Prediction 2019 "Hypothetical Trade, FA, random player you wish we could get" thread..

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn landing?

• Patton

Votes: 164 71.0%
  • Finn Maginness

Votes: 198 85.7%
  • Greenwood

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • Frost

Votes: 111 48.1%
  • Bonar

Votes: 66 28.6%
  • Pepper

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Cox

Votes: 36 15.6%
  • Petracca

Votes: 77 33.3%
  • Elliot

Votes: 68 29.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ill concede i underrated naughton but worpel is a better prospect than stephenson and raynor
I love Worpel and he's one of the better prospects we've had in recent years but I'd be confident in saying most opposition supporters would disagree.
You're not factoring in how damaging each player is, their ability to impact the course of a game and their ceilings.
I'd suggest that all 3 rate higher than Worpel in those areas currently.

right.... so rayners 9 disposals and 1 goal at 66% efficiency are better than Worpel's 25 disposals 65% efficiency 4 score involvements while playing arguably as arguably 2nd midfielder...

that'll be me done

Personally, I'd have Worpel ahead of Raynor also. Raynor is looking like another Christian Petracca as opposed to Jordan Degoey.

I don't see it with Brayshaw at all. Just looks like an good-average footballer with few tricks.

As for Worpel ahead of Naughton and Stephenson, s**t, cmon man...

Greenwood would be a fantastic Poppy replacement. Not sure he has the speed? But his pressure around the ball is manic and he is a very dangerous overhead mark that could hit the scoreboard regularly.

Still, at this age, and with his ceiling, you'd only chase him if the club feels they are in contention. We'd need plenty of other things to happen in the trade period for this to be the case.

Ben Brown conversation has just been put to bed.

Be interesting to see whether North are mature enough to trade him for a 3rd so as to clear cap space & use it elsewhere.

Personally, I'd have Worpel ahead of Raynor also. Raynor is looking like another Christian Petracca as opposed to Jordan Degoey.

I don't see it with Brayshaw at all. Just looks like an good-average footballer with few tricks.

As for Worpel ahead of Naughton and Stephenson, ****, cmon man...

I conceded naughton after i remembered his games against the tiges and someone else where he's dominated

Stephensons a good player, but I'd take worps.

Worpel is a second year player who is now a key component of our midfield.

Tom Mitchell didn't start getting numbers like worp's until his 3rd year of AFL footy

Jaeger didn't reach those sorts of numbers until his second year.... at hawthorn.

Sam Mitchell his 4th year.

I just reckon you guys are undervaluing worpel's ability in the midfield in just his 2nd year.

Ben Brown conversation has just been put to bed.

Be interesting to see whether North are mature enough to trade him for a 3rd so as to clear cap space & use it elsewhere.

If they really want to compete, they'd make a move.

If they want to have the best chance at making finals in the near future, probably keep those veteran guns

I conceded naughton after i remembered his games against the tiges and someone else where he's dominated

Stephensons a good player, but I'd take worps.

Worpel is a second year player who is now a key component of our midfield.

Tom Mitchell didn't start getting numbers like worp's until his 3rd year of AFL footy

Jaeger didn't reach those sorts of numbers until his second year.... at hawthorn.

Sam Mitchell his 4th year.

I just reckon you guys are undervaluing worpel's ability in the midfield in just his 2nd year.
A bit of polish would take him from good/very-good to superstar IMO.

I know he doesn’t always have a lot of time & we don’t always give him a lot of options, but I’d love to see him hit up a 20m-30m pass & retain possession sometimes, instead of always going long (40m+) & losing possession.

Again, we could do a lot more to help him out in this regard, but I see this as the next evolution in his game.

If they really want to compete, they'd make a move.

If they want to have the best chance at making finals in the near future, probably keep those veteran guns
Which ones are the veteran guns?

Sorry mate, I don’t really understand your post.

Which ones are the veteran guns?

Sorry mate, I don’t really understand your post.

I mean, if North want to compete for a premiership seriously in the next couple years, which was their clear intention 6 months ago, they will need to pull the trigger in a move with one/some of Brown, Higgins, Cunnington, Zieball, Goldstein to reshuffle to playing group as obviously this recipe is not working.

insert definition of insanity.

