VFL 2019 GFC VFL - The Bankers Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had 13 players who have been in the AFL system for 2+years including 5 who are big chance for senior selection who have massive advantages over Port M players and while I agree 1st year wont star some of them need to do more, what it shows is we need a clean out...
Dunno, Buzza has been one of the best forwards in the comp, Jones hasn't done enough IMOO, Either Smith or Abbott needs to go.
Apart from that I'm not sure who's holding us back too much.

The funny thing about O'Bree is we got him because when he was midfield coach at the GC they were a good clearance team. We took their coach, their ruckman, Gary Ablett and we still struggled. I think since Ron Watt finished up the VFL coach has mainly just been the guy demoted from the senior panel who we can't sack because they are contracted. Not ideal. Actually maybe we had Knights for a couple of years there where we did alright but nothing inspiring since.
We got Obree like every other coach we have except Knights.
He played with, worked with, or played under Chris Scott.
Lappin, Lloyd, Caracella, T.Selwood, Enright, Scarlett
Since being demoted to the VFL coach he has done really well and seemed to embrace it with gusto.
Makes finals with really raw players, Got GFL players senior games (one is a dual AA).
Did well this year, a lot of really, really raw players.

Since being demoted to the VFL coach he has done really well and seemed to embrace it with gusto.
Makes finals with really raw players, Got GFL players senior games (one is a dual AA).

The group of players we got him at last year's draft certainly would have complicated things. Too many rucks, and Jarvis/Kennerley/Tarca/Brown less/Dog/Okunbor are greener than fresh cut grass.

But at the same time he got some serious firepower to work with. Henderson, Menegola, Scoot, Parsons, Simpson are all a cut above even your senior VFL footballers.

Problem with that we have had the best injury run in years with more experience available then previous years at VFL level and would be an interesting comparison against previous years in terms of players available and experience...

Dunno, Buzza has been one of the best forwards in the comp, Jones hasn't done enough IMOO, Either Smith or Abbott needs to go.
Apart from that I'm not sure who's holding us back too much.
Is it just me, but who really cares about the VFL finals results? They are not really a team in the sense that Port is. They are essentially a collection of also-rans plus some new kids plying their craft. Winning it is nice only if the senior team is out of finals. Many people did not care or know we played today. I asked a mate how we went and he was unaware they played.
And as a side issue, why was the game at Port, if we were the higher ranked finals team?

Last edited:
Is it just me, but who really cares about the VFL? They are not really a team in the sense that Port is. They are essentially a collection of also-rans plus some new kids plying their craft. Winning it is nice only if the senior team is out of finals. Many people did not care or know we played today. I asked a mate how we went and he was unaware they played.
And as a side issue, why was the game at Port, if we were the higher ranked finals team?
Yeah i agree. We are a development team.
Last question, I dunno. I don't care either. Sick of the whole thing.

The group of players we got him at last year's draft certainly would have complicated things. Too many rucks, and Jarvis/Kennerley/Tarca/Brown less/Dog/Okunbor are greener than fresh cut grass.

But at the same time he got some serious firepower to work with. Henderson, Menegola, Scoot, Parsons, Simpson are all a cut above even your senior VFL footballers.
The last 3, not really. Scooter probably in a leadership, training sort of way.
None of them would come slightly close to making it into the midfield of the VFL team of the year or anything like that.
Constable should go allright in the Liston.

A champion team beats a team of champions. Obviously none of the above are champions but Port have a settled side that have played together all year. It makes a difference.
True but annoying given the vfl players should want to put their case for promotion. I love a good team when not playing the cats

Was nice to finally get to a VFL game (helpful when wife takes child to ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’). Nice sunny day at Port, with only a slight breeze blowing to Geelong’s right pocket at first quarter. (Geelong talls seemed to struggle with this all day, permitting some virtually uncontested marking by Port).

In summary-

At a team level, the ‘team vs development squad’ comments above summed it up well. Port appeared to be more disciplined/drilled, with better knowledge of how to play both the wind and ground clearly on show. Port mids set the tone, smashing in hard and low at the contest (umps appeared to unaware of the sliding in dangerously rule), bringing massive pressure on our mids all day. Port played tight one on one all over the ground and rarely gave any room - reminiscent of the style of some of the AFL teams that have undone Geelong since the bye. All our players struggled as a result, only able to get some patches of linking play going. The younger players really struggled to get into the game and all struggled with Port’s physicality.

Coaches -
Clearly Geelong’s Coaching philosophy is development, with all coaches talking quietly at the quarter time huddles, particularly O’bree. Ayres was a real contrast - old fashioned revving up, pleading for sustaining the pressure. Although it hurts to say this, I much prefer the Ayres approach. Also some questionable positioning by our players (defenders all permitting forwards to take front position when opposition were kicking against the wind, permitting easy marks when the ball dropped short into the wind) and Geelong attacking along wrong wing with the wind, making it hard to take advantage. Real 101 stuff that adds more doubt about O’Bree and the other coaches, IMO.

