Prediction 2019 "Hypothetical Trade, FA, random player you wish we could get" thread..

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn landing?

• Patton

Votes: 164 71.0%
  • Finn Maginness

Votes: 198 85.7%
  • Greenwood

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • Frost

Votes: 111 48.1%
  • Bonar

Votes: 66 28.6%
  • Pepper

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Cox

Votes: 36 15.6%
  • Petracca

Votes: 77 33.3%
  • Elliot

Votes: 68 29.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure. But I was saying Buckleys chance Smith agrees to go dude. A very important part of this hypothetical.
Yes. Unless he opts for a Lewis type thing in which he can earn a longer contract for good money at Gold Coast. 3 year contract may be attractive. I do t know why he would want to go other than this but this is the hypothetical thread so I’ll chuck in Bruest & Shiels into the trade as well. 😛

Sure. But I was saying Buckleys chance Smith agrees to go dude. A very important part of this hypothetical.
Smith most likely will leave.
Yes he has a contract for next year but when you’re faced with a ‘conditional’ 12 month renewal OR 3+ years at another club then push may come to shove.

Several senior players will and should be nervous

Yes. Unless he opts for a Lewis type thing in which he can earn a longer contract for good money at Gold Coast. 3 year contract may be attractive. I do t know why he would want to go other than this but this is the hypothetical thread so I’ll chuck in Bruest & Shiels into the trade as well. 😛

Haha. What do we get for all three? Picks 1 and 2 surely. Rowell and Anderson?

Smith most likely will leave.
Yes he has a contract for next year but when you’re faced with a ‘conditional’ 12 month renewal OR 3+ years at another club then push may come to shove.

Several senior players will and should be nervous

I don't disagree mate. But I'd be ******* speechless if he went to the Suns. Other Melbourne teams seem to be keen.

He's in line to get a "lewis type thing" from Melbourne or the Dogs.

No need for him sell himself to that dump in Qld.

You are our Burgoyne ITK - is the GC approach real enough to be of concern?
I'll find out
What I do know is that Shaun loves playing, and isn't one to stop because he wants to go out on top
If Hawthorn think he's done, he'll look to play on at another club

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Better be selling these players for market price rather than the two bobs we received for Lewis and Mitchell.
Mojo, we let them go for free because we had to entice other clubs into taking them. Thst was 'market price' as it's what others were willing to pay.

We wanted to clear $1m+ from our books. No club was going to take those players at anything but an unusable Pick without demanding we pay half the player's salary.

It was clear that Lewis was done or we'd have kept him. No club was gong to give him a 3 year deal @ $500k as well as handing over a 2nd Rounder. The only way clubs were taking them on was if they came effectively for free.

Surely you'd rather us have JO'M & Tom Mitchell on the list now than see us stuck with a retired Mitchell & an unplayable Lewis, because we walked away from those deals because we couldn't get 2nd / 3rd Rounders for each?

Last edited:
If smith decides to leave, then he’ll just take the offers from 4 other clubs as a choice to play in Melbourne, he didn’t take the GC offer that was extremely lucrative 2 and a half years ago, I don’t think he’s about to change his mind especially with him not really wanting to leave hawthorn in the first place. There’s a bit to play out on that front.
I believe the hawks are prepared for life without Burgoyne next year and beyond. Not sure if anything’s changed in the last month.
Our offer for Cogs is quite lucrative, more than any player we have on our list.

I must be one of the few supporters who was happy to see Lewis take the 3 years from Melbourne.
His time at Hawthorn was done IMO.

Stay for the premierships, leave for the cash.

If you want players to take unders for 8-10 years, don't begrudge them the opportunity to top up at the oppositions expense.
I hope we do the same in the next premiership cycle.
I agree.

And it was a Win-Win-Win trade.

We: Cleared $500k+
Lewis: Got a 3-year deal
Melb: Got an on-field & off-field leader.

I think every party got what they wanted out of this trade*.

*Sure, Melbs are crap again now, but I reckon Lewis' being there had a lot to do with their performance last year. His leadership more so than his 22.5 possessions. He played 24 games & they finished 4th (?). He's played 6x games this year & they'll be lucky to finish Top 18. There's far more going wrong at that club than Lewis & in reality, there's not much (this season) he could do to fix it.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the Hodge-Mitchell-Lewis trades still stick in my gizzard a lot.

