Prediction 2019 "Hypothetical Trade, FA, random player you wish we could get" thread..

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn landing?

• Patton

Votes: 164 71.0%
  • Finn Maginness

Votes: 198 85.7%
  • Greenwood

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • Frost

Votes: 111 48.1%
  • Bonar

Votes: 66 28.6%
  • Pepper

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Cox

Votes: 36 15.6%
  • Petracca

Votes: 77 33.3%
  • Elliot

Votes: 68 29.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ok I have the context now. If people think the AFL and Gil don’t have ways and means to influence outcomes they are amazingly naive. And if such practice was exposed it indeed would be a SCANDAL.. So it may not have occurred in this case.....drama avoided. Just ask any of the the senior journos and senior list managers they are awaiting an incident. When the AFL effectively owns two Franchises, conflict of interest is utterly inevitable.
It's actually f&$king disgusting and a blight on our game. But that's all I'll say because the usual suspects are just waiting to post photos of tin foil hats. :cool:

PKNF

Senior List
Sep 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Remind me how many years it took us to play finals? And these pricks want a #1 pick after struggling for 8?

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd hate to see GCS get more early picks for reasons clear to everyone.

Instead give them another 3-5 primary list spots like they had during their inception and decent extra cap space.

Give them a few extra picks in the 25-30 range or access to more state league players Make them make better decisions. Instead of getting them to pick the eyes out of the best talent, give them a chance to go for genuine leaders looking for a chance at the level. Who are the best, most talented ones in the VFL, SANFL etc?

Give them a bigger cap to spend on footy as well. Force them to beef up their fitness/medical team so they stop butchering players bodies and can better develop the guys they do have.

I think they need concessions, I just think high picks are a waste of time for them unless they can only trade them for players and let them pay huge overs financially.

If only we could have sent Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis and possibly Roughead etc to GC instead, we could have got a bunch of 2nd rounders for them instead of peanuts.

With Adelaide looking likely to use their Carlton pick our chances of somehow moving in to the top #2 would increase if GCS are given the priority pick.

Especially if the AFL are insisting on them using it to trade for a senior player.

That was my thinking exactly. I actually think it plays out in our favor if they get a priority pick.

I’m still not convinced we’re going to get much better than pick 6 anyway (and if we get 6, we better trade it!!!).

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
I'd hate to see GCS get more early picks for reasons clear to everyone.

Instead give them another 3-5 primary list spots like they had during their inception and decent extra cap space.

Give them a few extra picks in the 25-30 range or access to more state league players Make them make better decisions. Instead of getting them to pick the eyes out of the best talent, give them a chance to go for genuine leaders looking for a chance at the level. Who are the best, most talented ones in the VFL, SANFL etc?

Give them a bigger cap to spend on footy as well. Force them to beef up their fitness/medical team so they stop butchering players bodies and can better develop the guys they do have.

I think they need concessions, I just think high picks are a waste of time for them unless they can only trade them for players and let them pay huge overs financially.

If only we could have sent Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis and possibly Roughead etc to GC instead, we could have got a bunch of 2nd rounders for them instead of peanuts.

Hey with one of those peanuts we managed to draft Mitch Lewis 🤷‍♂️

Gary Ablett ruined Gold Coast.

He got what he needed from the team, a Brownlow, some juicy deals, but he did nothing to set the club up for success. He wasn't able to take a back seat and allow for other players to develop.

If it had been Hodge and not Ablett that went up to the Gold Coast, Gold Coast would not be in the quagmire they're in now and I'm convinced of that. What convinces me more is that Geelong were able to win a premiership after he departed.

Ablett is a superstar player, don't get me wrong, but he's not the heart and soul of any footy club. He's the cream.

Aug 23, 2009
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gary Ablett ruined Gold Coast.

He got what he needed from the team, a Brownlow, some juicy deals, but he did nothing to set the club up for success. He wasn't able to take a back seat and allow for other players to develop.

If it had been Hodge and not Ablett that went up to the Gold Coast, Gold Coast would not be in the quagmire they're in now and I'm convinced of that. What convinces me more is that Geelong were able to win a premiership after he departed.

Ablett is a superstar player, don't get me wrong, but he's not the heart and soul of any footy club. He's the cream.

Couldn't agree more with this.. You only have to look at where the Lions are at now as proof

All of this can change, but....

Hawthorn trade: Isaac Smith, Pick 6 and Pick 24
Melbourne trade: Pick 3, 21, and 39.

Hawthorn move up 3 spots in the draft on each of their 1st and 2nd picks, and gain a 3rd rounder.

Thoughts?

eldorado
It gets us better than we’re at now so it’s good, but I’d prefer a 2nd Top 10 Pick this year than to trade out to upgrade our 1st from 6 to 3 etc.

ASSUMING WE’RE GETTING COGS & knowing that we get Mitchell, Wingard, Skrillex & hopefully Patton into the side next year & maybe Birchall, our 2020 Draft Position is going to be 14-18ish.

Given that, I reckon we’re better off trying to trade out that 2020 1st Rounder now, whilst silly clubs still think it’ll be around Pick 6-12.

Should he be interested in securing a 3yr deal somewhere (for example) then I’d want to see us packaging Smitty plus Picks (probs the 2020 1st) for a 2019 1st, better than Pick 10.

Trading up the first round pick could include a quiet guarantee not to draft that clubs targetted player(s) - and to not chase after them down the track ;)
We would be mad to make long term promises not to chase particular players in the future.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
It gets us better than we’re at now so it’s good, but I’d prefer a 2nd Top 10 Pick this year than to trade out to upgrade our 1st from 6 to 3 etc.

ASSUMING WE’RE GETTING COGS & knowing that we get Mitchell, Wingard, Skrillex & hopefully Patton into the side next year & maybe Birchall, our 2020 Draft Position is going to be 14-18ish.

