Prediction 2019 "Hypothetical Trade, FA, random player you wish we could get" thread..

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn landing?

• Patton

Votes: 164 71.0%
  • Finn Maginness

Votes: 198 85.7%
  • Greenwood

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • Frost

Votes: 111 48.1%
  • Bonar

Votes: 66 28.6%
  • Pepper

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Cox

Votes: 36 15.6%
  • Petracca

Votes: 77 33.3%
  • Elliot

Votes: 68 29.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If maginess gets bid on late first round then that counts as us using another first, even though we are actually using a combination of seconds and thirds to match. Would be great to get another pick in before he is bid on though. But being able to satisfy the two firsts rule, means we are able to trade out of the first rounds for the next couple of years, which I think we would like the flexibility it provides. So getting a bid on maginess at 18 would be a better outcome for us than a bid at 21

Feb 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
DCowboys, ManU, Celtics, Blackhawks
Are you saying something like:

GWS get:
Hawks 1st rounder (currently pick 6)

Hawks get:
GWS 1st rounder (currently pick 14)
GWS compo 1st rounder (currently pick 15)
Patton
Coniglio

GWS then uses pick 6 to draft Green and also have pick 10. Hawks get to sign Coniglio to a deal around 1m per season, get Patton and also have to late 1st round picks.

If this is what you meant then I guess it is doable but my concern is GWS might want a little more but you never know they might be happy with getting Green and keeping the other pick (currently pick 10).

My take from rogiebear93 post is that GWS would like a pick early enough to draft someone else, other than Green, before Green is bid on.

So, they draft someone at 6, then a bid is placed on Green at Pick 7, means they need to use Pick 10 and change on Green. That way they get Green, plus another quality kid early in the draft.

By all accounts Pick 6 may not be early enough for this to work, as some have Green at around Pick 3 now don't they?

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My take from rogiebear93 post is that GWS would like a pick early enough to draft someone else, other than Green, before Green is bid on.

So, they draft someone at 6, then a bid is placed on Green at Pick 7, means they need to use Pick 10 and change on Green. That way they get Green, plus another quality kid early in the draft.

By all accounts Pick 6 may not be early enough for this to work, as some have Green at around Pick 3 now don't they?
Amazingly he's rocketed up to 3 on some draft orders.

That's why I said pending on the season's outcome. If we keep winning, which we probably will, it might not happen.

Feb 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
DCowboys, ManU, Celtics, Blackhawks
Amazingly he's rocketed up to 3 on some draft orders.

So, to assure them of a Pick before a bid on Green, they would need Pick 1 or 2. Not going to be easy.

Perhaps the thinking for GWS is to trade in Pick 5/6, so that can be used to match the Green Pick, and then select another kid with their existing Pick 10.

Example: If Green is bid on at pick 3. Pick 3 is worth 2,234 points, so they would need 1,676 points to match. If we trade them Pick 6 (1,751 points) they can use that to secure Green with 75 points to spare. Do the 'extra' 75 points carried over then move their Pick 10 (1,395 + 75 = 1,470) to Pick 9 (1,469), as they would then have 1,470 points and Pick 9 is valued at 1,469?

TallyHawk

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2010
Bunbartha
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester City FC
That would be ******* gold, use two 1st round picks and land Coniglio, then we'd go into next off season with our 2020 and 2021 1st round picks in play, not sure GWS would be that accommodating though, unless they really really rate this kid in their academy.

They may then demand those 1st round picks for Whitfield next year.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So, to assure them of a Pick before a bid on Green, they would need Pick 1 or 2. Not going to be easy.

Perhaps the thinking for GWS is to trade in Pick 5/6, so that can be used to match the Green Pick, and then select another kid with their existing Pick 10.

Example: If Green is bid on at pick 3. Pick 3 is worth 2,234 points, so they would need 1,676 points to match. If we trade them Pick 6 (1,751 points) they can use that to secure Green with 75 points to spare. Do the 'extra' 75 points carried over then move their Pick 10 (1,395 + 75 = 1,470) to Pick 9 (1,469), as they would then have 1,470 points and Pick 9 is valued at 1,469?
If Melbourne finish 3rd last they won’t use pick 3 on him. Their whole team is big bodied cp winning mids. That’s the last thing they need. But he could go any pick after that. Saints might have a crack at him. Hell I wouldn’t mind the hawks putting a bid in. We are bottom 3/4 in both clearances and cp and this kid is elite at both

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets

GWS get:

Hawks get:
Patton
Coniglio

GWS then uses pick 6 to draft Green and also have pick 10. Hawks get to sign Coniglio to a deal around 1m per season, get Patton and also have to late 1st round picks.

If this is what you meant then I guess it is doable but my concern is GWS might want a little more but you never know they might be happy with getting Green and keeping the other pick (currently pick 10).

