Prediction 2019 "Hypothetical Trade, FA, random player you wish we could get" thread..

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn landing?

• Patton

Votes: 164 71.0%
  • Finn Maginness

Votes: 198 85.7%
  • Greenwood

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • Frost

Votes: 111 48.1%
  • Bonar

Votes: 66 28.6%
  • Pepper

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Cox

Votes: 36 15.6%
  • Petracca

Votes: 77 33.3%
  • Elliot

Votes: 68 29.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
If i was looking at gold coast, it wouldn't be at players who have just signed three year contract extensions.

I might be more inclined to look at players who are refusing to sign contract extensions, and no, I'm not talking about Martin.
Jack Martin would be good though

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
All this talk of trading out Ceglar, is very speculative.
He's are only decent back up ruck as proved Friday night- he was huge. Had he pulled in the the 6+ marks he just missed he may of been Bog.
reeves is too young & Pittonet is not AFL standard.
Seen Pitts at Box Hill, he's a very good VFL Ruck but can't cut it with the big boys!
So if we do trade out Cegs, we need to top up with a player of similar standard.
Is peter wright that player maybe?

Cegs is the one driving this he wants regular games and fair enough but he may shop him self around and not find a better option elsewhere.. most teams have a solid ruck or a good young one coming thru. Eg ,Marshall,English,Obrien,

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
I don’t mind this at all.

If this is actually happening I would be inclined to think we are moving on from Cegs & preparing for the end of McEvoy.

If 2mP comes to Hawthorn as the primary ruck that can rotate with Patton & Lewis up forward he would be a fantastic inclusion. Farley mobile marking ruck that can roll up the ground as a dangerous forward.

I can’t honestly comment on his ruck work but given Monkey is a ruck whisper, 2mP would only need to break even rucking & then expose his opponent around the ground, it looks like a Clarko play.

On the trade front...

Gunston To GC with 2mP & pick 16(Brisbane pick)... sold.
It would certainly give us some added trade currency for another 25 year old or hit the draft.

So..

Cogs
Patton
2mP
Draft pick at 6
*insert player (pick 16 or trade)

That is a rather significant off season when you still have the supposed Smith trade, possible Cegs trade, a second & third rd draft selection.

Why do you incessantly post trades involving Gunston? Did he do something to you?

There's no way Gunston would be traded for 2MP, who has never shown he has half Gunston's ability, and a late first.

Timo pez

Senior List
Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why do you incessantly post trades involving Gunston? Did he do something to you?

There's no way Gunston would be traded for 2MP, who has never shown he has half Gunston's ability, and a late first.
Because he's still got years ahead, and has proven talent to yield either first round pick, or help bring in a star. We don't have many of those guys we can give up, so it's not like people have anything personal against Jack.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Because he's still got years ahead, and has proven talent to yield either first round pick, or help bring in a star. We don't have many of those guys we can give up, so it's not like people have anything personal against Jack.

We are more likely to win with Gunston (fit) and in the team than with 2MP. Regardless of whether you think the FA/trade in guns route is going to work that seems to be the direction we have taken. That's trading in guns, not trading them out.

Last edited:

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Because Gunston has been s**t this year.

GC absolutely need a player like Gunston to ‘drive culture’ for the better of the club & for the AFL in general & if we land a couple of key targets Gunston doesn’t necessarily fit in a specific role as a forward pocket or an opportunistic half forward.

Everyone will jump up & down & claim the 3rd tall, not getting key defenders... blah blah blah.....
if that is what Gunston need to be a significant contributor then he doesn’t fit the mould moving forward.
If he is played he is played as a utility.
He is not a permanent forward anymore in Clarko’s structure, he isn’t an elite wingman & our defence seems pretty settled for the future outside a KPD.

Gunston is the obvious player of value to trade because he doesn’t look to have a secured position.
If you can see that or don’t want to.... you might want to take off the Hawthorn blinkers.

If I’m wrong & Gunston stays & is a great player moving forward I will gladly say I was wrong.
Until that Happens I can post pretty much anything in a hypothetical thread I like.
At least it’s not Breust eh....

Geez...🤦🏼‍♂️

Wingnut19

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
PhatHQ is 100% spot on, not sure the negativity re: trading Gunston, he has done zilch this year and i would argue were better with out him, like on friday night. If gunners yields 2MP and a first you do it every day of the week, id do Gunners before Bruest. Fact is we need to give up something to get something and i reckon Gunstons output has dipped significantly. He also used to be a deadeye dick in front of goal, now i get nervous when he's 15m out straight in front.

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
PhatHQ is 100% spot on, not sure the negativity re: trading Gunston, he has done zilch this year and i would argue were better with out him, like on friday night. If gunners yields 2MP and a first you do it every day of the week, id do Gunners before Bruest. Fact is we need to give up something to get something and i reckon Gunstons output has dipped significantly. He also used to be a deadeye dick in front of goal, now i get nervous when he's 15m out straight in front.
You can always tell the ones who play too much fantasy footy.

