Hottest 100 of the '10s

Remove this Banner Ad

I get that Triple J’s remit is to pump up Aussie music, but the idea that 65 of the best songs of the year come from Australia and 35 from the entire rest of the world is laughable. They have pushed it too far, abandoning acts that used to be their bread and butter. Hard to believe Vampire Weekend didn’t get a single song in when the album is making top 10 lists. Harmony Hall would have been a top 10 song in years gone by.

No Stella Donnelly, no Montaigne, no Alex the Astronaut, no Waax, no Ruby Fields, no Jack River.

For all the air time Triple J gives to young Australian female talent, it’s weird that people don’t vote for them.

I’m also stunned that King Princess didn’t make it given the high rotation she got.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
On the flip side (pun half-intended), G-Flip and Alex Lahey as did Thelma Plum (even though she's been around for a while). I thought Stella would've featured but she'll be in the 200-101 along with the others. The lack of Amity Affliction was a huge surprise for me. They've consistently placed every year they've released music despite being a genre that's an outlier to the rest of the list, so to see them miss out was unexpected, especially given Slipknot featured.

On the flip side (pun half-intended), G-Flip and Alex Lahey as did Thelma Plum (even though she's been around for a while). I thought Stella would've featured but she'll be in the 200-101 along with the others. The lack of Amity Affliction was a huge surprise for me. They've consistently placed every year they've released music despite being a genre that's an outlier to the rest of the list, so to see them miss out was unexpected, especially given Slipknot featured.
The lack of any of Alex Laheys originals was surprising though. Thought Don't Be So Hard On Yourself would get in.

Okay so this thing sucked yesterday. But I have a feel the 200-101 is going to be full of bangers. Have they announced when it will be yet?

Also, zero Foals songs is absolutely absurd. Also thought Northlane could snag a spot and expected far more than one Bring Me The Horizon song at 96.

Love the JJJ top 100 these days (well the reaction as I don't listen to JJJ)

Those over the ago of 25 complaining about the results when you don't realise they aren't the voting demographic (you use to be when you were 16-25), now you are to old and not part of the'cool' JJJ listeners

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Stella Donnelly, no Montaigne, no Alex the Astronaut, no Waax, no Ruby Fields, no Jack River.

For all the air time Triple J gives to young Australian female talent, it’s weird that people don’t vote for them.

I’m also stunned that King Princess didn’t make it given the high rotation she got.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

there was plenty of other mediocre, bland female Australian talent that made the 100 tho, can't have them all in there thankfully

I get that Triple J’s remit is to pump up Aussie music, but the idea that 65 of the best songs of the year come from Australia and 35 from the entire rest of the world is laughable. They have pushed it too far, abandoning acts that used to be their bread and butter. Hard to believe Vampire Weekend didn’t get a single song in when the album is making top 10 lists. Harmony Hall would have been a top 10 song in years gone by.

agreed 100%, they have been getting worse the last few years, basically to the point where people are voting for Aussie music just for the sake it's Australian, regardless of it's quality. the balance between the origination of the countdown up until a few years back was much better and made for a really good mix

on the countdown, as bad as Billie Eilish is, she's slightly better than Tones and I so that's the only redeeming thing for me. once Bulls came on at 5 I was hoping for Flume, who coming 2nd with one of his weaker efforts overall is a big result, but it wasn't to be

now hopefully we can have all the annoying "WHEN IS A WOMAN GOING TO WIN THE H100" muppets shut up about it, I'm sure there'll be something else to whinge about after the decade results are mainly male orientated tho

Yeah, I've noticed this too. In fact thanks to wikipedia I can tell you that 2008-13 had an average of 44 Aussie songs. Since then the average is 62.5 (2013 had 45; 2014 had 60?!?!).

