VFL 2019 GFC VFL - The Bankers Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Didn't he have like 22/24 disposals at half time? Is that a sign of him tiring in the second half or Port Melbourne got on top & our midfielders didn't have as much influence?

That seems to be a common theme on reports over recent weeks - racks up the disposals but not necessarily damaging or influential with them.

As a Coach you would salivate big time over that - hardest thing is finding the footy. Next step is improving use , breaking free with the footy and kicking more
Without drawing silly comparisons look at Cripps first couple of seasons - he was predominantly a hand baller who didn’t spread. Now look at him
Constable will get better and I really hope he has long and successful career as his development grows and improves

Not a great end But....3 injured, and we have probably 5-6 players not at VFL standard yet.
Pretty f**ken hard to beat a Port side who's No1 priority is to win.
Nearly impossible

As a Coach you would salivate big time over that - hardest thing is finding the footy. Next step is improving use , breaking free with the footy and kicking more
Without drawing silly comparisons look at Cripps first couple of seasons - he was predominantly a hand baller who didn’t spread. Now look at him
Constable will get better and I really hope he has long and successful career as his development grows and improves
Port are a mature, seasoned VFL team too. Not a development team for draftees.
40+ is a great effort. It's like people just want him to be bad to justify the club not playing him.

We should have had a ruck (Smith, Abbott) and inside mid dominance (Constable, Menegola, Scooter, Parsons) with the players in the side at VFL level but let's face it outside of that it was a pretty ordinary side. Doubly so when the players outside the centre square with talent - Clark, Kreuger, Fogarty - all copped knocks.

I can't comment to specifics on todays game as I didn't see it, but I know watching on TV last week that something seemed to be lacking from Constables game. I remember latish in the game a ball-up in the opposition 50 where Constable initially stood off his opponent, and then engaged him just before the ball was tapped - Constable got a clean grab at it, had space to work into but instead handballed to a teammates feet/knees, resulted in a turn over & snap at goal which thankfully went through for a behind.

He just looked rushed and not very clean - so I wonder if that's one of the reasons for going back to the VFL to work on some of those things. If he can find a step and not rush that initial disposal he will become much more damaging, and some of that will come down to experience as he develops

I think important things for him over summer will be things like acceleration from the contest or even finding a way to create space & time for more effective clearances rather than just a rushed or quick handball to a teammate.

Not normally one to worry too much about VFL results. That is a really poor effort whatever way you look at it.

Clearly a very bad decision to play Clark. Looked a bad decision the day it was announced and looks even worse now.
I guess they had to see whether he was a chance for a return to the ones. They have the answer.

I must be one of the few who is irate at the performance, with a large listed contingent playing to be smashed like they were, we need a major clearout and shouls sound the death knell for some senior players...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does a team with
Menegola, Clark, Fogarty, Scott Selwood, Henderson, Z.Smith, Fort, Buzza, Parsons, Simpson, Z.Guthrie, Abbott, lose to a team with no AFL players.
Outrageous loss by the Cats today
We desperately needed to twos to win so the ones could have the players ready to go for our finals campaign
Very disappointing

I must be one of the few who is irate at the performance, with a large listed contingent playing to be smashed like they were, we need a major clearout and shouls sound the death knell for some senior players...
We had Jarvis, Kennerly, Okunbor, Brownless, Tarca, Schlenslog playing.
Do you think Port or any stand alone VFL team would pick any of them?
Let alone in a final????
Nothing against them, they are just 18 and have had only one pre-season.
How in f**ks name are we meant to beat Port in a final???
Obree has done well this year. No way did I pick us making the finals.

Wouldn't be disappointed if O'Bree moved on and McCartney returned in a development role and as VFL coach.

I think even most who are "in the Chris Scott camp" so to speak are lukewarm at best on O'Bree. Been at the club a long time and never really looked much chop.

I'd be interested in looking at Leigh Adams who was coaching Coburg, being as he got some improvement out of the most underresourced club in the country. But maybe that's just me?

We had Jarvis, Kennerly, Okunbor, Brownless, Tarca, Schlenslog playing.
Do you think Port or any stand alone VFL team would pick any of them?
Let alone in a final????
Nothing against them, they are just 18 and have had only one pre-season.
How in f**ks name are we meant to beat Port in a final???
Obree has done well this year. No way did I pick us making the finals.
We had 13 players who have been in the AFL system for 2+years including 5 who are big chance for senior selection who have massive advantages over Port M players and while I agree 1st year wont star some of them need to do more, what it shows is we need a clean out...

So how did we finish higher on the ladder yet have to play our match at Port Melbourne's ground?
Its the way the VFL has done things for eons - they're contracted to play 2 games there in week 1 + both semis and premis - only the top 2 teams get home finals in Wk 1 and that is it for home ground advantage for the finals; elimination finals are traditionally played at Port, with the only exception being if Port finishes in the top 2, in which case whomever finishes 5th gets to host the 2nd home final.

As you finished 6th you were always playing at Port regardless of where other teams finished.

How does a team with
Menegola, Clark, Fogarty, Scott Selwood, Henderson, Z.Smith, Fort, Buzza, Parsons, Simpson, Z.Guthrie, Abbott, lose to a team with no AFL players.
Outrageous loss by the Cats today
We desperately needed to twos to win so the ones could have the players ready to go for our finals campaign
Very disappointing
A champion team beats a team of champions. Obviously none of the above are champions but Port have a settled side that have played together all year. It makes a difference.

I think even most who are "in the Chris Scott camp" so to speak are lukewarm at best on O'Bree. Been at the club a long time and never really looked much chop.

The funny thing about O'Bree is we got him because when he was midfield coach at the GC they were a good clearance team. We took their coach, their ruckman, Gary Ablett and we still struggled. I think since Ron Watt finished up the VFL coach has mainly just been the guy demoted from the senior panel who we can't sack because they are contracted. Not ideal. Actually maybe we had Knights for a couple of years there where we did alright but nothing inspiring since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back