VFL 2019 GFC VFL - The Bankers Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Ok, let's say they were eligible. They wouldn't be in the conversation.
Simpson is more suited to AFL than VFL so can't really dominate games. Sort of the same for Parsons. More of a role-playing AFL type.
Scooter is a very solid mid at VFL but below the very best mids at that level.
Agree on Menegola. He would dead set smash the VFL. Made for it.
He only played a few games this year. So can't really say Obree had him to work with.

Parsons, Simpsons and Scoot have all definitely dominated games of VFL this year. If you look at the numbers players in the VFL team of the year are getting I'm not even convinced they wouldn't be better placed than those guys on raw disposals etc.

If you don't care about the VFL side why come in and post?
I should have worded it better. I was referring to the results. I look at the players stats and form every week, but could not really care less where they finish. I like watching the progress of our AFL players. But was trying to dilute the anger about yesterday's result. But moreover, the comparison between our team and a true VFL team like Port. Port do not have players in and out , nor would they play 4 talls like Smith, Abbott, Fort and Buzza in a final . We are testing players out in preparation for AFL.

Last edited:

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Parsons, Simpsons and Scoot have all definitely dominated games of VFL this year. If you look at the numbers players in the VFL team of the year are getting I'm not even convinced they wouldn't be better placed than those guys on raw disposals etc.
Yeah, just gonna have to agree to disagree.
Just on the VFL I've seen I certainly wouldn't have them in the top echelon of mids at that level.
But my opinion may not be great as I think Buzza has probably been our biggest standout for his position this year Hehe
To think that Obree should of got us higher than 5-6 cause of those players, yeah I dunno about that.
Lost his best players in Atkins, GHS and Murdoch.
Replaced them with Jarvis, Tarca Kennerly. Faaaark

Last edited:

catman2006

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sunderland & Penrith
Why I thought Constable was so valuable was his extraction, allowing Kelly, Danger, Sell, Garry, Parfitt and others to stand more outside the packs/coal-face where they can use their pace and skills.
He still needs to do more with the ball at the coal face then a dinky handball, needs the ability to help space the mids and decision making...

Is it just me, but who really cares about the VFL? They are not really a team in the sense that Port is. They are essentially a collection of also-rans plus some new kids plying their craft. Winning it is nice only if the senior team is out of finals. Many people did not care or know we played today. I asked a mate how we went and he was unaware they played.
And as a side issue, why was the game at Port, if we were the higher ranked finals team?

I care. A lot actually. I like to see how the players outside the 22 are faring. I ike to see them implementing the game style and structures. I like to see their skills develop. I like to put my nuts on the block backing them in to make it and being made an idiot of.

You should try it sometime. Good for the soul.

I also like to see the club succeed at any level so I have an interest there too.

Again, good for the soul.

GO Catters

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
I care. A lot actually. I like to see how the players outside the 22 are faring. I ike to see them implementing the game style and structures. I like to see their skills develop. I like to put my nuts on the block backing them in to make it and being made an idiot of.

I also like to see the club succeed at any level so I have an interest there too.

GO Catters
Vdubs' point of view is valid.
It's not that he doesn't care about the team, he's not that invested in the results.
It is a development team.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Vdubs' point of view is valid.
It's not that he doesn't care about the team, he's not that invested in the results.
It is a development team.
Yeah. Everyone's gotta admit, What would they hypothetically prefer yesterday?
Clark getting through uninjured (didn't happen) dominating and a certainty for the Pies final, or the VFL win?

GO Catters
I have explained my point better in a later post. Results- not important imo, what goes on, development etc. very important.
My soul is fine.

Yeah. Everyone's gotta admit, What would they hypothetically prefer yesterday?
Clark getting through uninjured (didn't happen) dominating and a certainty for the Pies final, or the VFL win?
They don't have to be mutually exclusive either. A VFL GF win is a bonus. We were rapt when the baby 2007 team won the VFL flag a few years earlier, and also in 07 because we'd been starved of success. But we have seen the comp change with expansion and drafting, and as you say, VFL is ALL about player development.