/rant

I think I've voted in a hottest 100 twice before, so don't really give a s**t about it or JJJ to be honest, but them doing this has, IMO, had a big impact on our music culture in general. Gone are the days of not that long ago where the bigger festivals were a surefire chance to see plenty of acts who (to put it not very kindly) Pitchfork gave their Best New Album tags to, fleshed out by a bunch of local bands; now we get festivals full of whatever Aussie acts Kingsmill has decided that 18 year olds around the country should be listening to, who all sound and look the same, and maybe a couple of mid-sized critically acclaimed acts from overseas if we're lucky.

There are obviously more factors than just JJJ (festivals growing too quickly, too many of them popping up, different musical landscape, maybe it's not worth the effort for bands to come out here anymore?), but I don't think you can ignore it either. Which is a shame, because not only does it mean that the very best music from around the world isn't being played, it means those acts are a risky bet for festival and concert promoters, leading to our music scene being incredibly monotonous. Which is great if you're in a band who likes s**t haircuts and pretending to skate and surf, but not so much for anyone else.

(Wait, was this what things were like for people who didn't care for grunge back in the 90s?)

/rant

Where did this song finish?

It reminded me of the old Pixies but I guess they aren't cool anymore.

Did you vote for Billie Eilish this year Plug? I would've thought she'd be right up 90s JJJ listeners' alleys: mainstream pretending not be, popular with moody teens who think that Nirvana is an obscure find, and ultimately a not-as-good version of acts who came along first.

Yeah, I've noticed this too. In fact thanks to wikipedia I can tell you that 2008-13 had an average of 44 Aussie songs. Since then the average is 62.5 (2013 had 45; 2014 had 60?!?!).

/rant

I think I've voted in a hottest 100 twice before, so don't really give a s**t about it or JJJ to be honest, but them doing this has, IMO, had a big impact on our music culture in general. Gone are the days of not that long ago where the bigger festivals were a surefire chance to see plenty of acts who (to put it not very kindly) Pitchfork gave their Best New Album tags to, fleshed out by a bunch of local bands; now we get festivals full of whatever Aussie acts Kingsmill has decided that 18 year olds around the country should be listening to, who all sound and look the same, and maybe a couple of mid-sized critically acclaimed acts from overseas if we're lucky.

There are obviously more factors than just JJJ (festivals growing too quickly, too many of them popping up, different musical landscape, maybe it's not worth the effort for bands to come out here anymore?), but I don't think you can ignore it either. Which is a shame, because not only does it mean that the very best music from around the world isn't being played, it means those acts are a risky bet for festival and concert promoters, leading to our music scene being incredibly monotonous. Which is great if you're in a band who likes s**t haircuts and pretending to skate and surf, but not so much for anyone else.

(Wait, was this what things were like for people who didn't care for grunge back in the 90s?)

/rant

Did you vote for Billie Eilish this year Plug? I would've thought she'd be right up 90s JJJ listeners' alleys: mainstream pretending not be, popular with moody teens who think that Nirvana is an obscure find, and ultimately a not-as-good version of acts who came along first.

Kingsmill hasn't been the music director for 2 years now.

/rant

/rant

Falls Festival?
laneway?

