Prediction 2019 "Hypothetical Trade, FA, random player you wish we could get" thread..

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn landing?

• Patton

Votes: 164 71.0%
  • Finn Maginness

Votes: 198 85.7%
  • Greenwood

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • Frost

Votes: 111 48.1%
  • Bonar

Votes: 66 28.6%
  • Pepper

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Cox

Votes: 36 15.6%
  • Petracca

Votes: 77 33.3%
  • Elliot

Votes: 68 29.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using pick 4 or 5 and potentially another top 10 pick next season for a 2 pick upgrade? Jeez i know he is extremely highly rated and has ties to Hawthorn but that is a huge price to pay for what is just another kid.

Yep. Exactly the type of player that would improve our midfield.
Big bodied, booming kick and kicks goals. Would immediately improve us.

Yep. Exactly the type of player that would improve our midfield.
Big bodied, booming kick and kicks goals. Would immediately improve us.
And if he is a bust? Or just a good solid player?

To put in to perspective that is the sort of price that elite midfielders that are established in the game go for. That is way overs for an unknown quantity. Tim Kelly will almost certainly not even cost that much and he is one of the best mids in the comp.

Hold the picks and take the best available, but if we are going to be giving up that sort of haul it would want to be an established superstar.

And if he is a bust? Or just a good solid player?

To put in to perspective that is the sort of price that elite midfielders that are established in the game go for. That is way overs for an unknown quantity. Tim Kelly will almost certainly not even cost that much and he is one of the best mids in the comp.

Hold the picks and take the best available, but if we are going to be giving up that sort of haul it would want to be an established superstar.

Everyone wants a quick rebuild. Doing this sort of thing would work in our favour in that regard. Bringing in clear upgrades on what we already have.
Obviously this is just a hypothetical and my opinion but I think he’d be worth the risk while also bolstering the side with the other deals I mentioned.

If we kept Burton and our first last year, we might have be in a position to trade for Whitfield.

The club still may, but with every FA miss, with every draft that we give up, the risk gets greater.

Personally, without key position talent we are pushing uphill. Lynch was a bigger miss than any in recent memory.

Big decisions for our club.

Just my two cents but the idea of getting Whitfield at the cost of two first rounders and Breust (or thereabouts) does not get me exited one bit, especially when we could get him a year later for nothing. No doubt the club knows more than me, but I’m having a time swallowing some of these strategies.. in Clarko we trust I guess!

Dependent on Coniglio decision I’m not totally opposed to us hitting the next 2-3 drafts. If becomes the case then this would be the season we should pull the plug early and play the kids before Tom comes back next year. This years pick needs to as close to that top 5 as possible so we can trade for Anderson.

I'm also on that wavelength of thinking, but I'll admit does make the Wingard trade 12 months earlier look like an absolute travesty, almost half a direction change.

Don’t want to give up 2 first rounders for anyone. Especially a half back flanker, like Whitfield,even though he is a gun. As others have stated aswell, we are going no where by having to trade out top picks all the time. We need some freebies. Would love to Get Marshall from Port. Get Fogarty from Crows and Cogs as free agent. Then we will get around pick 5 in this draft, we then trade a big name player to improve that pick high enough to get Noah Anderson and Get Finn. That would be a great off season. Get Whitfield next year for nothing. We need some quality hard as f**k midfielders with leadership.

I present to you... one James Worpel

(O'meara goes alright as well)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm also on that wavelength of thinking, but I'll admit does make the Wingard trade 12 months earlier look like an absolute travesty, almost half a direction change.
It’s really hard to judge the Wingard trade because he hasn’t been able to stay on the park as of yet and more importantly we haven’t seen him play in the same team as Mitchell. I mean things wouldn’t seem as shitbas they are now if Mitchell never got hurt and Wingard was playing. Everything just seems so bad atm because we’ve lost 2 games either side of a bye.

If both those guys are on the park this season without getting hurt then I easily see us in the top 6-8. I think everyone needs to think about how much bad luck we’ve had which has made things seem dire. Chin up peeps 🤙🏽

Just a thought....

If Kennett were to finish up this year does that open the door for a return of Rioli?

