Prediction 2019 "Hypothetical Trade, FA, random player you wish we could get" thread..

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn landing?

• Patton

Votes: 164 71.0%
  • Finn Maginness

Votes: 198 85.7%
  • Greenwood

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • Frost

Votes: 111 48.1%
  • Bonar

Votes: 66 28.6%
  • Pepper

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Cox

Votes: 36 15.6%
  • Petracca

Votes: 77 33.3%
  • Elliot

Votes: 68 29.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumps"N"Grins

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sell the team Dolan
Apologies...

“I’ve made it clear that I want to say in Adelaide and my intentions are to stay in Adelaide, but at this stage there hasn’t been any sit downs since January so it’s a bit of a different circumstance and hopefully things work themselves out.
“When we sat down in January everything was quite positive, they made it clear I was wanted and their intention was for me to stick around, spending a few weeks in the SANFL I don’t know if that had a huge impact or not, but I’m back in the team and I feel that when I’m playing my best footy I’m in the best 22.
“I’m not trying to make it a circus or anything, obviously when you spend time in the SANFL the first few weeks things float around and it’s a bit ‘what’s your plan?’, but we have made it clear we want to stay in Adelaide.
“But at the same time it’s getting to a stage where I’m 27, 28, so I’ve got to think about signing something long term and look at my career post-footy.
“Adelaide is a place we are happy, we love the footy club and ideally we finish here.”
Thanks man

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Greenwood out of contract - been waiting since Jan for a contract.

I rate him. But after last night, they'd be dumb not to sign him again.

I’m all for trying to secure Greenwood but not because of last nights performance. He was a total non-factor until he kicked the sealer.

Now putting all that aside he is a good contested ball winner and at the right price I’d love to have him but that is always the catch isn’t it?

In regards to Adelaide there’s already rumours floating about that IF Carlton finishes last that they will try to use the 1st pick in the draft to trade for Lukosis / Rankine.

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Has anyone here actually watched ben brown this year? The blokes a gun, kicked 5 against geelongs defense which has probably been the best in the league for years. He draws multiple defenders, draws free kicks. Probably is the best set shot in the league. Who gives a * if he isn’t rioli like with his defense. That’s the job that wingard, Breust, puopolo etc are supposed to be doing. Our first wouldn’t be enough to get him across, let alone a second. He’s a 60 goal a year forward in a shocking team full of butchers, imagine him in a decent team

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
People that think Brown would have made a huge difference this season are kidding themselves, he's a lead and mark merchant, those high balls we sky into our forward line aren't his strength, he'd have struggled much like Gunston has this season.
We would not be playing the same brand of footy if we had a legitimate gun key forward in the team.

Although the Brown talk is kind of a waste of time anyway because they would be stupid to consider trading him.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’m all for trying to secure Greenwood but not because of last nights performance. He was a total non-factor until he kicked the sealer.

Now putting all that aside he is a good contested ball winner and at the right price I’d love to have him but that is always the catch isn’t it?

In regards to Adelaide there’s already rumours floating about that IF Carlton finishes last that they will try to use the 1st pick in the draft to trade for Lukosis / Rankine.
So Rowell is off to the GC? Poor bloke.

TallyHawk

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2010
Bunbartha
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester City FC

Now that is interesting, perhaps we could trade our way to the pick that nets us Noah Anderson from Gold Coast.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Out of contract Crows midfielder/forward Hugh Greenwood says he is ready and willing to sign a new deal at West Lakes but is still waiting to hear anything official from the club.
The 27-year-old wants to stay in Adelaide and is happy at the Crows but says he would have liked to have secured his future before the mid-season bye which now looks unlikely.

Greenwood has played 44 games in three years after making the successful switch from professional basketball to football.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
We would not be playing the same brand of footy if we had a legitimate gun key forward in the team.

Although the Brown talk is kind of a waste of time anyway because they would be stupid to consider trading him.

Yeah I'm not so sure if our brand would be much different, even if we had Brown we'd still be 18th in clearances and have a bottom 4 midfield in the league.

Random thoughts ....
We loaded up last yr on picks for this yr for a reason .
Letting Smith go makes 100% sense to me ( comftable with a pick betweeen 30-50 and cap relief ) .. money ball situation . Scully trade has created that ...is on less , is younger AND we paid only in a slide of a few draft selections .

