VFL 2019 GFC VFL - The Bankers Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally opposite to my opinions on him. Moves like a banana slug and couldn't possibly hold down a key forward post. Holds his own in the ruck and started to improve as the year wore on. I think he bides his time in the VFL given Rat can ruck and hold down a key forward spot.

Nuh you look at form and try to cut the natural bias you seem to have.
Banana slug now weighs 105kg and out runs little Fogs.
I know you don't appreciate the big guys but look at the difference two big fwds made last night.
Opened it up for the rest so why stuff with that.

Last edited:
I know you don't appreciate the big guys but look at the difference two big fwds made last night.
I don't have any bias ... you on the other hand fall in love with a player then come across as being one of their parents.

I don't have any bias ... you on the other hand fall in love with a player then come across as being one of their parents.

Lol!..and what about you with little Foggy.
Seriously l do think this guy is a bit special with size speed agility and aggression.
He's a bit hungry in a similar way l see in Atkins, l like that.
To good for the two's.

Lol!..and what about you with little Foggy.
Seriously l do think this guy is a bit special with size speed agility and aggression.
He's a bit hungry in a similar way l see in Atkins, l like that.
To good for the two's.
Except he doesn't have speed. :drunk:

If you lined Mark Blake and Ryan Abbott up and told them to sprint 100 metres it'd be hard to pick a winner.

VFL Practice Match #1 Review
2019_03_09_VFL_HERO.png

"Oscar Brownless was amongst the Cats’ best, showing off his skillset in a tough match.

Geelong’s VFL side has suffered a heavy defeat in their first practice match of 2019, falling to Essendon, 4.10 (34) to 13.11 (89) in Thursday’s clash.

The Cats were slow to get into the game and remained out of the contest for most of the day.

In contrast, the Bombers came out firing, kicking four early goals to open up a 27-point lead at quarter time".

Read more here:

https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2019-03-08/vfl-positives-to-take-from-big-defeat

OK - back to VFL after a very interesting evening WATCHING FOOTY!

The good. Abbott, Brownless.

The bad - lots of it. Stage fright, confused and confusing umpiring, lack of vigour.

Saw enough to make me think that Abbott is 18 months ahead of Fort and at AFL level. Jumped over 201 and 203cm opponents, good follow up work at ground level, one very good pack mark and generally involved around the ground.

Brownless started well with a couple of early possessions then after a quiet 30 minutes really got into it. Should be a steal this one. He hunts the footy and knows what to do when he gets it. He has that urgency that others don't have. Wills himself to the bottom of contests. Will be an interesting journey.

JJ played deep in defence and looked very comfortable - organised and busy. Used his body well, pace out of defence and lovely long kicks. Looked much better with ball in front of him. Looked like Bates but with much more nous and much stronger body.

Buzza - only tall after Abbott to get involved (73 and 81 showed a bit but) Buzza was the main big man at forward contests and if he had held all the marks he got his hands on would have been very effective. Contributed in a very ordinary effort. Mckernan for Bombers was far too good at the other end - I would have sent Buzza to him half way through the second myself. That would have been a good watch!

Cunico got lots of it playing back and was OK but still lacks any lust for the contest. Very outside. Just a praccy or will he get down and dirty when the real stuff starts ? For me thats the difference for him between handy AFL player and journeyman fringe dweller. (whereas JJ loved the hard stuff and in my eyes is now well ahead -if both playing back)

The newbies all looked out of sorts - overawed to be kind. Krueger showed a bit late (thumping kick), Jarvis a bit early in a disfunctional team effort where the ball rarely was delivered properly, Kennerly did the odd thing late but looks way off and his kicking was not what it was cracked up to be. Tarca rarely sighted.

Parsons stays in the reserves after another ordinary game. He is quick as, but like Cunico doesn't have the urgency (cf Brownless or JJ ), his kicking was way off to make matters worse. He needs to step up as the prime mid in the twos and that does require he gets down and dirty - no easy possessions in the VFL.

Okunbor played back and had an OK first hitout. It must have looked strange seeing the ball career into his half so often and so little organisation in the defensive midfield set up. Quite likes the body stuff. One poor kick but otherwise good for this stage. Blake S. was over awed and poor as a result. Poor work in the early minutes showed he lacks awareness for mine and a horror kick gifted a goal. Long way to go but he might do an Abbott on me and has 2 years ahead. Gore started Ok but looked very rusty. Will be valuable in VFL at worst.

Lack of KPD was glaring. That Reid? bloke did not play. No Siggins. Still like Floyd and Capiron. Zydbel had a crack as back up ruck........my pen has run out.

Sound like it might be a hard work year in the VFL. Guys like Cunico and Parsons who have been in and around must step up or they will be in the spotlight for the wrong reasons...

No CHB ... still think we could play Buzza there... where he can choose to spoil instead of marking.

Do we just get to make up things when we like a player now?