Last edited:
What end of year lists do people like? Songs or albums

Mojo End Of Year Recordings 2019
1. Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - Ghosteen
2. Bill Callahan - Shepherd In A Sheepskin Vest
3. Bruce Springsteen - Western Stars
4. The Comet Is Coming - Trust In The Lifeforce Of The Deep Mystery
5. Aldous Harding - Designer
6. Fontains D.C. - Dogrel
7. Lana Del Rey - Norman ******* Rockwell!!
8. Black Midi - Schagenheim
9. Purple Mountains - Purple Mountains
10. Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry - Rainford
11. Brittany Howard - Jamie
12. Jenny Lewis - On The Line
13. Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
14. Fat White Family - Serfs Up
15. Tinariwan - Amadjar
16. Amyl & The Sniffers - Amyl & The Sniffers
17. Solange - When I Get Home
18. P.P Arnold - The New Adventures Of P.P. Arnold
19. Cate Le Bon - Reward
20. 75 Dollar Bill - I Was Real
21. Michael Kiwanuka - Kiwanuka
22. Big Thief - U.F.O.F.
23. Dave - Psychodrama
24. Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow
25. Thom Yorke - Anima
26. The Raconteurs - Help Us Stranger
27. Lizzo - Cuz I Love You
28. Underworld - Drift Series 1: Sampler
29. Edwin Collins - Badbea
30. Esperanza Spalding - 12 Little Spells
31. Hot Chip - A Bath Full Of Ecstasy
32. Robert Forster - Inferno
33. Jake Xerxes Fussell - Out Of Sight
34. Sturgill Simpson - Sound And Fury
35. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Infest The Rats Nest
36. Sleater-Kinney - The Center Won’t Hold
37. Leonard Cohen - Thanks For The Dance
38. Flying Lotus - Flamagra
39. Mavis Staples - We Get By
40. Angel Olson - All Mirrors
41. Slowthai - Nothing Great About Britain
42. Durand Jones & The Indications - American Love Call
43. Modern Nature - How To Live
44. Chris Forsyth - All Time Present
45. Royal Trux - White Stuff
46. Deerhunter - Why Hasn’t Everything Already Disappeared?
47. Bon Iver - I,I
48. Jenny Hval - The Practice Of Love
49. Rustin Man - Drift Code
50. Lambchop - This (Is What I Wanted Too Tell You)
51. Richard Dawson - 2020
52. Wilco - Ode To Joy
53. Sunn O))) - Life Metal
54. Steve Gunn - The Unseen Between
55. Cass McCombs - Tip Of The Sphere
56. Danny Brown - U Know What I’m Sayin’
57. Santana - Africa Speaks
58. Lankum - The Livelong Day
59. The Who - Who
60. Tool - Fear Inoculum
61. Neil Young - Colorado
62. Oh Sees - Face Stabber
63. Mega Bog - Dolphine
64. Rhiannon Giddens - There Is No Other
65. Sleaford Mods - Eton Alive
66. Vampire Weekend - Father Of The Bride
67. Madonna - Madame X
68. Jamila Woods - Legacy! Legacy!
69. Seed Ensemble - Driftglass
70. Sarathy Korwar - More Arriving
71. Hiss Golden Messenger - Terms Of Surrender
72. Gruff Rhys - Pang!
73. The Specials - Encore
74. Hannah Peel & Will Burns - Chalk Hill Blue
75. Jessica Pratt - Quiet Signs

Re Issues

1. The Beatles - Abbey Road [Deluxe Edition]
2. Bob Dylan - The Rolling Thunder Review: 1975 Live Recordings
3. Stereolab - Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements
4. Prince - Originals
5. Aretha Franklin - Amazing Grace: The Complete Recordings
6. Dinosaur Jr. - Where You Been
7. Prefab Sprout - I Trawl The Megahertz
8. Marvin Gaye - You’re The Man
9. Peter Laughner - Peter Laughner
10. Popol Vuh - The Essential Album Collection
11. Gene Clark - No Other
12. Alive Clark - Alice Clark
13. Prince - 1999 [Super Deluxe Edition]
14. Michael Rother - Solo
15. Caravan - The Decca/Deram Years
16. Patrice Rushen - Remind Me - The Classic Elektra Recordings
17. Various Artists - Woodstock - 50th Anniversary Experience
18. Ronnie Lane - Just For A Moment: 1973-1997
19. Various Artists - The Time For Peace Is Mow
20. Various Artists - Kankyo Ongako: Japanese Ambient

