AFL 2019 - Grand Final

If Richmond win and he gets >20 possessions and kicks a goal, he'd almost be a monty.

Especially if the judging panel is comprised of media men whove never played the game and/or women.

There's a reason I backed JJ in '16 and Houli in '17.

When do they announce the judges?

Im not sure this is correct. The panel for the past two years has been ex-players with just one member that has not played the game, who IMO would be more influenced by the other judges, this is just speculative.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Im not sure this is correct. The panel for the past two years has been ex-players with just one member that has not played the game, who IMO would be more influenced by the other judges, this is just speculative.
You've got your theories, I've got mine.

You've got your theories, I've got mine.

Last two years, the panel was all ex-players bar one.

Carey, Wanganeen, Longmire, and Bridget Lacey (journo)

Judd, McClure, Wallace, and Daisy Pearce and Jake Niall. (journ)

What I was suggesting is speculative is the non-AFL person being influenced by other members of the panel. Not your theory.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't even know who Bridget Lacy is, never heard of her, why the hell is somebody like that voting on this award in the first place?

How can they be influenced by the ex players? They all give their votes in secret do they not?

No idea, Im just speculating. I presume they do give their votes in secret, as to whether they discuss it amongst themselves is another issue.

In 2018 this was the voting.

Judges voting – 3 2 1.
Gavin Wanganeen (chair) – T Adams, L Shuey, J McGovern.
Wayne Carey – L Shuey, T Adams, D Sheed.
Bridget Lacy – L Shuey, T Adams, D Sheed.
John Longmire – L Shuey, D Sheed, T Langdon

Chris Judd (MMM, Chairman) - D Martin, B Houli, J Graham.
Terry Wallace (AFL Nation) - B Houli, S Edwards, D Martin.
Daisy Pearce (Channel 7) - D Martin, B Houli, D Prestia.
Mark Maclure (ABC Radio) - D Martin, A Rance, B Houli.
Jake Niall (Fox Sports) - D Martin, B Houli, D Prestia.

Brad Johnson (Fox Footy) - Johannisen 3, Kennedy 2, Boyd 1.
Emma Quayle (The Age) - Boyd 3, Johannisen 2, Kennedy 1.
Wayne Carey (Channel 7) - Boyd 3, Picken 2, Kennedy 1.
Michael Voss (SEN 1116) - Johannisen 3, Picken 2, Kennedy 1.
Jay Clark (Herald Sun) - Kennedy 3, Johannisen 2, Picken 1.

Aug 3, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
One i noticed today was Finlayson to kick 3 is $7.50 at SB. He was $9 yesterday. I think they have this wrong.
Has done 8/22 this season.
$2.80 to kick 2 which he has covered 14/22 this season.

Kicked 5 the last time they played Richmond.
yep agree. hes been in form as i mentioned.
been hammered into 6.50 now for 3 on SB. if interested u can still get him @8 on lads
I've been on him in a few games lately and been quite reliable.. but mayb someone else is "due" to dominate the scoreboard instead this week? lol, who knows.
Theres this stat too:
... he's playing alright & hit 1g+ in all of his last 10 games. He kicked 5g back in round3 v tigers too when grimes didnt play and giants won.
Then round 17, Finlayson missed the game and the giants lost to the tigers).
(He's kicked 2g+ in 7 of his last 10 games too)

FadingTheFave

Senior List
Jun 25, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Reckon Richmond have made an error at the selection table picking Pickett. Hard enough to get a feel for the pace of the game on debut in the regular season let alone a GF and you can be certain the Giants players will get stuck in to him e.g. the way they roughed up both the Dogs & Lions. Add to that he will have one less day preparation than everybody else on the field.

Shouldn't be surprised though as Richmond are a bit arrogant the way they talk about being such a tight open and honest group etc. Will Richmond be good enough to win comfortably anyway? Who knows, but if it is close he starts to become a liability.

TheScream

Senior List
Jul 19, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
As it's my team, not going heavy on the granny but just chucking a couple of legs in a multi that I think are overs;
Finlayson to kick a goal at 1.4 and Toby Greene to kick a goal at 1.55 (both through TAB)

happy punter

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2009
I still remember that night in Canberra where the Hawks spanked GWS and all the media had called their season to be over.