Cogs as RFA looking likely now I'm told .
Patton and Day affordable options.
There's a disgruntled Fwd who may become a DFA we will snap up .
Other names out there being thrown around but Iv nothing on them so I'll not comment

Trade out our 2nd Rdr , why ..... because I'd rather use it in a trade rather than use it to bid on Fin . The loading of picks is for fin and Pepper IMO .

The age profile of our list is changing in front of us as we speak yet the quality to do it remains high ( Mitchell , JOM , Chad, Scully , Scrimmers ) ....
the build is in full swing and it's got an ominous look about it .

JMO ..

Random thoughts ....
Letting Smith go makes 100% sense to me ( comftable with a pick betweeen 30-50 and cap relief ) .. money ball situation . Scully trade has created that ...is on less , is younger AND we paid only in a slide of a few draft selections .

Other names out there being thrown around but Iv nothing on them so I'll not comment

Trade out our 2nd Rdr , why ..... because I'd rather use it in a trade rather than use it to bid on Fin . The loading of picks is for fin and Pepper IMO .

The age profile of our list is changing in front of us as we speak yet the quality to do it remains high ( Mitchell , JOM , Chad, Scully , Scrimmers ) ....

JMO ..

Smith is one less bloke in that 30 year old bracket to worry about, and would get us a good pick.

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Random thoughts ....

JMO ..
Cheers HBD.

Is Day realistic? An article just dropped on the afl website where he says he wants to stay, but may be forced to consider his options. I want to see what happens to both he and Patton in our system.

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just caught up on this thread and I'd like to make a suggestion if I could.

When discussing a players trade worth in terms of draft picks can we forgo using the round itself and just give an estimate of the actual draft pick?

With the addition of GWS and GCS, and all the academy and FS selections floating around these days it's almost made valuing someone as "a first rounder" a waste of time. Especially considering it could encompass about 20 picks these days.

Instead, would it make more sense for everyone to just give an approximate pick?

It might be more likely to keep these conversations somewhat civil.

Using smith as an example, I see his value somewhere around pick 20-25. His age counts against him, but injuries aside he's still and elite player, with valuable leadership and cultural traits. It's not worth saying he's worth a first rounder because that just gives opposition supporters (and ours) who don't think hes worth pick 1-19 a reason to commence the customary pissing contest - which just gets annoying to read every season.

Just my two cents.

TallyHawk

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2010
Bunbartha
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester City FC
Random thoughts ....

JMO ..

This disgruntled key forward doesn't play for Freo by any chance HBD?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Random thoughts ....

JMO ..
Cogs likely? That's all I need ;)

Don’t have a replacement*. Won’t get value in the trade (although Trade for a player is a different proposition. Trading for a Pick around 25-30 is what I’m most objecting to).

The cap we’d clear would be handy, but not essential with Roughy & Schoey et al likely to leave.

Far better off extending him for 1x year (at least). Can clear the cap space when we’re ready to bring Whitfield in, like we did with Lewis & Mitchell (JO’M in & Tom Mitchell in).

Smitty has clearly been injured this season & shouldn’t have played a bunch of the games that he did (not his choice - we had nobody else). He played sore to cover the absence of Shiels & Burgoyne (early in the year), clearly to his own detriment. He’s played a more defensive/accountable game than Scully & posted better numbers to date, yet some people have been idiotic in their turning on him.

*For posters that will say “Hendo is in career best form...”:rolleyes:Yes, he is, but:
- Why not have 3x elite runners, 2x of which that can play across HB & 3x that can play HF;
- Hendo is almost 2x years older than Smitty;
- Imagine Hendo or Scully ever got injured - ever; &,
- Nobody mention Morrison.

Last edited:
Smith is one less bloke in that 30 year old bracket to worry about, and would get us a good pick.

If all parties were agreeable Smith to Dogs with a mid coming back, then pick swaps to adjust. Libba would suit us. Pure inside mid, likes to get his hands dirty and can tackle. Dogs have a glut of mids so this might suit both teams. Alternatively if they were looking for a ruck a mid could figure in discussions.
Would also consider Macrae, Bont or even Dunkley.