What end of year lists do people like? Songs or albums

Mojo End Of Year Recordings 2019
1. Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - Ghosteen
2. Bill Callahan - Shepherd In A Sheepskin Vest
3. Bruce Springsteen - Western Stars
4. The Comet Is Coming - Trust In The Lifeforce Of The Deep Mystery
5. Aldous Harding - Designer
6. Fontains D.C. - Dogrel
7. Lana Del Rey - Norman ******* Rockwell!!
8. Black Midi - Schagenheim
9. Purple Mountains - Purple Mountains
10. Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry - Rainford
11. Brittany Howard - Jamie
12. Jenny Lewis - On The Line
13. Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
14. Fat White Family - Serfs Up
15. Tinariwan - Amadjar
16. Amyl & The Sniffers - Amyl & The Sniffers
17. Solange - When I Get Home
18. P.P Arnold - The New Adventures Of P.P. Arnold
19. Cate Le Bon - Reward
20. 75 Dollar Bill - I Was Real
21. Michael Kiwanuka - Kiwanuka
22. Big Thief - U.F.O.F.
23. Dave - Psychodrama
24. Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow
25. Thom Yorke - Anima
26. The Raconteurs - Help Us Stranger
27. Lizzo - Cuz I Love You
28. Underworld - Drift Series 1: Sampler
29. Edwin Collins - Badbea
30. Esperanza Spalding - 12 Little Spells
31. Hot Chip - A Bath Full Of Ecstasy
32. Robert Forster - Inferno
33. Jake Xerxes Fussell - Out Of Sight
34. Sturgill Simpson - Sound And Fury
35. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Infest The Rats Nest
36. Sleater-Kinney - The Center Won’t Hold
37. Leonard Cohen - Thanks For The Dance
38. Flying Lotus - Flamagra
39. Mavis Staples - We Get By
40. Angel Olson - All Mirrors
41. Slowthai - Nothing Great About Britain
42. Durand Jones & The Indications - American Love Call
43. Modern Nature - How To Live
44. Chris Forsyth - All Time Present
45. Royal Trux - White Stuff
46. Deerhunter - Why Hasn’t Everything Already Disappeared?
47. Bon Iver - I,I
48. Jenny Hval - The Practice Of Love
49. Rustin Man - Drift Code
50. Lambchop - This (Is What I Wanted Too Tell You)
51. Richard Dawson - 2020
52. Wilco - Ode To Joy
53. Sunn O))) - Life Metal
54. Steve Gunn - The Unseen Between
55. Cass McCombs - Tip Of The Sphere
56. Danny Brown - U Know What I’m Sayin’
57. Santana - Africa Speaks
58. Lankum - The Livelong Day
59. The Who - Who
60. Tool - Fear Inoculum
61. Neil Young - Colorado
62. Oh Sees - Face Stabber
63. Mega Bog - Dolphine
64. Rhiannon Giddens - There Is No Other
65. Sleaford Mods - Eton Alive
66. Vampire Weekend - Father Of The Bride
67. Madonna - Madame X
68. Jamila Woods - Legacy! Legacy!
69. Seed Ensemble - Driftglass
70. Sarathy Korwar - More Arriving
71. Hiss Golden Messenger - Terms Of Surrender
72. Gruff Rhys - Pang!
73. The Specials - Encore
74. Hannah Peel & Will Burns - Chalk Hill Blue
75. Jessica Pratt - Quiet Signs

Re Issues

1. The Beatles - Abbey Road [Deluxe Edition]
2. Bob Dylan - The Rolling Thunder Review: 1975 Live Recordings
3. Stereolab - Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements
4. Prince - Originals
5. Aretha Franklin - Amazing Grace: The Complete Recordings
6. Dinosaur Jr. - Where You Been
7. Prefab Sprout - I Trawl The Megahertz
8. Marvin Gaye - You’re The Man
9. Peter Laughner - Peter Laughner
10. Popol Vuh - The Essential Album Collection
11. Gene Clark - No Other
12. Alive Clark - Alice Clark
13. Prince - 1999 [Super Deluxe Edition]
14. Michael Rother - Solo
15. Caravan - The Decca/Deram Years
16. Patrice Rushen - Remind Me - The Classic Elektra Recordings
17. Various Artists - Woodstock - 50th Anniversary Experience
18. Ronnie Lane - Just For A Moment: 1973-1997
19. Various Artists - The Time For Peace Is Mow
20. Various Artists - Kankyo Ongako: Japanese Ambient

Consequence of Sound’s album list last year was pretty spot on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back