This is a risky move, losing a good player, but would be neccessary for premiership contention.

as opposed to playing it safe, not making any significant moves with the list and simply attempting to build a finals-bound team for next year(but we all know they would not seriously contend without pulling the trigger on someone)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brown would be a superstar in our team.

Genuinely one of the most underrated superstars in the game. He is so consistent.

More than Coniglio even, he would transform us to a contender immediately with Mitchell back. Providing Frawley could stay on the park.

Now, if we land Coniglio, I wouldn't give rats if we gave up a first and early second for Ben Brown. He will only be 27 in November.

Bruest and Gunston, and hopefully Wingard, would benefit so much from this type of forward. Lewis would also thrive not having much expectation, would be amazing for his further development.

Why are we trying to compare Worple and Rayner? They play different roles, apples and oranges.
I'm sure their respective coaches are more than happy with their output.

Hugh Greenwood is what we want Daniel Howe to be.
Playing well in the twos?

Jokes aside, I would be supportive of getting Greenwood. Can tackle well, win clearances and take contested marks - he's young to the game and been improving year on year but there's something rotten in the water at Adelaide. I'd pick him up under the Ricky Henderson clause.

We need a better player like Coniglio no doubt if Clarkos plans of setting up another dynasty are to come to fruition.

Looking at the list, it's quite evident that ball-winning midfielders are thin on the ground. The addition of Coniglio, Greenwood and a youngster like Will Brodie would shore us up for the next few years. We've got some project players at BH like Kosi, CJ, Nash. If just two out of those three can come on then we will be well set.

Patton: it seems likely that we'd take the risk with Patton. Low trade cost, high salary in the short term which shouldn't be an issue. Has he got the talent to be able to transform his game like Tom Hawkins? The problem is that we'd be recruiting him in the hope that he'd play differently to how he did before. I also don't look forward to watching him butcher regulation set-shots.

Possibly however they'd want way too much at the trade table for him mate.

He also has major deficiencies in his game that need to be worked on as well.
Those deficiencies aren't so bad if he's playing in within a good forward structure/system though.

He's crap below his waist, but he's a 200cm Goal Square Full Forward - let Popeye, Breust & Wingard worry about what happens below Brown's waist. Wait... that sounded bad, but you know what I mean...

Also, he & Lewis can ruck for 3 mins each & when deep forward, allowing us to play 1x ruckman only.

My concern is whether he has the brain for such structure as he looked bloody lost in the first half today; however, that may be the result of his environment & even team selection.

Bloody nice game from Will Brodie today.

Had 29 disposals - 19K 10H to go with 10T and 1G in a loss to Norf 😁
I watched the first half with interest & reckon he is slow. He got it a lot across half back & gave it back a bit. In fairness, seems to have got quite busy after that.

Still prefer Ellis-Yolman.

Those deficiencies aren't so bad if he's playing in within a good forward structure/system though.

He's crap below his waist, but he's a 200cm Goal Square Full Forward - let Popeye, Breust & Wingard worry about what happens below Brown's waist. Wait... that sounded bad, but you know what I mean...

Also, he & Lewis can ruck for 3 mins each & when deep forward, allowing us to play 1x ruckman only.

My concern is whether he has the brain for such structure as he looked bloody lost in the first half today; however, that may be the result of his environment & even team selection.

Possibly but we all know how ineffective our forward line is functioning at the moment, his addition may improve that but it could also very realistically add to our woes there.

He's defensively lazy to say the least, lacks the required football IQ to take his game to the next level and quite often goes missing throughout patches of games quite easily.

That's not to say that some of or even all of these concerns can't be improved, however it's a bigger risk than some are making it out to be considering what it would cost us in a trade and also the sizable chunk it would take from our salary cap.

Don't get me wrong if he can mark the ball on a lead then he's one of the most reliable set shots in the league, but when the going gets tough he's nowhere to be found and I've never seen him work his way into a game after a poor start.

I'm not entirely against recruiting him but I do have very real and valid concerns especially when people are talking him up as being worthy of trading for an early pick.

I'd much rather target Mason Wood who would come at a substantially lower cost and if we can get his body right could prove to be the better option and player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back