Preview 2019 Goodbye (To 2020) New; Preseason Discussion

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We tried every forward he did nothing? Why the fu** is Bassett still our forwards coach? Surely you'd try a new voice in there that's actually familiar with playing forward and considering how shitful our forward efficiency is? How the hell can their not be a change there.. ?
Bassett shouldn't be anywhere near our forwards was a defender and coached a team to score 4 goals to 3.ffs I knew from the start it wouldn't work . Don't want him anywhere near Conner and Zak.

We tried every forward he did nothing? Why the fu** is Bassett still our forwards coach? Surely you'd try a new voice in there that's actually familiar with playing forward and considering how shitful our forward efficiency is? How the hell can their not be a change there.. ?

Cmon man.

One of the best moves the coaches made was the Boak Ebert switcheroo.

Ebert was playing a good role up forward for us. He quite possibly wins our goal kicking if his year wasn’t knocked about by injury.

Aug 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ebert was actually very good up forward before the concussion ruined him in round 7. He was averaging almost 2 goals a game in the first 6 and 20 touches. He also had 36 marks and 35 tackles across those 6 games. Pretty damn good return.
Yep, thought Bassett was clever to put him there. Ebert is a strong mark and a decent kick for goal (where he goes wrong is when he's running down the wing looking for a target). He had a bad year concussion wise and then did his knee. Good to see him at preseason early - with more time with the forwards over the next few months he'll be ready to go next year.

Mundusa

Club Legend
Mar 2, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ebert was actually very good up forward before the concussion ruined him in round 7. He was averaging almost 2 goals a game in the first 6 and 20 touches. He also had 36 marks and 35 tackles across those 6 games. Pretty damn good return.
Shhh, don't ruin their narrative

Windy Cindy

Premiership Player
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Players to keep an eye on:

Patmore: Will he be a back flanker/winger/forward flanker like in 2018, or will he be a centre square mid in the SANFL like the 1st trial in 2019 before he did an ACL.
Watts: Can he come back and fill a 3rd tall defender spot, and can we fit both him and Hoff back there with 1 as a floating sweeper type?
Cox/Farrell/Woodcock/Motlop: Can any of these guys fill a forward spot in the AFL side?
Hayes: We've seen Ladhams at AFL level, but 2020 could be the year Hayes gets a game too.
Garner: Can he crack into the 22 and be a regular in the back pocket?
I reckon patmore will play some games in the afl, bonner was raving about his fitness levels already.

He looks a likely type, just hope he gets a run at it injury free.

Yeah, I have no issue with continuing to use Ebert as a forward. It's the 'key forward' bit I find concerning. Knowing this club, that's the sort of messaging that we'd usually follow up with Ebert playing CHF in Round 1 and Marshall stuck in the SANFL.

Jason K

Premium Platinum
Mar 1, 2014
Henley Beach
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yep, thought Bassett was clever to put him there. Ebert is a strong mark and a decent kick for goal (where he goes wrong is when he's running down the wing looking for a target). He had a bad year concussion wise and then did his knee. Good to see him at preseason early - with more time with the forwards over the next few months he'll be ready to go next year.

How do you know it was Bassett"s idea?

Oct 5, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
There are no other teams
Ebert as a forward is fine. He has the Ebert genes of being a very good overhead mark, is reasonably reliable kick for goal and also removed from the midfield where, under pressure, has never been a particularly good decision maker. Those attributes, plus his aerobic capacity make him a difficult match-up for the opposition.

Ebert IS NOT a key forward and should never be considered anything more than the 4th-6th forward.

Visenfest

Chasing stability
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ebert's primary position should be forward, people need to remember that he's a turnover merchant in the midfield which is basically a nono at AFL these days since every club sets up for turnover goals.
Nobody is disputing that. It's just the labelling of him by Bassett as a KPF which gives cause for concern, given our propensity for allowing our legitimate KPFs to languish in the Sanfl in favour of shorter players. If Bassett had called Ebert a medium forward, people would be less concerned.

Nobody is disputing that. It's just the labelling of him by Bassett as a KPF which gives cause for concern, given our propensity for allowing our legitimate KPFs to languish in the Sanfl in favour of shorter players. If Bassett had called Ebert a medium forward, people would be less concerned.

Didn't he say he was almost a KPF? So he wasn't really calling him a KPF at all.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Didn't he say he was almost a KPF? So he wasn't really calling him a KPF at all.
Thats the way I read it. He is only 3cm off Jeremy Cameron's height, plays better as a forward, is great overhead, tough, smart ... "almost" a KPF.

= Hysteria on BF!!!!

BF never disappoints to entertain.

Visenfest

Chasing stability
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Call him a medium forward then. Given Hinkley and Bassett's history with KPFs, I'm inclined to believe Ebert will be the tallest player in our forward line if Dixon goes down again.

Call him a medium forward then. Given Hinkley and Bassett's history with KPFs, I'm inclined to believe Ebert will be the tallest player in our forward line if Dixon goes down again.

If we're still going with a two ruck system, Ladhams/Lycett will be up forward with Dixon.

Jonts

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flagstaff Hill FC, Tottenham
Yeah, I have no issue with continuing to use Ebert as a forward. It's the 'key forward' bit I find concerning. Knowing this club, that's the sort of messaging that we'd usually follow up with Ebert playing CHF in Round 1 and Marshall stuck in the SANFL.
This. Ebert/Wines playing pseudo lead up forward behind Dixon, Marhsall and Lycett/Ladhams/Hayes (presuming one of those 3 wouldbe on the bench) would stretch a lot of backlines to find a 3rd/4th defender to match it in the air with him one on one.
When it's Ebert on Grimes you might aswell pencil in the 3 brownlow votes

jmumbles

Rookie
Feb 6, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ebert as a forward works. Prior to his concussion, his stats for 2019 were:
Round 1: 23d, 1g, 9 marks, 2 contested
Round 2: 23d, 3.1g, 7 marks 2 contested
Round 3: 14d, 0.2g, 3 marks 1 contested
Round 4: 23d, 2.1g, 9 marks 1 contested
Round 5: 16d, 2.1g, 5 marks 2 contested
Round 6, 21d, 2.3g, 3 marks 1 contested.

I don't see him as a key forward, but by anyone's reckoning that's a solid contribution. I'm only piping up now because as a long time lurker and (very) occasional poster I've certainly noticed an increase in knee-jerk, negative responses on this board. Genuine, constructive criticism is warranted (e.g., f50 entry, forward setup, development of tall forwards, kinkley) but trashing the idea of Ebert as a forward when he was clearly one of our more consistent performers early this year is pretty average.

Back