Official Club Stuff 2019 GWS Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

Behind the swans obviously, but who else?

Sydney FC was 14,834 and the Wanderers were 19,007 for the 2017/18 season and Souths are only at 29k as the largest Sydney based team.

View attachment 710439
Think we are 2nd in NSW but we are behind the Broncos of the NRL..

I originally thought South's had more than 30k, just. My bad.

Great to get to the 30k figure and it still needs to show in the matchday crowds and hopefully with a sunny day and good timeslot the crowd for this weekend is between 18-20k more would be great but with 4 good home games to come and some sunny weather the average crowd for the year should increase

Great to get to the 30k figure and it still needs to show in the matchday crowds and hopefully with a sunny day and good timeslot the crowd for this weekend is between 18-20k more would be great but with 4 good home games to come and some sunny weather the average crowd for the year should increase
Agree

I think 18k should be a pass mark

It doesn't seem to add up.

With the club trumpeting 30,000 members, we should be posting “sold out” notices for games against large-drawing opponents like Collingwood.

Where are these members? Does anyone have a breakdown of how may there are in Sydney, the ACT, and interstate?

With the club trumpeting 30,000 members, we should be posting “sold out” notices for games against large-drawing opponents like Collingwood.

Where are these members? Does anyone have a breakdown of how may there are in Sydney, the ACT, and interstate?
Tigers have 100k and avg 50 or so.

We have a lot of 3 game member in comparison to other clubs(from what I've been told).

If we get a sellout against the Swans and a good crowd against the dogs we should have our biggest avg crowd since we began. I think.

73% NSW. Presumably mainly in Sydney, though Queanbeyan/Duffy are 5th and 6th for suburbs with most members.
15% ACT
12% Other

35% new members in 2019, which I assume would be mainly short term memberships on top of whatever %age already held short term memberships.

Yeah I agree. The pace of the reported membership growth seems much faster than the growth in home crowds.

I may be wrong but the member numbers also include the womens and the netball memberships and that will inflate the figures but as discussed the member numbers need to equal larger crowds at GS and Canberra and hopefully a few favourable factors and a good draw in 2020 we will see the crowd numbers increase again. I can see the average increasing again this year and we all know the best way to increase the crowds are wins in September

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I may be wrong but the member numbers also include the womens and the netball memberships and that will inflate the figures but as discussed the member numbers need to equal larger crowds at GS and Canberra and hopefully a few favourable factors and a good draw in 2020 we will see the crowd numbers increase again. I can see the average increasing again this year and we all know the best way to increase the crowds are wins in September

They include the woman's, that aren't double ups, only. Netball not included.

After 8 years the Richmond Tigers only had 306 members - must have been propped up by the VFA at the time :)
They didn't break 30k members until 2007 so we beat them to that mark by 114 years.

And to pick a random year... (well, not so random, I like symmetry) 1988 - eighty years after joining the league - 80 years of playing at the very epicentre of downtown footy heartland - their home crowds at the home of football, The Mecca of Mecca’s, the centre of the footballing universe, the MCG were....

For an average of 18,831

So after 80 years in the heart of heartland they were averaging about 6k more than we do on the frontier of the hostile wilderness after 8 years.

.... but.... you know.... Victoria.

Last edited:
After 8 years the Richmond Tigers only had 306 members - must have been propped up by the VFA at the time :)
They didn't break 30k members until 2007 so we beat them to that mark by 114 years.

Not a great comparison really, in those days to become a member you needed to be seconded by another member or official in some cases 2 members, AFL memberships only really became popular in the 1990's when big growth happened as it became easier to get one.

I am not knocking the Giants of course, hopefully in a couple of years we will be around 50k

And to pick a random year... (well, not so random, I like symmetry) 1988 - eighty years after joining the league - 80 years of playing at the very epicentre of downtown footy heartland - their home crowds at the home of football, The Mecca of Mecca’s, the centre of the footballing universe, the MCG were....

For an average of 18,831

So after 80 years in the heart of heartland they were averaging about 6k more than we do on the frontier of the hostile wilderness after 8 years.

.... but.... you know.... Victoria.

Richmond played at Punt road till about the mid 1960's then moved to the MCG, in 1988 they averaged at home 20,259, seven years earlier they averaged over 43,000, seven years later over 42,000

Remove this Banner Ad

Back