Given that, I reckon we’re better off trying to trade out that 2020 1st Rounder now, whilst silly clubs still think it’ll be around Pick 6-12.

Should he be interested in securing a 3yr deal somewhere (for example) then I’d want to see us packaging Smitty plus Picks (probs the 2020 1st) for a 2019 1st, better than Pick 10.

I like your thinking but I don't think clubs are as stupid as the media. They would very well know the Hawks will be right back in the mix next season especially if Coniglio signs on. Where 2 games out of the top 8 and that's without our best player in Tom Mitchell. You NEVER bet against the HFC.

I like your thinking but I don't think clubs are as stupid as the media. They would very well know the Hawks will be right back in the mix next season especially if Coniglio signs on. Where 2 games out of the top 8 and that's without our best player in Tom Mitchell. You NEVER bet against the HFC.
It isn’t a straight up gamble involving pitting current ladder position against assumed future ladder position. You have to take into account self interest.

I.e. Take Melbourne or Footscray as examples. They both lack on-field leadership & reportedly see someone like Smitty as being a way to import that, as well as getting an A Grade Wingman in the process.

They’d no doubt see the addition of Smitty as an immediate positive - more so than they’d get on-field from a 2019 1st Rounder - & themselves moving up the ladder next year. This would give them more assets next season, probably more important to them as tradable assets as opposed to simply Draft order. Neither side is looking for more high picks or young talent & they’d likely want to trade Raffle Tickets (Draft Picks) more so than young, talented players to get them that shot at the title.

We’re the opposite in that we’d likely want 2x young, talented players now more than we’d want 1x this year & 1x next year.

Ordinarily, as a mod, I would frown upon a poster calling another poster a numpty...

So I'm taking my mod hat off for a while whilst thoroughly enjoying your post.
I do apologise the moment got the better of me and I know I should resort to that kind of behavior , it's just that......

Yeah definitely worth a look IMO.

Hard not to think he'd be a better player by leaving Carlton and avoiding the limelight that his surname brings.
No. The guy is a spud who wouldn't have got drafted without the surname

Just as one strategy I'd heard the club may go down pending where our pick falls has us tied in very closely to GWS this trade period - even more than has been already speculated.

GWS are likely to have 3 first round picks at the end of the free agency periods, two they already own and one compensation pick from Coniglio should he leave. Word is that GWS would like an earlier pick in order to get talent in front of a bid for Green, and should our pick be early enough, we would be looking to use that pick in order to secure two first rounders further down the order from GWS. Could also potentially factor into a Patton move, but that's purely my speculation off the info I was given.

Have you heard similar Topiary?

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Just as one strategy I'd heard the club may go down pending where our pick falls has us tied in very closely to GWS this trade period - even more than has been already speculated.

GWS are likely to have 3 first round picks at the end of the free agency periods, two they already own and one compensation pick from Coniglio should he leave. Word is that GWS would like an earlier pick in order to get talent in front of a bid for Green, and should our pick be early enough, we would be looking to use that pick in order to secure two first rounders further down the order from GWS. Could also potentially factor into a Patton move, but that's purely my speculation off the info I was given.

Are you saying something like:

GWS get:
Hawks 1st rounder (currently pick 6)

Hawks get:
GWS 1st rounder (currently pick 14)
GWS compo 1st rounder (currently pick 15)
Patton
Coniglio

GWS then uses pick 6 to draft Green and also have pick 10. Hawks get to sign Coniglio to a deal around 1m per season, get Patton and also have to late 1st round picks.

If this is what you meant then I guess it is doable but my concern is GWS might want a little more but you never know they might be happy with getting Green and keeping the other pick (currently pick 10).

Books

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2005
On the Stairway to Heaven
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NZ All-Blacks
Just for future reference, Noah Anderson is projected by a lot of analysts to be no. 1 this year - and he rightfully should be.

I currently have him there (with Rowell at 2 and Green at 3, but that's a whole other can of worms)

So if, and it's a BIG if in my books, we were really keen on taking Noah then it will take some extreme maneuvering try trade up for him. Gold Coast will not relinquish pick 1 easily (they're asking for a priority pick ffs) and Adelaide will more than likely try and package pick 2 and a few players for one of Gold Coasts' SA boys from last years draft.

The point of this post is that although we might indeed take a first rounder this year - trading up for Noah Anderson is wishful thinking at this point. It's just not feasible.

Fair points, but there is always a chance.

Say Adelaide trade pick 2 and steak knives for Lukosius. Then GC have picks 1 (Rowell) and 2 (Anderson).

GC needs experience, leadership and outside run. Allow me to introduce Isaac Smith.

Our pick 6 plus Omith for pick 2 and a 3rd rounder (extra points for Maginess / Pepper) is not impossible.

Let the dreamers dream.

Topiary

Premium Platinum
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Yes. Refer to my post in the FA THREAD last night in collaboration of Tyler Durden

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Are you saying something like:

GWS get:
Hawks 1st rounder (currently pick 6)

Hawks get:
GWS 1st rounder (currently pick 14)
GWS compo 1st rounder (currently pick 15)
Patton
Coniglio

GWS then uses pick 6 to draft Green and also have pick 10. Hawks get to sign Coniglio to a deal around 1m per season, get Patton and also have to late 1st round picks.

If this is what you meant then I guess it is doable but my concern is GWS might want a little more but you never know they might be happy with getting Green and keeping the other pick (currently pick 10).

That would be ******* gold, use two 1st round picks and land Coniglio, then we'd go into next off season with our 2020 and 2021 1st round picks in play, not sure GWS would be that accommodating though, unless they really really rate this kid in their academy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back