Training 2019 Giants Preseason

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I will add that I was impressed by Connor Idun and with his size he should go ok at NEAFL level this year and he was played in defence so maybe he will spend the year learning the defensive side of the game

Vic pokiesmon

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Can't complain about getting Mummy back on a rookie contract.Probably will be the best value for money player in the AFl if he stays injury free...Agreed with others about Taranto .He looked a class above especially in tight.Liked Hoppers game as well

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Can't complain about getting Mummy back on a rookie contract.Probably will be the best value for money player in the AFl if he stays injury free...Agreed with others about Taranto .He looked a class above especially in tight.Liked Hoppers game as well
Not sure what Mummys getting paid, the base rookie salary only is outside the cap, but it's whatever was agreed. I expect he took a pay cut but $80k plus match payments seems a bit light. On the other hand he would have been well paid last year.

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Just some data I collected whilst re-watching the footage of today's game. Might have missed some stats here and there but gives a rough idea of who was on and off.

GWS stats.jpg

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Oh Shane!! I was expecting a massive clumsy mummy bump. Not a punch to the face. Will get 3 weeks at least you would think:( on top of the other2

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hope not.

He was reacting to being put in a headlock. It was really the umps fault for it paying a free kick forcing him to react, as I saw it. Often the retaliator gets whacked, so we just have to wait and see I think.
I wouldn't be critical of a player refusing to be treated like that though.

Oh Shane!! I was expecting a massive clumsy mummy bump. Not a punch to the face. Will get 3 weeks at least you would think:( on top of the other2

Any suspension should run at the same time as the club suspension. I don't believe the AFL factors in other suspensions for the MRP.

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
No obvious injuries to our boys in the AFLX I dont think. All the players nursed each other though so was happy with that. Thought Davis and Whitfield stood out - didnt see Whitfield miss a single target and Davis just played a superb defensive game, questionable as a forward though haha. Cogs not bad either but Ward was played out of position in defence mostly.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
No obvious injuries to our boys in the AFLX I dont think. All the players nursed each other though so was happy with that. Thought Davis and Whitfield stood out - didnt see Whitfield miss a single target and Davis just played a superb defensive game, questionable as a forward though haha. Cogs not bad either but Ward was played out of position in defence mostly.
Fyfe is wierd. He played with an elbow suppirt and will now go for surgery on the elbow.

Dont think Freo fans will be happy it seems the AFLX has affected his schedule. He's saying he'll be right for a JLT game though.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
My thoughts on players likely for this Saturdays game v the Swans at Blacktown, A senior core will be required but also it will be another opportunity for some of the younger players to have another competitive game
These are the ones who either need the hit out or are those in contention for the bench spots for rd 1
Taylor v Corr
Perryman, Reid, Lloyd, Bonar, Sheridan, Daniels, Buntine, TOJ, Keefe, Flynn, Shipley
Some are a higher chance than others and still a fair bit can happen before rd 1 but it would be good to see these guys have another run before rd 1
I could also see one of Caldwell or Hately being given a run in JLT1 for the exposure to more senior footy
I was surprised a few others didnt have a run last friday although they may have had little niggles that made it not worth the risk. Hill and O'Halloran I really wanted to see but I am sure they will have opportunities next month in the NEAFL practice matches

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
Taylor v Corr
Perryman, Reid, Lloyd, Bonar, Sheridan, Daniels, Buntine, TOJ, Keefe, Flynn, Shipley
I think Corr still has it over Taylor, experience wise, but Taylor's best attribute is what Corr can be short on; 'do or die'.
Perryman_watch out Heater, Pez is coming for ya.
Reid/ Lloyd_ you know what you get, but the ceiling has been reached. Lloyd's dependable goal kicking an asset.
Bonar/ Shipley_seem similar muscle types, and only room for one. Bonar's run v Swans was underwhelming; Shipley's 'feel' for the game needs more work at NEAFL
Sheridan/ Buckley_feels like they were drafted to supplement the Toby Greene mates culture @ the club; must have missed Sheridan's stand out games for Freo.
Daniels/ Hill_ at last there's speed; who can crumb better off Simpsonn & Patton might get the nod.
Buntine_the De Goey 2nd semi carve-up aside, he'll be playing lots again
TOJ_has fallen behind and will need his kicking efficiency at all time high to press again
Flynn/ Keefe_ Flynn has the upside. Socks up suits him.

Last edited:

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
I think this week will be the fringe players mostly, it usually is. The second game will look a lot more like the round 1 team blowing out the cobwebs I think.

The dogs are barking Perryman for the midfield this year so I expect him to play there in at least one of the JLT games.

O'halloran and Hill a bit of a surprise last week. I wonder if they might be immersed in individual physical development programmes with no focus on playing footy at this early stage.

I certainly wouldn't be expecting us to pick a team to try and win this game.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I think Corr still has it over Taylor, experience wise, but Taylor's best attribute is what Corr can be short on; 'do or die'.
Perryman_watch out Heater, Pez is coming for ya.
Reid/ Lloyd_ you know what you get, but the ceiling has been reached. Lloyd's dependable goal kicking an asset.
Bonar/ Shipley_seem similar muscle types, and only room for one. Bonar's run v Swans was underwhelming; Shipley's 'feel' for the game needs more work at NEAFL
Sheridan/ Buckley_feels like they were drafted to supplement the Toby Greene mates culture @ the club; must have missed Sheridan's stand out games for Freo.
Daniels/ Hill_ at last there's speed; who can crumb better off Simpsonn & Patton might get the nod.
Buntine_the De Goey 2nd semi carve-up aside, he'll be playing lots again
TOJ_has fallen behind and will need his kicking efficiency at all time high to press again
Flynn/ Keefe_ Flynn has the upside. Socks up suits him.