I'd do that every single day of the week without hesitation. Even if they want further picks too - provided we are able to still package enough picks together for Finn.

That would be ******* gold, use two 1st round picks and land Coniglio, then we'd go into next off season with our 2020 and 2021 1st round picks in play, not sure GWS would be that accommodating though, unless they really really rate this kid in their academy.
Let’s do all that and then get Day and Ellis in as FA’s as well..... #winning

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Let’s do all that and then get Day and Ellis in as FA’s as well..... #winning
That's what I love about FAs, who cares, it's just cap space. Heck I'd even throw S Hill a line right after i delisted Schoey.

It's so easy to move cap money around when you're carrying as much dead wood on the list as we are.

Topiary

Premium Platinum
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Remember GWS get a salary dump

Topiary

Premium Platinum
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn

He is highly, highly rated both internally and externally, in fact it has been suggested to me we might bid.

hfc70

Premiership Player
Mar 9, 2007
Somewhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn

GWS get:

Hawks get:
Patton
Coniglio

There is no way I would entertain the above suggestion.
GWS would use Pick 6 on a player other than Green, then draft Green later on using multiple picks (even going into deficit if need be)
Why would we drop down the draft for RFA & a player that is relatively expensive (plus coming off 3 ACLs)
Maybe I’m missreading the tea leaves but I think GW/MMc can come up with something better than that.

Happy to be corrected by more educated peeps

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There is no way I would entertain the above suggestion.
GWS would use Pick 6 on a player other than Green, then draft Green later on using multiple picks (even going into deficit if need be)
Why would we drop down the draft for RFA & a player that is relatively expensive (plus coming off 3 ACLs)
Maybe I’m missreading the tea leaves but I think GW/MMc can come up with something better than that.

Happy to be corrected by more educated peeps
I think so too mate.
GWS will start somewhere here though.

We're gonna start with wanting to get Cogs for free, Patton with a 4th and keep our pick 6 or 7.

It'll end up somewhere in the middle.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
I think so too mate.
GWS will start somewhere here though.

We're gonna start with wanting to get Cogs for free, Patton with a 4th and keep our pick 6 or 7.

It'll end up somewhere in the middle.

I wasn’t saying I’d do it but just trying to find out what rogiebear93 was suggesting. If GWS played hardball with Coniglio and threatened to match then I’d consider doing it to keep any deal we offered Coniglio within reason. Just imagine if they threaten to match so we’d have to ridiculously overpay him.

I agree that we’ll try and get him for free and go from there as we should.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I wasn’t saying I’d do it but just trying to find out what rogiebear93 was suggesting. If GWS played hardball with Coniglio and threatened to match then I’d consider doing it to keep any deal we offered Coniglio within reason. Just imagine if they threaten to match so we’d have to ridiculously overpay him.

I agree that we’ll try and get him for free and go from there as we should.
Re Cogs, I reckon we'd be more likely to front load the contract than give up assets. Having said that, a side deal will be on the cards. Hopefully it's not too painful.

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So we trade back pick 6* with GWS for pick 14-15 & Patton.

Draft pick 14 or trade back to gws with a future first for Whitfield

Pick 15 goes to Freo for B.Hill

Maginnis on points, hopefully as a first rd bid

Late draft Gem in the 5th rd

Land Cogs

Rookie H.Bennell

In -
Patton
B.Hill
Cogs
Whitfield
Maginnis
Draft pick
Bennell* Rookie

#pattonisthetarget

Last edited:
Re Cogs, I reckon we'd be more likely to front load the contract than give up assets. Having said that, a side deal will be on the cards. Hopefully it's not too painful.
The side deal need not be painful as in this case it isn't just a sweetener for stealing Cogs. The side deal in this case is Win-Win, as we'd be taking Patton & clearing his $600k-$800k from their books.

The sweetener for losing Cogs doesn't need to be that we flick them our 1st, it could well be that we clear $600k-$800k for them.

To a side with as many 1st Round Picks as they've had & another 3x to use this year (theirs, Scum's & Compo), clearing that money would be worth as much/more as a 4th 1st Rounder. There's only 22 guys playing each week. Frankly, what are they gonna do with another 4x 1st Round Picks/Players that they can't do with the 50-odd they've already had????

The side deal could well end up being Jon Ceglar - he'd be worth more to them than another 18yr old Alpha wanting to make his way amongst 30 other Alphas...

So we trade back pick 6* with GWS for pick 14-15 & Patton.

Draft pick 14 or trade back to gws with a future first for Whitfield

Pick 15 goes to Freo for B.Hill

Maginnis on points, hopefully as a first rd bid

Late draft Gem in the 5th rd

Land Cogs

Rookie H.Bennell

In -
Patton
B.Hill
Cogs
Whitfield
Maginnis