Prediction 2019 "Hypothetical Trade, FA, random player you wish we could get" thread..

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn landing?

• Patton

Votes: 164 71.0%
  • Finn Maginness

Votes: 198 85.7%
  • Greenwood

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • Frost

Votes: 111 48.1%
  • Bonar

Votes: 66 28.6%
  • Pepper

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Cox

Votes: 36 15.6%
  • Petracca

Votes: 77 33.3%
  • Elliot

Votes: 68 29.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
DCowboys, ManU, Celtics, Blackhawks
My completely uninformed view on what may happen this year:

Trade for Patton (GWS) and Will Brodie (gcs) for late picks

Trade for a forgotten developing tall from say freo, WC or northern clubs - maybe for a future 3rd pick

Pick up what we can from FAs to add depth to the 22 - Matt Buntine (gws), maybe Sam day? Others??

Use our 1 and 2nd picks on best available (Or father sons).

Expect a mini clean out again this year so wouldn’t be surprised if some fringe players are traded out for late picks.

Spoke to my best mate's son a couple of weeks ago at the Tassie U18 game, who played with Hugh Dixon in juniors at Kingston. Seems that Hugh could be on the move at the end of the season even though he is contracted until end of 2020. I won't repeat what I was told exactly, but will say that a move back closer to home, could be in his best interests.

Apparently 4 Melbourne based clubs have shown interest, and we are one.

Jul 2, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
Spoke to my best mate's son a couple of weeks ago at the Tassie U18 game, who played with Hugh Dixon in juniors at Kingston. Seems that Hugh could be on the move at the end of the season even though he is contracted until end of 2020. I won't repeat what I was told exactly, but will say that a move back closer to home, could be in his best interests.

Apparently 4 Melbourne based clubs have shown interest, and we are one.

I really like the look of this kid, would love for us to snag him from Freo.

Could we still snare a first rounder for Isaac Smith? Maybe from Melbourne who really need some outside speed...

Curious he was vice captain for 1 year (or 2), now gone from leadership group all together. Getting on in years and we have other wingers coming through. Ideally you keep Smith, but if you're keen on Cameron or other talent, could Smith be the one you let go for the right price? Something seems NQR at the moment with Smith

Wingnut19

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Could we still snare a first rounder for Isaac Smith? Maybe from Melbourne who really need some outside speed...

Curious he was vice captain for 1 year (or 2), now gone from leadership group all together. Getting on in years and we have other wingers coming through. Ideally you keep Smith, but if you're keen on Cameron or other talent, could Smith be the one you let go for the right price? Something seems NQR at the moment with Smith
Im all in for this. Doubt it though. Id be going after carltons pick from crows. They need some mature players.

Flamin Joe

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Glenelg, Norwood

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’m going to go a little crazy :)

Can we start a BB for Captain thread? If the Government can do it when the like surly a football club can say they got it wrong.
Ben McEvoy - Spiritual Leader

We need to trade out a couple of players & hit this FA period full steam.

We need the cash & we need the draft picks.
After today I’m convinced more than ever we need 2 quality mids & both kpd & kpf.

Our forward structure can carry #pattonisthetarget at FF, ruck in a pocket & Lewis at CHF IMO.
Breust, Wingard & HARLEY f%^*#^g BENNELL. Just do it! Throw caution to the wind & get it done.

Obviously Cogs it a high priority & desperately needed but what if he stays? What is plan b & c?

Trade for Brad Crouch & Jack Billings.

If we can get Mitchell & O’mera, Wingard & Scully we can sure as hell get Crouch & Billings.
You could get both for a similar price as Wingard. One could be a future first & change the other would be a player offload/s to acquire the collateral.
Both out of contract in 2020 anyway.

There is no reason we cant as we would be able to offer a sweet deal with decent cap space. We have a couple/few players of worth to other clubs & we have futures picks to play with.
If we had a decent midfield supply the above mentioned fwd line would be fine & we can still hit the draft.

So here goes...

#pattonisthetarget for a 3rd pick 2019

Billings for Gunston

Crouch for a future first & Second rd pick

Trade Smith for a second rd pick

Spursfan

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC

Nah not 1st round, he's 31 at the end of this year. Doing well to get a late 2nd rounder IMO.

I’m going to go a little crazy :)

Can we start a BB for Captain thread? If the Government can do it when the like surly a football club can say they got it wrong.
Ben McEvoy - Spiritual Leader

We need to trade out a couple of players & hit this FA period full steam.

We need the cash & we need the draft picks.
After today I’m convinced more than ever we need 2 quality mids & both kpd & kpf.