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Alright lads I thought I’d try my hand at one of these hypotheticals. Keep in mind the picks are not exact and within a rough range. The whole thing does revolve around us getting Cogs.

• (Free Agency) Stephen Coniglio
• (Free Agency) Sam Day

• 2020 First Round Selection —> (Richmond) Pick 13
• Pick 8 + Pick 13 + Roughead —> (Gold Coast) Pick 2 + Pick 52
• Pick 52 —> (GWS) Jonathon Patton
• Smith —> (Bulldogs) Pick 26
• Pick 26 + Pick 27 —> (Brisbane) Pick 19 + Pick 35
• Teia Miles —> (Geelong) Nakia Cockatoo

Ins:
- Coniglio
- Day
- Patton
- Cockatoo
- Pick 2 (Noah Anderson) - think DeGoey
- Pick 19 (Kysaiah Pickett) - think Daniel Rioli
- Pick 35 (Finn Maginness) - think Sewell
- Pick 48 (~Pick 60 after points) (Harrison Pepper) - think Impey
- Harrison Jones (elevated rookie)

Outs:
- Roughead (traded)
- Smith (traded)
- Miles (traded)
- Puopolo (retired/free agent)
- Birchall (retired)
- Ryan Schoenmakers (delisted)
- David Mirra (delisted)
- Darren Minchington (delisted)
- Connor Glass (redrafted as rookie)

B: Stratton Frawley Scrim
HB: Hardwick O’Brien Sicily
C: Scully Coniglio Henderson
HF: Impey Lewis Anderson
F: Breust Patton Wingard
Fol: McEvoy Mitchell O’Meara
Int: Sheils Gunston Worpel Burgoyne

Sep 3, 2009
Rosebery
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Random thoughts ....

JMO ..

Smith out makes sense to me.

He is a contracted player- so unlike other trades, there will need to be more fair value involved. And if bevo really believes he is one of the premier wingmen in the comp- as do many of us here- then the bulldogs second rounder would seem adequate.

That being said - we may use smith as a chip to trade higher up into the draft. So it’s not inconceivable to think that we may package a pick up with smith to get a higher pick.

If all parties were agreeable Smith to Dogs with a mid coming back, then pick swaps to adjust. Libba would suit us. Pure inside mid, likes to get his hands dirty and can tackle. Dogs have a glut of mids so this might suit both teams. Alternatively if they were looking for a ruck a mid could figure in discussions.
Would also consider Macrae, Bont or even Dunkley.
They are not trading Macrae, Bont or Dunkley....

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Alright lads I thought I’d try my hand at one of these hypotheticals. Keep in mind the picks are not exact and within a rough range. The whole thing does revolve around us getting Cogs.

• (Free Agency) Stephen Coniglio
• (Free Agency) Sam Day

• 2020 First Round Selection —> (Richmond) Pick 13
• Pick 8 + Pick 13 + Roughead —> (Gold Coast) Pick 2 + Pick 52
• Pick 52 —> (GWS) Jonathon Patton
• Smith —> (Bulldogs) Pick 26
• Pick 26 + Pick 27 —> (Brisbane) Pick 19 + Pick 35
• Teia Miles —> (Geelong) Nakia Cockatoo

Ins:
- Coniglio
- Day
- Patton
- Cockatoo
- Pick 2 (Noah Anderson) - think DeGoey
- Pick 19 (Kysaiah Pickett) - think Daniel Rioli
- Pick 35 (Finn Maginness) - think Sewell
- Pick 48 (~Pick 60 after points) (Harrison Pepper) - think Impey
- Harrison Jones (elevated rookie)

Outs:
- Roughead (traded)
- Smith (traded)
- Miles (traded)
- Puopolo (retired/free agent)
- Birchall (retired)
- Ryan Schoenmakers (delisted)
- David Mirra (delisted)
- Darren Minchington (delisted)
- Connor Glass (redrafted as rookie)

B: Stratton Frawley Scrim
HB: Hardwick O’Brien Sicily
C: Scully Coniglio Henderson
HF: Impey Lewis Anderson
F: Breust Patton Wingard
Fol: McEvoy Mitchell O’Meara
Int: Sheils Gunston Worpel Burgoyne

Even with all his injury problems I couldn't imagine the Cats entertaining that trade for longer than 10 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back