Absolutely speculative comments here but if there were “racial” comments made by Jeff, unknowingly, that were completely unpalatable & forced Cyril’s hand with his wife & family to come first & leave that environment.

I don’t think Cyril has said that he will never play for Hawthorn again but he has said that if he did return it would only be to Hawthorn.

I pose the question then, would you prefer a strong yet eccentric president who has had a major gaff of late or the return of a favourite son who may not ever be the player he was or could have been.
Hypothetically speaking of course.

Personally, I’d be thanking Jeff for his service & making that call

Hawthorn will not wait a year in the hope Whitfield comes as a free agent if we believe we can strike now. A year is a lifetime in footy and things change all the time.

We have a stack of players who are on big money and currently under performing. Clarko will not let that roll on and nor should he. You earn a few freebies when you win flags but that eventually drys up.

Get yourselves ready. Burton was the example last year and Rough so far this year just how ruthless we are prepared to be.

Burton was a 21 year old kid in his second season. It's just ridiculous to think he was a) this finished product, or b) beyond any attitude adjustment needed. If not, our clubs not as strong as I thought it was.

All of a sudden, we bring in the most un-Hawthorn like 'star', and the following year are your actually suggest Bruest or Gunston could be offered up? Maybe some on here will be happy, but that will just about ******* end me.

So, Whitfield and McGuinness over
Cognilio and Anderson?
Plus out goes a first round pick and a Hawk star of some sorts. Or a future first instead?
Clarko WANTS Whitfield this year not next. Plenty bubbling away it seems.

Hawthorn will not wait a year in the hope Whitfield comes as a free agent if we believe we can strike now. A year is a lifetime in footy and things change all the time.

We have a stack of players who are on big money and currently under performing. Clarko will not let that roll on and nor should he. You earn a few freebies when you win flags but that eventually drys up.

Get yourselves ready. Burton was the example last year and Rough so far this year just how ruthless we are prepared to be.

If we trade players so be it just hope it’s not draft picks as we need to draft good kids in also. We can’t just draft kids in the 80’s and expect a flag.

Burton was a 21 year old kid in his second season. It's just ridiculous to think he was a) this finished product, or b) beyond any attitude adjustment needed. If not, our clubs not as strong as I thought it was.

All of a sudden, we bring in the most un-Hawthorn like 'star', and the following year are your actually suggest Bruest or Gunston could be offered up? Maybe some on here will be happy, but that will just about ******* end me.

Time to let go of the Burton trade I reckon. I'm very optimistic Scrimshaw will cover him

Times are moving on from the days sitting back with the same players for 10+years and falling in love with them.

Clarko and co travel to Europe and the USA all the time where free agency and player transfers dominate.

It is going to increase more and more.

Ryan Burton vs Wingard... hold your fire.

I still believe Wingard will be a superstar for us and bring people through the gates.

Times are moving on from the days sitting back with the same players for 10+years and falling in love with them.

Clarko and co travel to Europe and the USA all the time where free agency and player transfers dominate.

It is going to increase more and more.

Ryan Burton vs Wingard... hold your fire.

I still believe Wingard will be a superstar for us and bring people through the gates.

Perhaps you are right mate. But what we value in Australian culture is very different to America. For every move the AFL industry makes towards how things are done in the US, it leads to frustration amongst plenty of fans. Perhaps this is less pronounced amongst Gen Y and later.

I understand your perspective, and appreciate your intel, but something doesn't sit personally right with me treating players with such ruthlessness, like a commodity. Particularly those that have given so much to us and mean so much to fans.

We are the family club, we have asked so many premiership starts to sacrifice for the club, and now, if what you are suggesting eventuates, we will have showed no loyalty when it was the clubs turn. We become a total hypocrite.

In the future, would you want to play for a club who has continually showed a lack of loyalty to their players? Gone would be the days of getting blokes for unders in this model.

In the US and EPL, it's not just about going to the big clubs for success, these clubs are the ones offering the greatest pay day. If your culture doesn't suggest loyalty and security, and in an equalisation model such as the AFL success fluctuates, you will need to attract players because of a payday. Their reward would need to meet the risk of potentially being punted whenever it suited the club

Anyhow, it's an interesting trade period ahead. One trade aside, I've always trusted those in charge to make the right calls, so I will again whatever the outcome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back