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah, just gonna have to agree to disagree.
Just on the VFL I've seen I certainly wouldn't have them in the top echelon of mids at that level.
But my opinion may not be great as I think Buzza has probably been our biggest standout for his position this year Hehe
To think that Obree should of got us higher than 5-6 cause of those players, yeah I dunno about that.
Lost his best players in Atkins, GHS and Murdoch.
Replaced them with Jarvis, Tarca Kennerly. Faaaark

I totally get the team balance side of things, and an AFL teams reserves is always going to get a bit screwy with both the high and low end. Compared to a standalone who aim for 22 even contributors, sure.

But that's the challenge of his position. And we've seen plenty of strong finishes from VFL affiliated teams over the past few seasons to show that he's not been given some Sisyphean task.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I totally get the team balance side of things, and an AFL teams reserves is always going to get a bit screwy with both the high and low end. Compared to a standalone who aim for 22 even contributors, sure.

But that's the challenge of his position. And we've seen plenty of strong finishes from VFL affiliated teams over the past few seasons to show that he's not been given some Sisyphean task.
He's not a sissy. He got rid of that long hair ages ago.

Tony Barber

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Maybe. Those parameters are important, but success in finals is , imo, an unfair assessment.
But that team is all about development FOR the AFL, not the VFL, and they should not necessarily be cf true VFL teams like Port. I'm talking about people bemoaning a finals loss against Port.
It is a bonus if both A/VFL teams can be successful, but by definition, that should be becoming increasingly difficult.
Tigers are though.
Mate, there's 4 weeks of afl footy to go.
A VFL loss means we don't have any depth showing form and fitness.

Mate, there's 4 weeks of afl footy to go.
A VFL loss means we don't have any depth showing form and fitness.
So all our depth will be fresh and uninjured, and part of the main training group. If we lose to Pies and Stephenson, De Goey , Sidebottom, Moore are pivotal, it shows that form and fitness is a moot point.
And it doesn't seem VFL form gets rewarded all that much either.
It's all about injuries now. Constable and Parsons have been killing it at VFL level- they'll only get in if injuries.

Sounds like Menegola, Constable, Scooter, Parsons, Smith, Henderson will be our depth going into the AFL Finals series... probably in that order depending on position vacancy.
Yep, all about (lack of!!) injuries now.

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
1st 1/4 -

Who was the Port Melb player that kicked 40.4 for the season, can we please recruit him.?

Constable doesn't look like a player that wants out, he seems to be giving his utmost for the team. He also has an awkward gait, not sure if that is just him or he is carrying an injury.

Menegola is head and shoulders bigger than his opponents and yet.

Both Fog & Clark have shown glimpses, will be extremely p-d off if this game puts Clark even further behind.

Liked - Chook showing a bit of mongrel

Disliked - Blatantly biased commentary but what else is new.? We Are Geelong.

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
3rd 1/4 - No comment

If I start, it will become ugly very quickly.

Instead I pose a question, how many of our players in this game (Cats v Port Melb) have access to AFL level training and the benefit of being paid well to do a 'job' they love, so that 'real life' employment is not compulsory.?

AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Maybe. Those parameters are important, but success in finals is , imo, an unfair assessment.
But that team is all about development FOR the AFL, not the VFL, and they should not necessarily be cf true VFL teams like Port. I'm talking about people bemoaning a finals loss against Port.
It is a bonus if both A/VFL teams can be successful, but by definition, that should be becoming increasingly difficult.
Tigers are though.
Well! As I suggested, during our extended period of flag success we mostly had a successful finals twos outfit. So did the Hawks. The Tigers are following that trend too. If you think it matters little where the twos finish in the context of extended club success then we differ and I'd suggest recent history is on my side.

Well! As I suggested, during our extended period of flag success we mostly had a successful finals twos outfit. So did the Hawks. The Tigers are following that trend too. If you think it matters little where the twos finish in the context of extended club success then we differ and I'd suggest recent history is on my side.
So we're gone before the finals start..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back