VFL 2019 GFC VFL - The Bankers Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okunbor is the best.. sounds promising.
I didn't see the game, but I suspect they said to him, play deep in defence and just harass and beat your man. I'm guessing he executed well. There was probably nothing offensive in his game, but he might have blanketed his opposition, which is a good start. Athletically he may be ahead of many in the VFL.

Cunico has put on some definite size.

Tarca looks like a monster for his size, I like it a lot. I said earlier in a thread somewhere that I expected Tarca based on his body shape to get to 82kgs with no probs. He stands at 177cm now. So that's perfectly acceptable imo for a small forward.

Capiron as a Forward will be interesting to assess over a full VFL season. I always thought he was good enough for the AFL. If he can prove as a marking forward type, he may be a cheap option to bolster the medium marking types for our forward line.

This kid looks to have the frame to really get some size in a year or two

screen-shot-2019-03-24-at-7-42-43-am-png.640635
That'd be Schlensog, the academy pick.

OK - back to VFL after a very interesting evening WATCHING FOOTY!

The good. Abbott, Brownless.

The bad - lots of it. Stage fright, confused and confusing umpiring, lack of vigour.

Saw enough to make me think that Abbott is 18 months ahead of Fort and at AFL level. Jumped over 201 and 203cm opponents, good follow up work at ground level, one very good pack mark and generally involved around the ground.

Brownless started well with a couple of early possessions then after a quiet 30 minutes really got into it. Should be a steal this one. He hunts the footy and knows what to do when he gets it. He has that urgency that others don't have. Wills himself to the bottom of contests. Will be an interesting journey.

JJ played deep in defence and looked very comfortable - organised and busy. Used his body well, pace out of defence and lovely long kicks. Looked much better with ball in front of him. Looked like Bates but with much more nous and much stronger body.

Buzza - only tall after Abbott to get involved (73 and 81 showed a bit but) Buzza was the main big man at forward contests and if he had held all the marks he got his hands on would have been very effective. Contributed in a very ordinary effort. Mckernan for Bombers was far too good at the other end - I would have sent Buzza to him half way through the second myself. That would have been a good watch!

Cunico got lots of it playing back and was OK but still lacks any lust for the contest. Very outside. Just a praccy or will he get down and dirty when the real stuff starts ? For me thats the difference for him between handy AFL player and journeyman fringe dweller. (whereas JJ loved the hard stuff and in my eyes is now well ahead -if both playing back)

The newbies all looked out of sorts - overawed to be kind. Krueger showed a bit late (thumping kick), Jarvis a bit early in a disfunctional team effort where the ball rarely was delivered properly, Kennerly did the odd thing late but looks way off and his kicking was not what it was cracked up to be. Tarca rarely sighted.

Parsons stays in the reserves after another ordinary game. He is quick as, but like Cunico doesn't have the urgency (cf Brownless or JJ ), his kicking was way off to make matters worse. He needs to step up as the prime mid in the twos and that does require he gets down and dirty - no easy possessions in the VFL.

Okunbor played back and had an OK first hitout. It must have looked strange seeing the ball career into his half so often and so little organisation in the defensive midfield set up. Quite likes the body stuff. One poor kick but otherwise good for this stage. Blake S. was over awed and poor as a result. Poor work in the early minutes showed he lacks awareness for mine and a horror kick gifted a goal. Long way to go but he might do an Abbott on me and has 2 years ahead. Gore started Ok but looked very rusty. Will be valuable in VFL at worst.

Lack of KPD was glaring. That Reid? bloke did not play. No Siggins. Still like Floyd and Capiron. Zydbel had a crack as back up ruck........my pen has run out.

Good work there CW. I guess not much of that is a huge surprise given the loss of depth players. Will be keen to see how quick this starts to change.

This kid looks to have the frame to really get some size in a year or two

View attachment 640635

Pretty imposing for a first year rookie choice, also looking through the stats, Reid, 7 marks.
I guess that'd be Kyle Reid the big defender from Gippsland Power.
That's a pretty strong start from the key defender.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At worst a Cat B rookie who we couldn't have exchanged for anyone else anyway.

Yes sure worth a try ..just lets not plan everything around him being the "promised one" as if he one of the King twins. Odds say he doesnt reach elite level.. odds for most talls are not good for any tall drafted ..so some one as green as him .. long shot at a min.

Last edited:
Anywhere to watch a replay of VFL games outside australia? Really wanna track how Okunbor is getting on down under.
no.. we get SFA on VFL vision.

Only time is a replay on Ch7 online version is we make a game of the week in season.

There is supposed online radio stream coming but its regular season and you'll need a vpn for it.

GO Catters

I think Cunico is unlucky not to be in the firsts. He has the outside class and runs all day. Does the club rate Miers ahead of him? Btw, I think Miers is a good player.

I'd also bring in Henderson for Kolo in the firsts, but not sure they will do that.

I'm also a big wrap for Cunico - perfect winger and will suit the way we play with the new emphasis on speed and quick ball movement
The skipper on the wing now might make it slightly more difficult though :eek:

Anywhere to watch a replay of VFL games outside australia? Really wanna track how Okunbor is getting on down under.

Once the regular season begins the better, longer highlights videos are posted to this YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCguVGN-oAEwuddNERxA6Xfw/videos

But yes, although the whole games are all filmed it is not shared with the general public except in certain circumstances. And being a key defender means Okunbor is unlikely to appear in one of these highlights videos unless he's being scored on.

I'm also a big wrap for Cunico - perfect winger and will suit the way we play with the new emphasis on speed and quick ball movement
The skipper on the wing now might make it slightly more difficult though :eek:
I think Selwood's initial positioning on the wing at the bounce is to allow him to monitor and control the centre rotations, in the absence of runners.
I doubt he will play as a conventional winger once the action gets under way.

I think Selwood's initial positioning on the wing at the bounce is to allow him to monitor and control the centre rotations, in the absence of runners.
I doubt he will play as a conventional winger once the action gets under way.

I think that's right Fred - good response to the new rules by the Coaching Staff
In terms of possession check out his heat map - vast majority is on the wing to HFF so definitely a change for him so far at least

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back