And now they are 1 win away. Amazing

I still remember that night in Canberra where the Hawks spanked GWS and all the media had called their season to be over.

And now they are 1 win away. Amazing

It's part of the reason I'm so keen on Richmond - people seem to have forgotten they finished 6th on the ladder and have just completely written off their H&A season to 'injuries'. The Tigers have looked a far superior team pretty much all year and if I think they perform anywhere near their best they will belt the giants.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
It's part of the reason I'm so keen on Richmond - people seem to have forgotten they finished 6th on the ladder and have just completely written off their H&A season to 'injuries'. The Tigers have looked a far superior team pretty much all year and if I think they perform anywhere near their best they will belt the giants.
The trend recently has been the team who plays well in the finals wins

Dogs 16 weren't the best all year, Crows 17 were the best all year and got beat by a rampaging Tigers, Tigers were the best all year and lost last season.

Having said that, Tigers are still in better form than the giants imo and will win, just don't write off the giants due to their home and away form.

The trend recently has been the team who plays well in the finals wins

Dogs 16 weren't the best all year, Crows 17 were the best all year and got beat by a rampaging Tigers, Tigers were the best all year and lost last season.

Having said that, Tigers are still in better form than the giants imo and will win, just don't write off the giants due to their home and away form.

Yeah the Crows 17 finals form was absolutely rubbish beating GWS by 6 goals and flogging the cats by 10 goals in the prelim.

Seems a solid myth.

mookieb

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've been banging on about GWS, but their team has alot of top end talent - Greene, Whitfield, Davis, Cameron, Kelly and Haynes, Taranto, de Boer (for his role) are also very damaging. The knock on them has been mental toughness, but the last 3 weeks they have played with super intensity and physicality. However, with a full squad they just sneaked by Bris and again against Coll they just sneaked in and both games they were on the ropes, but relied on Haynes and Davis to save them.

I liked Rich having a tough game and a bit of a wake up. Been the better performed team throughout the year, the finals and at games at the MCG. Think they'll go to another level as the game wears on. I have a futures bet on Rich, but if I was betting I would be taking Rich 4th quarter at a big margin. If GWS stop I think Rich will be better equipped to make them pay on the scoreboard rather than just bombing it long to the GWS intercept markers like Coll and Bris did.

Rich for the win, Prestia, Houli or Edwards for NS and Greene, Whitfield, Caddy or Kelly for 1st goal (midfielders have been kicking the 1st goal lately in GF's).

Rich for the win, Prestia, Houli or Edwards for NS and Greene, Whitfield, Caddy or Kelly for 1st goal (midfielders have been kicking the 1st goal lately in GF's).

When you have potentially, Mummy, Greene, DeBoer, Dusty in the centre square at the first bounce, it wouldnt suprise me to see a free kick and 50m penalty being awarded to start the game.

I can see a not in the "Spirit of the Game" free kick being awarded early.

There is going to be a lot of heat early in the kitchen.

mookieb

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
When you have potentially, Mummy, Greene, DeBoer, Dusty in the centre square at the first bounce, it wouldnt suprise me to see a free kick and 50m penalty being awarded to start the game.

I can see a not in the "Spirit of the Game" free kick being awarded early.

There is going to be a lot of heat early in the kitchen.
Yeah must be a good chance as well that Mummy or Greene get reported. Hopefully it's an old school GF with a bit of biffo and spite.

Yeah must be a good chance as well that Mummy or Greene get reported. Hopefully it's an old school GF with a bit of biffo and spite.

We are about due for a 1990 style brawl

and yet Richmond were the form team of the finals after not being the form team all season...

But how did you know that until after the grand final?

You could equally argue Adelaide was the form team of the finals a day before the GF

#myth

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
But how did you know that until after the grand final?

You could equally argue Adelaide was the form team of the finals a day before the GF

#myth
So you are agreeing with my point on not writing off the giants then?

Not sure what you are trying to argue here mate but its falling directly in line with my initial point after you were writing off the giants...

Back