Training 2019 Giants Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Even though we are winning some contests from the middle, there is no structure up forward. When theres a one on one contest, we kick it on top Sproule's head. Need some leads from the forwards (Sproule, Himmelberg) to get more marks and set shots. We are just booting it forward hoping for the best at the moment.

Early days and it is a practice game.

My early takes

Finlayson remains an enigma. He looks sure and composed in what he does generally. He just seems to lack that desperation to spoil when he's on the back foot that backs need.

Idun looks like a smooth mover with composure. He was outmarked by Naismith with poor positioning in front of goal, but I see signs and liking the my first look.

Taranto looked comfortable as the senior mid directing trafffic.

I think you're also really top heavy, looks like you're testing the KPDs and ruck prospects at the expense of ground ball.

Liking the look of Taranto and Hopper leading through the midfield. Caldwell looking the goods as well. Taylor very composed as a 2nd year player - interesting to see if he will surpass Corr this year. Cumming and Perryman also solid - would like to see Cumming through the wing over at half back to see if we can get some better delivery to the forwards. Can also see the effort from Hately which is promising.

Been a bit disappointed with Bonar and Shipley. Feel like they have been pretty quiet. Daniels gets the ball and has the acceleration but just bombs it up aimlessly as a midfielder/half-forward- think it might be more worthwhile parking him up deep forward as a crumber rather than roaming for long stints in the midfield. Himmelberg and Sproule have been starved of opportunity so hard to comment much on the tall forwards. Would be interested to see the number of marks we have in our forward 50, seems hard to be composed when we just do chaos balls into a mostly stagnant forward 50.

Wouldve loved to see Bobby Hill and O'Hallaran thrown into the mix too. The prospect of Hill, Daniels and Langdon zipping through the forward line together with Himmelberg, Cameron and Greene fit and firing is quite exciting.

that monster jump from mummy in the centre bounce! just hope he doesnt do it too often in practice matches in case he hurts it for no reason haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much better second half and some more experience on. Torranto will be big for us this year

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agreed, Taranto looking a class above through the middle. Really feel he moves and plays like a Cal Ward.

Caldwell has an advanced game for a young kid. Feel he will be pushing for a spot if his body permits.

For me I thought the stand outs were Hopper, Taranto and HH
I noticed Williams playing in the front half which was surprising but maybe just for flexibility and managing game time for him
TOJ had a couple of misdirected kicks but he was involved and had plenty of touches
Keefe and Buntine did well IMO and no other stand outs IMO
Not sure on the rules for JLT #1 but i would assume it is an extended bench and some of the fringe best 22 players so hopefully it is a step up in quality and desperation
Swans dominated the midfield and also it was too easy for them coming out of defence so plenty to work on for a lot of the players from todays game but for a first hit out and the first time playing together for a lot of the players I would say not many combinations but that will improve with more time on the field together
NO INJURIES is the main thing with plenty of rotations as well although I was surprised to see the heavy breathing by players coming of after 5 minutes

Lots of goods stuff to come from that after a very shaky 1st quarter, Hopper, Taranto, and HH were great.

Caldwell the standout of the newbies but all of them played well.

Is Mummy already in trouble?? Didn't take long. lol.

Not long to go.

Now to watch AFLX and praying to whatever deity is out there that our boys don't get injured tonight.

Just watched the 3rd quarter to get an idea, wow Taranto looks like he's gonna go to another level this season. Have loved him since his first game, but he could seriously contest for a Brownlow in 2 or 3 years

For those interested, only 10 first choice Swans played today, not sure how many first choice GWS played.
No one got injured, and young players on both sides got a solid hit out and that's what matters. Both teams would have persisted with structures they wanted to trial, rather than find a winning combination.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back