Nobody better be critical of Jake Tarca, I saw him carry thirteen baby pandas out of a burning building.

2019_03_09_VFL_HERO.png

"Oscar Brownless was amongst the Cats’ best, showing off his skillset in a tough match.

Geelong’s VFL side has suffered a heavy defeat in their first practice match of 2019, falling to Essendon, 4.10 (34) to 13.11 (89) in Thursday’s clash.

The Cats were slow to get into the game and remained out of the contest for most of the day.

In contrast, the Bombers came out firing, kicking four early goals to open up a 27-point lead at quarter time".

Read more here:

https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2019-03-08/vfl-positives-to-take-from-big-defeat

Brownless was very good he went hard and didn't hang back. Just looks like a mid who feels every contested ball is his.

What pick did we give up in the end?

Brownless was very good he went hard and didn't hang back. Just looks like a mid who feels every contested ball is his.

What pick did we give up in the end?
I think it was around 75

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I suspect they will be accusing us of again rorting the F/S system if he can build on that effort.
Well most on this forum wrote him off directly after he was selected based on the position he was picked.

I usually notice lack of pace but not with Brownless. He is about the same (pace wise) as the Selwoods (covers the ground well rather than top end speed) from what I saw.

I was watching ( before Xmas) a handicap endurance run at training. Nearing the end a young bloke I didn't recognise was passing others and moving forward to finish about third or fourth (no Menegola). I checked the number when I got home and it was Oscar B. Impressive.

On a very poor first hit out by the VFL, Brownless was a point of hope.

I think it's easy to underestimate some of these kids who were still extremely talented at TAC level but not top 20-50 picks.
2018 TAC season av 21 dis/7.1 tackles.
Should not be forgotten he excelled at the National Combine with fantastic aerobic results at the yoyo and 2kmTT.
Reported to have added considerable muscle and excelled in the pre season throwing himself into the training.
Lets not forget he's the son of a champion with a lot of pride on the line as well.
Worth keeping an eye on young Oscar.

Last edited:
I usually notice lack of pace but not with Brownless. He is about the same (pace wise) as the Selwoods (covers the ground well rather than top end speed) from what I saw.

I was watching ( before Xmas) a handicap endurance run at training. Nearing the end a young bloke I didn't recognise was passing others and moving forward to finish about third or fourth (no Menegola). I checked the number when I got home and it was Oscar B. Impressive.

On a very poor first hit out by the VFL, Brownless was a point of hope.

I think unless you are at the extremities of the bell curve that your pace is determined by quickness of mind as much as quickness of foot. A bit of shame we didnt get Scott as well as he looks a ripper at North.

I think unless you are at the extremities of the bell curve that your pace is determined by quickness of mind as much as quickness of foot. A bit of shame we didnt get Scott as well as he looks a ripper at North.

I'm sure if we fully understood the pace players were capable of and the pace they moved at in game that something could be learned... but we just have no idea.

Personally I don't think there's any worthwhile discussion of it to be had.

I'm sure if we fully understood the pace players were capable of and the pace they moved at in game that something could be learned... but we just have no idea.

Personally I don't think there's any worthwhile discussion of it to be had.

Having seen OB play .pace is not an area of my concern atpit. Id be interested to know what Lochlan Hocking's pace is like for anyone who watchs the Falcons this year..

I think it's easy to underestimate some of these kids who were still extremely talented at TAC level but not top 20-50 picks.
2018 TAC season av 21 dis/7.1 tackles.
Should not be forgotten he excelled at the National Combine with fantastic aerobic results at the yoyo and 2kmTT.
Reportedly to have added considerable muscle and excelled in the pre season throwing himself into the training.
Lets not forget he's the son of a champion with a lot of pride on the line as well.
Worth keeping an eye on young Oscar.
That's a good write-up. One must not forget the son of a champion part, that does indeed give him an advantage imo.

I always thought by recruiting Brownless and Kennerly we would add a lot of gut running capability for the nextgen midfield, and they both are a versatile size, considering we've recruited a lot of smalls around the 180cm mark. I initially thought Duncan as a player comparison for both.

OK - back to VFL after a very interesting evening WATCHING FOOTY!

The good. Abbott, Brownless.

The bad - lots of it. Stage fright, confused and confusing umpiring, lack of vigour.

Saw enough to make me think that Abbott is 18 months ahead of Fort and at AFL level. Jumped over 201 and 203cm opponents, good follow up work at ground level, one very good pack mark and generally involved around the ground.

Brownless started well with a couple of early possessions then after a quiet 30 minutes really got into it. Should be a steal this one. He hunts the footy and knows what to do when he gets it. He has that urgency that others don't have. Wills himself to the bottom of contests. Will be an interesting journey.

JJ played deep in defence and looked very comfortable - organised and busy. Used his body well, pace out of defence and lovely long kicks. Looked much better with ball in front of him. Looked like Bates but with much more nous and much stronger body.