Is it just me, but who really cares about the VFL? They are not really a team in the sense that Port is. They are essentially a collection of also-rans plus some new kids plying their craft. Winning it is nice only if the senior team is out of finals. Many people did not care or know we played today. I asked a mate how we went and he was unaware they played.
Well you should be 'V'. It's not only important from a development perspective but in terms of big picture issues like structures, discipline, temperament, willingness to play designated roles, running patterns, awareness et al

It's no accident that both Hawthorn and us had very successful two teams during our halcyon days.

Was nice to finally get to a VFL game (helpful when wife takes child to ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’). Nice sunny day at Port, with only a slight breeze blowing to Geelong’s right pocket at first quarter. (Geelong talls seemed to struggle with this all day, permitting some virtually uncontested marking by Port).

In summary-

At a team level, the ‘team vs development squad’ comments above summed it up well. Port appeared to be more disciplined/drilled, with better knowledge of how to play both the wind and ground clearly on show. Port mids set the tone, smashing in hard and low at the contest (umps appeared to unaware of the sliding in dangerously rule), bringing massive pressure on our mids all day. Port played tight one on one all over the ground and rarely gave any room - reminiscent of the style of some of the AFL teams that have undone Geelong since the bye. All our players struggled as a result, only able to get some patches of linking play going. The younger players really struggled to get into the game and all struggled with Port’s physicality.

Coaches -
Clearly Geelong’s Coaching philosophy is development, with all coaches talking quietly at the quarter time huddles, particularly O’bree. Ayres was a real contrast - old fashioned revving up, pleading for sustaining the pressure. Although it hurts to say this, I much prefer the Ayres approach. Also some questionable positioning by our players (defenders all permitting forwards to take front position when opposition were kicking against the wind, permitting easy marks when the ball dropped short into the wind) and Geelong attacking along wrong wing with the wind, making it hard to take advantage. Real 101 stuff that adds more doubt about O’Bree and the other coaches, IMO.
Think Ayers still uses line coaches too. My criticism of O'Bree - admittedly from very brief game day observation - is his game day decision making and uninspiring addresses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like Menegola, Constable, Scooter, Parsons, Smith, Henderson will be our depth going into the AFL Finals series... probably in that order depending on position vacancy.

Well you should be 'V'. It's not only important from a development perspective but in terms of big picture issues like structures, discipline, temperament, willingness to play designated roles, running patterns, awareness et al

It's no accident that both Hawthorn and us had very successful two teams during our halcyon days.
I think you could say their is a very good case about taking VFL seriously, their is plenty conclusive evidence about AFL teams going deep into finals and having their VFL teams mirror the same performance we only have to look at Cats Hawks Bulldogs and Tigers in the last 12 years, so while we need to develop players its important to get results, yesterday was a step back...

Having seen O’Bree up close a little
Bit, I’m far from impressed. Not super sharp and not prepared to step outside “safe coaching practices”. If I was involved at board level he’d be gone so fast he wouldn’t know what hit him. The VFL needs a teacher whos Intelligent and innovative. O’Bree is neither of those things.

The last 3, not really. Scooter probably in a leadership, training sort of way.
None of them would come slightly close to making it into the midfield of the VFL team of the year or anything like that.
Constable should go allright in the Liston.

I would definitely say they all are. VFL team of the year is a bit of a non-argument while they don't even consider AFL listed players for it.

from the write up on krock

PORT MELBOURNE 12.15 (87)
GEELONG 7.4 (47)

Goals: W. Buzza 2, J. Clark, O. Brownless, B. Jarvis, D. Fort, L. Fogarty
Best: S. Simpson, C. Constable, R. Abbott, W. Buzza, B. Jarvis, L. Henderson

Maybe. Those parameters are important, but success in finals is , imo, an unfair assessment.
But that team is all about development FOR the AFL, not the VFL, and they should not necessarily be cf true VFL teams like Port. I'm talking about people bemoaning a finals loss against Port.
It is a bonus if both A/VFL teams can be successful, but by definition, that should be becoming increasingly difficult.
Tigers are though.

The past 2 weeks we have seen why Constable is not in the senior team plenty of possessions but just doesnt do much with them or are dinky possessions, like to see meters gained in the last 2 weeks...

If you don't care about the VFL side why come in and post?

I would definitely say they all are. VFL team of the year is a bit of a non-argument while they don't even consider AFL listed players for it.
Ok, let's say they were eligible. They wouldn't be in the conversation.
Simpson is more suited to AFL than VFL so can't really dominate games. Sort of the same for Parsons. More of a role-playing AFL type.
Scooter is a very solid mid at VFL but below the very best mids at that level.
Agree on Menegola. He would dead set smash the VFL. Made for it.
He only played a few games this year. So can't really say Obree had him to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back