Each player has at least one area for improvement in their game and some will have improved during the off season which is interesting to see, my personal comments on some of the players listed above

Perryman, I dont see him as a permanent defender I see him in a utility role: Seventh defender, Defensive mid, Defensive forward, hybrid mid and maybe this is why he hasnt really stood out in the games he has played and with the December birthday he is very young from that draft and I think he is a month older than Taranto
I was surprised Reid was kept on the list but for experienced depth he is good and I can see him in and around the 22 early on in the season and after the bye I think he will be leading the reserves although
Lloyd will be similar and he has been developing each year so hopefully that continues but he will need to improve to another level to earn a spot
I think Shipley needs another year in the reserves but that is more to do with the position he plays he needs to have the strength to play against the bigger bodies
Fitness will be the issue with Bonar and he is a chance for the first few rounds but maybe with a few neafl games he can build into the season
Sheridan will be a more likely chance for games early on in the season and from there he could retain his spot or be in and out of the side
Buckley another one I was surprised was kept around and i think it is unlikely he will see any game time with Daniels and Langdon likely for the small forward spot I can see those 2 filling that position throughout the season
Buntine could be a permanent defender with kennedy/williams rotating between HB and a wing
TOJ needs to work on his kicking and whether he has the determination to succeed is my question on him as others have commented he lacks desperation
Keefe is one that should have the ability to be an amazing player but maybe similar to TOJ he needs that physicality and desperation to succeed
Flynn will see opportunities during the season and he needs to make the most of them as the ruck is a position the club needs depth in for the future

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I havent seen anything about the Mumford incident from fridays game but maybe an article will come out this afternoon if anything could come from it

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Each player has at least one area for improvement in their game and some will have improved during the off season which is interesting to see, my personal comments on some of the players listed above

Perryman, I dont see him as a permanent defender I see him in a utility role: Seventh defender, Defensive mid, Defensive forward, hybrid mid and maybe this is why he hasnt really stood out in the games he has played and with the December birthday he is very young from that draft and I think he is a month older than Taranto
I was surprised Reid was kept on the list but for experienced depth he is good and I can see him in and around the 22 early on in the season and after the bye I think he will be leading the reserves although
Lloyd will be similar and he has been developing each year so hopefully that continues but he will need to improve to another level to earn a spot
I think Shipley needs another year in the reserves but that is more to do with the position he plays he needs to have the strength to play against the bigger bodies
Fitness will be the issue with Bonar and he is a chance for the first few rounds but maybe with a few neafl games he can build into the season
Sheridan will be a more likely chance for games early on in the season and from there he could retain his spot or be in and out of the side
Buckley another one I was surprised was kept around and i think it is unlikely he will see any game time with Daniels and Langdon likely for the small forward spot I can see those 2 filling that position throughout the season
Buntine could be a permanent defender with kennedy/williams rotating between HB and a wing
TOJ needs to work on his kicking and whether he has the determination to succeed is my question on him as others have commented he lacks desperation
Keefe is one that should have the ability to be an amazing player but maybe similar to TOJ he needs that physicality and desperation to succeed
Flynn will see opportunities during the season and he needs to make the most of them as the ruck is a position the club needs depth in for the future
Bith Leon on radio and Heater commentating in the scratch match have said clearly Perryman is expected to play in the midfield. It could change but it's a very strong indicator.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-25/mummys-return-delayed-further-after-striking-ban-
1 week for Mumford, I would only be concerned about this if something happens to Simpson and if he has other issues during the year that makes his suspension longer because of the first incident. He should still have plenty of opportunity for game time before the season starts with 2 JLT games and 3 pre season games for the NEAFL although not sure if he will play any of them with Flynn needing plenty of time in the ruck

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-25/mummys-return-delayed-further-after-striking-ban-
1 week for Mumford, I would only be concerned about this if something happens to Simpson and if he has other issues during the year that makes his suspension longer because of the first incident. He should still have plenty of opportunity for game time before the season starts with 2 JLT games and 3 pre season games for the NEAFL although not sure if he will play any of them with Flynn needing plenty of time in the ruck
I dont like it at all given the provocation. But it is what it is.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Ideally the umpires would issue a statement saying a free should have been paid for the high contact by Hewett prior to the striking because that was missed which caused the reaction by Mumford but no chance of that happening
There are times when I think the player has no real choice I think.

Reminds me if Phil Davis getting a match in 2015 v the Crows.

An 18yo Whitfield wrapped himself around a Crows player , whose name escapes me, built like a brick shithouse. The ump paid holding the ball although I think he confused being held with being held onto. Whitfield wasn't impeding him at all.

The Crows player then chased Whitfiekd after the ball was gone and wouldn't let it go pushing and shoving.

Phil ran in from a long way away and went to push. The guy turned just before contact and got bowled over.

The way I see it Phil did what he had to do, the ump did what he had to do and so did the tribunal. My only question is why one of our guys closer to the incident didn't help him.

s**t happens sometimes.

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
Maybe bringing mummy back after a year of BOXING isn't a great idea

Back