Buzza - only tall after Abbott to get involved (73 and 81 showed a bit but) Buzza was the main big man at forward contests and if he had held all the marks he got his hands on would have been very effective. Contributed in a very ordinary effort. Mckernan for Bombers was far too good at the other end - I would have sent Buzza to him half way through the second myself. That would have been a good watch!

Cunico got lots of it playing back and was OK but still lacks any lust for the contest. Very outside. Just a praccy or will he get down and dirty when the real stuff starts ? For me thats the difference for him between handy AFL player and journeyman fringe dweller. (whereas JJ loved the hard stuff and in my eyes is now well ahead -if both playing back)

The newbies all looked out of sorts - overawed to be kind. Krueger showed a bit late (thumping kick), Jarvis a bit early in a disfunctional team effort where the ball rarely was delivered properly, Kennerly did the odd thing late but looks way off and his kicking was not what it was cracked up to be. Tarca rarely sighted.

Parsons stays in the reserves after another ordinary game. He is quick as, but like Cunico doesn't have the urgency (cf Brownless or JJ ), his kicking was way off to make matters worse. He needs to step up as the prime mid in the twos and that does require he gets down and dirty - no easy possessions in the VFL.

Okunbor played back and had an OK first hitout. It must have looked strange seeing the ball career into his half so often and so little organisation in the defensive midfield set up. Quite likes the body stuff. One poor kick but otherwise good for this stage. Blake S. was over awed and poor as a result. Poor work in the early minutes showed he lacks awareness for mine and a horror kick gifted a goal. Long way to go but he might do an Abbott on me and has 2 years ahead. Gore started Ok but looked very rusty. Will be valuable in VFL at worst.

Lack of KPD was glaring. That Reid? bloke did not play. No Siggins. Still like Floyd and Capiron. Zydbel had a crack as back up ruck........my pen has run out.
Great post Cats wiskers !

Would be great if you could provide your impressions on the following -
Oscar - how is his foot skills? Use both feet ?

Freddie - read that he took some good grabs - how was his leading, does he have reasonable speed for a big bloke?

Okunbor - did he show reasonable agility and speed off the mark ?

Great post Cats wiskers !

Would be great if you could provide your impressions on the following -
Oscar - how is his foot skills? Use both feet ?

Freddie - read that he took some good grabs - how was his leading, does he have reasonable speed for a big bloke?

Okunbor - did he show reasonable agility and speed off the mark ?

Oscar 's kicking didn't signal anything either way this outing. I don't remember any poor kicks or standout kicks. Can't remember any left footers. Managed to get on to his right foot mainly and delivery was quite good.

Krueger didn't get near it in first half looked a little overawed (same for Jarvis and Kennerley) - the game was played at other end and any entries into our 50 were very scrappy. Krueger better in the second half. Got on the end of a nice centre break (Abbot won the tap and the follow up) to mark and goal, and took a couple of other marks. His kicking looked long and penetrating. Not much else I noted.

Okunbor played deep in defence and was OK for first up run. Good defensively , seemed to get to most contests OK (didn't look confused) and looked like he enjoyed using his strength. Didn't kick often (like O'Connor in early outings) but considering the pressure the defence was under not bad for this stage of development. I didn't notice anything about his speed (as per Brownless) so OK but I do know he has a big tank from that training run pre Xmas.

Oscar 's kicking didn't signal anything either way this outing. I don't remember any poor kicks or standout kicks. Can't remember any left footers. Managed to get on to his right foot mainly and delivery was quite good.

Krueger didn't get near it in first half looked a little overawed (same for Jarvis and Kennerley) - the game was played at other end and any entries into our 50 were very scrappy. Krueger better in the second half. Got on the end of a nice centre break (Abbot won the tap and the follow up) to mark and goal, and took a couple of other marks. His kicking looked long and penetrating. Not much else I noted.

Okunbor played deep in defence and was OK for first up run. Good defensively , seemed to get to most contests OK (didn't look confused) and looked like he enjoyed using his strength. Didn't kick often (like O'Connor in early outings) but considering the pressure the defence was under not bad for this stage of development. I didn't notice anything about his speed (as per Brownless) so OK but I do know he has a big tank from that training run pre Xmas.
Many thanks - very detailed response.

Encouraging on all three.

Oscar - Whilst we desperately need more elite kickers, if he’s dependable under pressure then I’ll take that. Hopefully has a left foot - a big flaw with Kelly, Motlop to name a couple (easier to pressure/shut down the one sided ball carrier).

Freddie - sounds encouraging- wouldn’t be too worried about the first half for the forwards (pretty damn hard to do anything when the ball is hardly getting to you)

Okunbor - this guy is a ‘Hail Mary’ chance at best but if he can do okay in his first ever competitive Aussie football match at a VFL level then might be a prospect after a couple of seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back