usually indicates it wasn't a close game. Now let's skip forward a year and see how they went in 2018. Still just one win over their first 9 rounds but the margins certainly decreased. Only 2 of their 9 games were 30+ point losses and they played in 2 games that were decided by less than a goal.

Now we move onto our performances this year. We have 3 wins on the board to date and have played in 5 games that were decided by less than a goal. 3 of our losses this year have been 30+ point defeats. So what does it mean? With the exception of a few games, we've been very competitive for most of the season so far. We're also winning tight games in 2019 and that's something the Lions of yesteryear weren't doing.

So how far off the Lions are we really? I'm inclined to say it could be as little as 6 months given the data I'm looking at. We just need to land a Lachie Neale type in the off season and we'd almost definitely be in the top 8 right now.
I like your optimism. We’ll need a great run with injuries though as Jirik13 has pointed out to bridge the gap. The Lions have one of, if not the best medical and conditioning teams in the AFL.

I like your optimism. We’ll need a great run with injuries though as Jirik13 has pointed out to bridge the gap. The Lions have one of, if not the best medical and conditioning teams in the AFL.
Well I guess it's time for us to invest more in our medical and conditioning team.

Well I guess it's time for us to invest more in our medical and conditioning team.
I think Rigby has been a big improvement to date although we’ve only got a small sample size. But yes definitely the more we can keep our best 22 on the field the faster we should start to see improvement.

As a NRL bogan buffoon I’m stunned Dale Thomas didn’t get two weeks and the AFL world is generally acceptable of a fine for calling the Ump an “fudge-ing cheat”.
Behind the fences the referees cop it big time but even the boofhead hard as nails from the wrong side of the fence League players the world over at all levels know if you besmirch the referee integrity in such a repulsive way then it’s scandalous and you are in a world of hurt.

SUNS how are your colleagues reacting to this Lettuce Leaf fine??

Absolutely. I count arguably 5 of our best 22 missing last week - Hanley, Thompson, Miller, Rankine and possibly Ah Chee. Normally we’ missing about 10-12 by now.
If we can keep this up for the rest of this year and next year, i think we can give the 8 a crack the following year. It takes a whilst for a team to gel and with the amount of injuries we normally have we have never really been able to do that

As a NRL bogan buffoon I’m stunned Dale Thomas didn’t get two weeks and the AFL world is generally acceptable of a fine for calling the Ump an “fudge-ing cheat”.
Behind the fences the referees cop it big time but even the boofhead hard as nails from the wrong side of the fence League players the world over at all levels know if you besmirch the referee integrity in such a repulsive way then it’s scandalous and you are in a world of hurt.

SUNS how are your colleagues reacting to this Lettuce Leaf fine??

I'm not too sure mate, have not heard much yet. Every week umpires every field umpire gets criticised or argued with for making a bad decision. No different to fans bagging players for having a bad kick or missing a goal. Being called a cheat though is a different story. Questions integrity over ability and that is not on. At local level there are two sorts of umpires who would react in vastly different ways to this happening

Umpire 1: Would report him, send him straight to tribunal and probably watch him get 1-2 weeks

Umpire 2: Would call him a tosser, tell him to go engage in sexual activities with his mother and pet dog, probably give the opposition a spiteful 50m penalty and then let it go.

Big Red Machine Iva Bigun Lord_Flashheart - Which one am I?

I'm not too sure mate, have not heard much yet. Every week umpires every field umpire gets criticised or argued with for making a bad decision. No different to fans bagging players for having a bad kick or missing a goal. Being called a cheat though is a different story. Questions integrity over ability and that is not on. At local level there are two sorts of umpires who would react in vastly different ways to this happening

Umpire 1: Would report him, send him straight to tribunal and probably watch him get 1-2 weeks

Umpire 2: Would call him a tosser, tell him to go engage in sexual activities with his mother and pet dog, probably give the opposition a spiteful 50m penalty and then let it go.

2 but you would want to video the act with the dog

Replace mother with sister but yeah, basically 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Brad Scott hey.........
Sliding doors moment for him a few years ago when we were chasing him. Seems pretty unlikely he'll get another chance as a senior coach with the way things have worked out with the Kangas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back