Prediction 2019 "Hypothetical Trade, FA, random player you wish we could get" thread..

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn landing?

• Patton

Votes: 164 71.0%
  • Finn Maginness

Votes: 198 85.7%
  • Greenwood

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • Frost

Votes: 111 48.1%
  • Bonar

Votes: 66 28.6%
  • Pepper

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Cox

Votes: 36 15.6%
  • Petracca

Votes: 77 33.3%
  • Elliot

Votes: 68 29.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) We preferred to play one solo ruck this year with O’Brien/Lewis giving chopouts in the ruck
2) In the last two games of the year we played Ceglar as #1 ruck and moved McEvoy to the backline
3) We signed Ceglar for 3 years suggesting we intend to play him as the solo ruck
4) McEvoy is too good a player to be out of the side

All this could suggest multiple things:

1) We genuinely believe McEvoy is capable as a defender and intend to utilise him to wrestle the strong KPFs
2) McEvoy has signalled that he is going to retire next year so we have decided to give Ceglar greater opportunity
3) We are putting McEvoy on the table for a suitable deal
4) We are going to return to playing two ruckmen with one resting forward

Or, we're going to trade Cegs where he wanted a three-year deal and the other club wanted us to take some of his salary. I particularly like this idea because it hasn't been done yet and will get the media again talking about what a list ninja GW is.

I’m thinking a Big Boy trade would only make sense to GWS. They’re in the window and need a ruckman
It will be for a first rounder, preferably Essendon pick as we need another pick before Finns bid. Even throw in pick 25 with Mcevoy so they can use that plus their first rounder to get the points for Green.

or

For One of Halloran/Bonar/Hill/Caldwell

You can get flights Melbourne to Albury also. Silly point is silly.
Even more silly when you consider that he bought a couple of hundred acres near Stawell.

Smart move if ceglar was signed just to add trade value. Could be part of a trade to get a third round pick plus walker and one of cox/Robertson.
Plenty of delisted back up Ruckmen running around too.

Nice to see some posters actually thinking outside the square with Ceglar's re-signing.

HFC is one shrewd operator.

As Tops mentioned, Cegs re-signing gives us options rather than him simply remaining a FA with deals on the table from other clubs.

Has there ever been a sign-and-trade deal in the AFL?

There are so many things I'd be interested to see AFL clubs try. If you're a club that has a decent amount of cap space, but an Unrestricted Free Agent set to leave for barely anything and you need to bring in a pick? Simply get the manager to agree to sign that player, talk to the destination club and say "We'll trade you this bloke for a pick AND pay part of his salary for the next year or two".

You're essentially trading cap space for extra picks and resources at the table. Everyone wins.

Player gets where he wants to go.
Destination club doesn't take as much of a hit salary wise.
Departing club gets more in return for the player than they would have otherwise.

wow, sorry i just checked and to my surprise you are right :)
88 games over 8 season suggest a fringe or injury restricted player.
Was always fringe at GWS as expected being a young KPP, then got injured first year at Melbourne & played the majority of games since. Plus this year has easily been his best form & looked really good.

Definitely not a straight swap for Gunston but he will definitely be a valuable, relatively cheap pickup for us if we do get him.

Richmond did no side deals. Players they wanted to delist went to the Gold Coast on seperate deals not a player of Big Boys status.

Richmond did no side deals. Players they wanted to delist went to the Gold Coast on seperate deals not a player of Big Boys status.
Put this on the hypothetical instead of the other for a reason...

I am not going to even bother to explain.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

As of tonight may not be the pretext of

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mutual understanding. Pay him a fraction more to stay unless we find a home he’s happy with and we’re happy with trade.
perhaps, but why for 3 years then? If he wants game time, then he's tempting fate.

I can see the mischevious logic about signing him to then trade him, but I'm not sure thats the intention. Curious nevertheless

perhaps, but why for 3 years then? If he wants game time, then he's tempting fate.

I can see the mischevious logic about signing him to then trade him, but I'm not sure thats the intention. Curious nevertheless

A done deal perhaps? Hands have been shaken, etc, now it just needs to wait for trade week to open so it can execute.

Also, you don't give up your FA leverage by signing a deal like this, you have used it. Perhaps the club he wants to get to cannot afford him but another club can. Sign the deal and he gets whatever he's looking for club and comp-wise and the clubs do as well.

This is all purely speculation, obviously, but just because it hasn't been done before doesn't mean it's not going to happen. GW is the King, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back