Our forward structure can carry #pattonisthetarget at FF, ruck in a pocket & Lewis at CHF IMO.
Breust, Wingard & HARLEY f%^*#^g BENNELL. Just do it! Throw caution to the wind & get it done.

Obviously Cogs it a high priority & desperately needed but what if he stays? What is plan b & c?

Trade for Brad Crouch & Jack Billings.

If we can get Mitchell & O’mera, Wingard & Scully we can sure as hell get Crouch & Billings.
You could get both for a similar price as Wingard. One could be a future first & change the other would be a player offload/s to acquire the collateral.
Both out of contract in 2020 anyway.

There is no reason we cant as we would be able to offer a sweet deal with decent cap space. We have a couple/few players of worth to other clubs & we have futures picks to play with.
If we had a decent midfield supply the above mentioned fwd line would be fine & we can still hit the draft.

So here goes...

#pattonisthetarget for a 3rd pick 2019

Billings for Gunston

Crouch for a future first & Second rd pick

Trade Smith for a second rd pick
Holy sh*t, you’re posting like we just lost 30x games in a row to Carlton!

2x Mids + KPF + KPD is correct.

The rest is craziness (except Bennell - he’s gonna be a jet for us)!

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Holy sh*t, you’re posting like we just lost 30x games in a row to Carlton!

2x Mids + KPF + KPD is correct.

The rest is craziness (except Bennell - he’s gonna be a jet for us)!

Yeah, a bit of a shits & giggles post.

I’ve been consistent about Crouch & think we should try & go there anyway. Inside bull that would partner Jom & Tom perfectly.

I don’t have anything but Cogs doesn’t leave GWS IMO.

Bennell at Hawthorn is the shits & a trade for Billings is the giggles I suppose.
Harley pre calf & drug issues is a top 10 player in the game.
Billings run & spread on the outside would be an upgrade on Morrison & Moore & would slot right in.

Whitfield is the target in waiting for 2020 btw :)

I’ll put it out there now though that we will trade someone like Gunston to get us back in the game.

By the time you take out Birch, Rough, Burgoyne, Smith & a Gunston that’s a lot of experience but also a lot of $$$ to make some serious moves.
It’s been done by Clarko before.

Only 1 is an A grade player in the 5 listed above going forward IMO & his game is off by a long way. Struggling to kick a drop punt that from previous years he would have nailed.
Haven’t been a fan of Smith for a while now & is someone we can replace.

Anyway, like I said... Shits & giggles mate.
If we keep performing the way we are these type of posts will on keep coming.

.... & I didn’t trade Breust! ;)

Are u kidding? Every day of the week and twice on a Tuesday.

Gunston is a proven and consistent performer. There is no chance Hawthorn will ever trade him unless it involves a super deal that benefits the club long term.

As for Billings he’s softer than Butter and wouldn’t improve the team. Not the type of player the Hawks need.

SuperSic

All Australian
Oct 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gunston, Poppy, Smith and even possibly Breust and Stratton would all be names on Graham Wright's whiteboard at the moment. It's hard to come to terms with it sometimes with these champions, but our club is ruthless in its pursuit of success and will do almost anything to get there. We will not die wondering.

Gunston, Poppy, Smith and even possibly Breust and Stratton would all be names on Graham Wright's whiteboard at the moment. It's hard to come to terms with it sometimes with these champions, but our club is ruthless in its pursuit of success and will do almost anything to get there. We will not die wondering.

Agree about Smith, Poppy and Stratts, but I don't see the point in trading guys like Gunston and Breust, who are coming into their prime age-bracket, only to replace them with kids.

The goal needs to be bringing in A-Grade talent to add to our current stock of A-grade talent, otherwise we'll simply tread water.

SuperSic

All Australian
Oct 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Agree about Smith, Poppy and Stratts, but I don't see the point in trading guys like Gunston and Breust, who are coming into their prime age-bracket, only to replace them with kids.

The goal needs to be bringing in A-Grade talent to add to our current stock of A-grade talent, otherwise we'll simply tread water.

I'm struggling with this one. I think Breust and Gunston are quality players who should be having huge contributions in the next few years, however Poppy, Smith and Stratts don't have very much trade currency and so it would likely result in trades similar to Sam Mitchell and Jordan Lewis where we are not compensated very well (although if we can keep snagging Mitch Lewis types then that would be perfect).

This is the only reason I can see us offloading players like Gunston and Breust, because they have a very high trade value. I can only see us doing it if it allows us to bring in some truly elite talent such as a top 2 pick (for Noah Anderson for instance) or for a top 10 midfielder or top 5 KPP. I think a trade like that could still be an upwards trade for us rather than a sideways trade which I agree is a risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back