Happy these players were able continue their careers given they were no longer guaranteed game time at the Hawks, BUT the compensation we received via each trade...Lewis = basically nothing, Mitchell pick 88, and Hodge Pick 75.

So Lewis, Mitchell, Hodge for picks 75 and 88. Read that again slowly.....and then i think about the impact those 3 have had at their news clubs, not just on field but more generally.

for pick 75 and 88?

And then i think of Burgoyne and the fact he'll go for next to nothing again - possibly - to the GCS and would undoubtedly keep playing and be a key leader at that Club - IF he goes.

There's something wrong when we trade (willingly i know) players of that calibre and get such poor currency in return.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the Hodge-Mitchell-Lewis trades still stick in my gizzard a lot.

Happy these players were able continue their careers given they were no longer guaranteed game time at the Hawks, BUT the compensation we received via each trade...Lewis = basically nothing, Mitchell pick 88, and Hodge Pick 75.

So Lewis, Mitchell, Hodge for picks 75 and 88. Read that again slowly.....and then i think about the impact those 3 have had at their news clubs, not just on field but more generally.

for pick 75 and 88?

And then i think of Burgoyne and the fact he'll go for next to nothing again - possibly - to the GCS and would undoubtedly keep playing and be a key leader at that Club - IF he goes.

There's something wrong when we trade (willingly i know) players of that calibre and get such poor currency in return.
:rolleyes:

Please... Make it stop...

for pick 75 and 88?

And Gold Coast got what was essentially Pick 19 for Ablett. That's what makes it more frustrating.

If smith decides to leave, then he’ll just take the offers from 4 other clubs as a choice to play in Melbourne, he didn’t take the GC offer that was extremely lucrative 2 and a half years ago, I don’t think he’s about to change his mind especially with him not really wanting to leave hawthorn in the first place. There’s a bit to play out on that front.
I believe the hawks are prepared for life without Burgoyne next year and beyond. Not sure if anything’s changed in the last month.
Our offer for Cogs is quite lucrative, more than any player we have on our list.

Would be the highest paid Hawk for sure. Hopefully it's enough given Carlton are willing to make him the highest paid player in the league.

Would be the highest paid Hawk for sure. Hopefully it's enough given Carlton are willing to make him the highest paid player in the league.
There's been various numbers bandied about in what it would take to appease Coniglio's financial demands. Now one would hope that we learnt a lot from missing out on Lynch last offseason in what it takes to secure a RFA. I don't think it will take anything stupid like 1.3-1.6m per season like what Carlton and St. Kilda have been rumoured to be offering just something closer to 1m per season.

At this very point in time we are not in the window to contend but with the addition of Coniglio and some other pieces (trades / draft) I don't think we are that far away. Carlton and St. Kilda can offer as much as they like but we hold 3 aces in our hand (Clarko / O'Meara / Mitchell returning) that they just can't compete with.

There's been various numbers bandied about in what it would take to appease Coniglio's financial demands. Now one would hope that we learnt a lot from missing out on Lynch last offseason in what it takes to secure a RFA. I don't think it will take anything stupid like 1.3-1.6m per season like what Carlton and St. Kilda have been rumoured to be offering just something closer to 1m per season.

At this very point in time we are not in the window to contend but with the addition of Coniglio and some other pieces (trades / draft) I don't think we are that far away. Carlton and St. Kilda can offer as much as they like but we hold 3 aces in our hand (Clarko / O'Meara / Mitchell returning) that they just can't compete with.
Given that Lynch reportedly went to the 9'ers for less than we offered, what is it that you hope we've learned?

Given that Lynch reportedly went to the 9'ers for less than we offered, what is it that you hope we've learned?

The main lesson I think is the recognition that we are nowhere near the type of destination club that we used to be. There's a thin line between low balling and making stupid godfather offers and there's no surprise that contending teams can pay a lot less with the promise of success (West Coast / Richmond etc) and the minnows have to ridiculously over pay due to the less likely chance of success (St. Kilda / Carlton etc). Then you have teams that are the middle of the road where we currently sit where we shouldn't have to over pay but definitely not under pay.

Wrighty and Clarko are not stupid and I fully expect that they would've learnt this but if they haven't and they are stubborn enough to still see us in the upper echelon of contending teams then low balling prospective free agents will only result in us missing out. Obviously Wrighty and Clarko would know where we are as a club and with our list at a crossroads we need to hit the jackpot on free agency more so now than we have in the past. I expect them to be offering 1m per season to Coniglio and if they haven't and we miss out then it is our own fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back