Preview 2019 Goodbye (To 2020) New; Preseason Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Meanwhile in CampbellBrownland ... at least he has us finishing ahead of Adelaide

Well, if Campbell is right (and he wont be), Ken would be gone so...that's a plus.

A thought on how the 2020 season could be played out on TV for a bit of interest if this season is cancelled.

1. Use this years draw and randomly pick a match between those teams playing over the last 20 years to replay on tv and this would form the basis of the season and the ladder. This would benefit teams who have been better teams over that period so maybe some sort of handicap needs to be introduced for picking the matches to make the result more neutral. Not sure what happens when we get to finals though. Or maybe there aren't finals; or

2. pick a random season (I don't know, maybe 2004). Replay the matches that coincide with this years draw. Perhaps randomly pick half a dozen seasons to run consecutively - with a 5 minute commentary from AFL 360 or other journalists on how those matches and seasons are going.

All done for a bit of fun and at least gives us something to watch. From an historical perspective would be good for younger gen to see as well.

More I think about it the harder it gets but I'd settle in on Saturday night to watch Port.

A thought on how the 2020 season could be played out on TV for a bit of interest if this season is cancelled.

1. Use this years draw and randomly pick a match between those teams playing over the last 20 years to replay on tv and this would form the basis of the season and the ladder. This would benefit teams who have been better teams over that period so maybe some sort of handicap needs to be introduced for picking the matches to make the result more neutral. Not sure what happens when we get to finals though. Or maybe there aren't finals; or

2. pick a random season (I don't know, maybe 2004). Replay the matches that coincide with this years draw. Perhaps randomly pick half a dozen seasons to run consecutively - with a 5 minute commentary from AFL 360 or other journalists on how those matches and seasons are going.

All done for a bit of fun and at least gives us something to watch. From an historical perspective would be good for younger gen to see as well.

More I think about it the harder it gets but I'd settle in on Saturday night to watch Port.
Yeah, anything that lets us see some older stuff with a bit of a twist (like the tweeting of seasons from the 70s) would be good.

If it was flagged which game was what you could at least pick your winning games to watch

I'd still lose on the betting market :(

Rebooted this thread.......

POWER ON THE RISE?
Greg: I heard Gerard Healy say Port had the best crop of under-23 players in the comp. Rozee, Duursma, Butters, Georgiades, Marshall, Mead and Bergman head the list. Then there are four or five other first-round draft picks that have been gaining experience in the Magpies over the last few years. The AFL had better sit up and take notice because Port are about to become a top side once again. Hawthorn have proven in the past that drafting a batch of high quality juniors sets up a club for sustained success.

Robbo: Clubs are aware of what Port is building, but it means nothing if the results can’t be produced. It is a good group, potentially a great group, but potential promises nothing. If it works, Ken Hinkley, the list management team and the board which supported the the decision to inject youth, should be well applauded.

Miles Bergman was the Power’s first selection in the 2019 national draft.. Picture AAP Image/Scott Barbour

Miles Bergman was the Power’s first selection in the 2019 national draft.. Picture AAP Image/Scott Barbour

Port Adelaide is the big winner so far in a virtual season created by analytics experts

THIS is the type of Port Adelaide campaign that will guarantee coach Ken Hinkley a new contract. Five analytics gurus teamed up in the shutdown period to create 'Virtually Season 2020' on Max Barry's AFL prediction and analysis website Squiggle – and the results are fantastic for the Power. Hinkley's men are the sole unbeaten team in the virtual competition through nine rounds, with a percentage of 133.6.

So can Port Adelaide go all the way?

"I think Port are a result of what happens when we don't model the psychological pressure of doing really well," Barry said. "In real life, Port seem to go back and forth, where as soon as people expect them to do well, they collapse in a heap, then when the pressure's off they look like champions. "So maybe without that, they're a nine-zip team."
1589932493648.png

Port Adelaide is the big winner so far in a virtual season created by analytics experts

THIS is the type of Port Adelaide campaign that will guarantee coach Ken Hinkley a new contract. Five analytics gurus teamed up in the shutdown period to create 'Virtually Season 2020' on Max Barry's AFL prediction and analysis website Squiggle – and the results are fantastic for the Power. Hinkley's men are the sole unbeaten team in the virtual competition through nine rounds, with a percentage of 133.6.

"I think Port are a result of what happens when we don't model the psychological pressure of doing really well," Barry said. "In real life, Port seem to go back and forth, where as soon as people expect them to do well, they collapse in a heap, then when the pressure's off they look like champions. "So maybe without that, they're a nine-zip team."
View attachment 878371

I would sneak into games if we were going that well :p

View attachment 878371

This is the greatest, most accurate, sums us up completely line I have ever seen written about Port Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the greatest, most accurate, sums us up completely line I have ever seen written about Port Adelaide.

Sack Hinkley!

View attachment 878371

If Ken Hinkley has his contract extended, then Port Adelaide is not the big winner. The only winners would be Ken and Donna Hinkley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back