As Oscar Wilde said: “These days people know the price of everything and the value of nothing”.

Suggesting that we’re a better side without Gunston is the most ludicrous claim since the last moron said Adelaide were better without Dangerfield.

Wingnut19

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn

As Oscar Wilde said: “These days people know the price of everything and the value of nothing”.

Suggesting that we’re a better side without Gunston is the most ludicrous claim since the last moron said Adelaide were better without Dangerfield.
so your happy with how Gunston is going are you??

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We could possibly get a third rounder for a player like Cegsy too, which would make acquiring the required points a bit easier.

Being Cegs just wiped the floor with both GWS rucks and they need one badly, I reckon there's a reasonable chance he'll figure a little more valuably than a third rounder in our dealings with them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Being Cegs just wiped the floor with both GWS rucks and they need one badly, I reckon there's a reasonable chance he'll figure a little more valuably than a third rounder in our dealings with them.
Cegs is a free agent so we can’t trade him and from all the talk I’ve heard GWS Wong be looking to add any mediocre free agents so they don’t impact the compo their likely to get from losing Coniglio as a free agent. I think any Hawk fan knows how good Cegs could / would be for them.

Cegs is a free agent so we can’t trade him and from all the talk I’ve heard GWS Wong be looking to add any mediocre free agents so they don’t impact the compo their likely to get from losing Coniglio as a free agent. I think any Hawk fan knows how good Cegs could / would be for them.
He's only a FA if he exercises his right to Free Agency.

He can be traded - the same way any other player can be.

If GWS want him & they don't want to dilute their Compo Pick for losing Cogs then they just trade us for him, like they would/could any other player.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
we would wanna hope he has been.

He has been.

And besides, why trade him when his value is as a low point?

It would make more sense to trade O'Brien whilst he's coming off some impressive form. He won't ever be as good as Gunston, nor would he yield as much in return, but it would be a sell high situation.

On that note we are buying low with Patton .

Think of it this way...

Backline

IN: Scrimshaw, plus a mystery free agent key position defender = Sicily to freewheel

Midfield

IN: Mitchell, plus a Rabbit = O’Meara to freewheel

Forward-line

IN: Patton, plus Lewis transitioning to a more traditional centre half forward role next year = Gunston and Breust to freewheel

In other words expect Gunston, Breust, O’Meara and Sicily all to improve significantly next year. Makes us a 3-4 goal better side overall. That’s with Mitchell back.

Think of it this way...

Backline

IN: Scrimshaw, plus a mystery free agent key position defender = Sicily to freewheel

Midfield

IN: Mitchell, plus a Rabbit = O’Meara to freewheel

Forward-line

IN: Patton, plus Lewis playing a more transitioning to a more traditional centre half forward role = Gunston and Breust to freewheel
Interested to see/hear who this might be.

Cupboard is pretty bare for Free Agent KPD & that was before Sam Day re-signed at Gold Coast

Interested to see/hear who this might be.

Cupboard is pretty bare for Free Agent KPD & that was before Sam Day re-signed at Gold Coast

There’s options out there. I would be keen on Liam Jones. He would be perfect as the 2nd tall behind Frawley.

Hartigan (Adelaide)
Keath (Adelaide)
Jones (Carlton)
Henderson (Geelong)
Leslie (Gold Coast)
Frost (Melbourne)
Astbury (Richmond)

There’s options out there. I would be keen on Liam Jones. He would be perfect as the 2nd tall behind Frawley.

Hartigan (Adelaide)
Keath (Adelaide)
Jones (Carlton)
Henderson (Geelong)
Leslie (Gold Coast)
Frost (Melbourne)
Astbury (Richmond)
You sure they're all Free Agents?

Adelaide were better without Dangerfield, the same as we became a better side without Buddy. I will argue to the death with anyone that says otherwise. Reliance on a player exposes inherent weaknesses and uneven contribution. It cultivates a dependence on those players to lift you when you need to be lifted.

That logic doesn't apply to Gunston as he cultivates nowhere near the same reliance as a player as both Buddy and Dangerfield did for their respective sides.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Adelaide were better without Dangerfield, the same as we became a better side without Buddy. I will argue to the death with anyone that says otherwise. Reliance on a player exposes inherent weaknesses and uneven contribution. It cultivates a dependence on those players to lift you when you need to be lifted.

That logic doesn't apply to Gunston as he cultivates nowhere near the same reliance as a player as both Buddy and Dangerfield did for their respective sides.

We were not a better without Buddy on our list.

We were just a better team when he wasn't the over reliant main focal point - when he played further up the ground we were a better side.

We were not a better without Buddy on our list.

We were just a better team when he wasn't the over reliant main focal point - when he played further up the ground we were a better side.

We were better as a team, our list may have had an overall reduction in quality but the ability work as a team improved. We were better in 2014 and 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back