Prediction 2019 "Hypothetical Trade, FA, random player you wish we could get" thread..

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn landing?

• Patton

Votes: 164 71.0%
  • Finn Maginness

Votes: 198 85.7%
  • Greenwood

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • Frost

Votes: 111 48.1%
  • Bonar

Votes: 66 28.6%
  • Pepper

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Cox

Votes: 36 15.6%
  • Petracca

Votes: 77 33.3%
  • Elliot

Votes: 68 29.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah not happening.. essentially taking away all powers of decision. BB is up for trade
Unless his decision was already made & agreed with the new Club such that all 3 parties agree on the trade to come

All of sudden McEvoy plays the last 2 games in defence when he was dominating in the ruck. Ceglar signs a 3 year deal. It seemed bizarre at the time.

A few months ago one of the posters on this board suggested that the club maybe looking to get another pick inside the top 30 in this years draft?

McEvoy has a slightly higher market value than Smith, is one year younger and a better player right now and would net us more in return.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Has there ever been a sign-and-trade deal in the AFL?

There are so many things I'd be interested to see AFL clubs try. If you're a club that has a decent amount of cap space, but an Unrestricted Free Agent set to leave for barely anything and you need to bring in a pick? Simply get the manager to agree to sign that player, talk to the destination club and say "We'll trade you this bloke for a pick AND pay part of his salary for the next year or two".

You're essentially trading cap space for extra picks and resources at the table. Everyone wins.

Player gets where he wants to go.
Destination club doesn't take as much of a hit salary wise.
Departing club gets more in return for the player than they would have otherwise.

You categorically cannot sign and trade a player if they don't want that

I'm leaning more to our lack of talls at the moment and bigboy being the only proven consistent quality tall.
Theres arguably little cover for Frawley even though there seem to be a dozen defensive options for other positions

Why would you trade out a player who saved your bacon several times during the previous season (Bigboy)

Platten44

All Australian
Aug 5, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
All of sudden McEvoy plays the last 2 games in defence when he was dominating in the ruck. Ceglsr signs a 3 year deal. Somethings up...

A few months ago one of the posters on this board suggested that the club maybe looking to get another pick inside the top 30 in this years draft. “Pound for pound” McEvoy has a slightly higher market value than Smith. Is one year younger and a better player right now McEvoy would net us more in return.
McEvoy dislocated his thumb and found it hard to clinch his fist for hit outs - found it easier to mark and really wanted to play in Roughy's last game - when it worked in the backline Clarko thought West Coast was the perfect team to try it again - he is going nowhere - sneaky chance to be the next Captain, but more likely VC

McEvoy dislocated his thumb and found it hard to clinch his fist for hit outs - found it easier to mark and really wanted to play in Roughy's last game - when it worked in the backline Clarko thought West Coast was the perfect team to try it again - he is going nowhere - sneaky chance to be the next Captain, but more likely VC
wouldn't think he's in the right age bracket for next captain, especially with the abundance of young leaders we already have

You categorically cannot sign and trade a player if they don't want that

I'm leaning more to our lack of talls at the moment and bigboy being the only proven consistent quality tall.
Theres arguably little cover for Frawley even though there seem to be a dozen defensive options for other positions

Why would you trade out a player who saved your bacon several times during the previous season (Bigboy)

I understand that, but if the player was going to get to his destination via Free Agency I'm saying that it's something the player could do for the club out of goodwill.

I'm not talking about it in terms of Big Boy, I'm just asking a general question. It would be a good way to get around UFA status whilst getting more reasonable compensation.

charliecodpiece

Debutant
Oct 7, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sydney look to be heavily in to Daniher which would give them a very tall forward line and great coverage for Buddy, but I wonder if that might squeeze out Tom McCartin.

He’s very young but has shown some promising signs of developing into a great target. With his marking ability could play either end potentially?

Sydney look to be heavily in to Daniher which would give them a very tall forward line and great coverage for Buddy, but I wonder if that might squeeze out Tom McCartin.

He’s very young but has shown some promising signs of developing into a great target. With his marking ability could play either end potentially?
McCartin is a jet and they rightfully rate him very highly.

I'd say the recruitment of Daniher would say more about Buddy's longevity than pushing out TMac

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
I was told Whitfield is signed sealed delivered (to Hawthorn). FWIW I think it's just fanboy speculation
Don't believe at all. Based on what we saw with th AFL, they won't want that to happen and sports sponsorships and ambassadorial payments will come in, in full swing !!

I was told Whitfield is signed sealed delivered (to Hawthorn). FWIW I think it's just fanboy speculation

Would who you heard it from be privy to this kind of information??

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Maybe we’re playing games. Ie trade cegs and pay some of his salary as well (now that he’s contracted) to get a better trade outcome. Think we tried to do this previously with GWS and afl blocked it.

Although it could be as simple as we have two afl quality rucks and we want to keep them as BB won’t last forever.
In this scenario maybe we’ve resigned Cegs and then we trade him straight up for Patton but neither team pays the out going players salary 🤷🏽‍♂️

Ceglar isn’t guaranteed to through a season without getting injured and consistency has always been his downfall.

Trading out McEvoy isn’t a good move unless he wants out. At best it will net us a mid-late 2nd round pick.

If there are no teams willing to give up a 2nd round pick in this years or next years draft then we are better off keeping Smith
instead.

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This scenario ran through my mind too. I also thought we’d do the same with Burgoyne.

Yeah, me, too, re: Burgers. But the GCS don't face the same money pressures that other teams (theoretically) do. Our ability to absorb some payroll doesn't appeal to GCS the same as it does to GilWS, which is where I still suspect this ruck talk is going. So if Burgers does end up going to GCS (contrary to rumour here) then I bet it will be a plain old FA for nuttin'.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Surely if you were going to trade Ceglar rather than lose him via FA you would only sign him on a 1 year deal. 3 years seems way too long for just adding trade value.
That would depend on what the team that is willing to trade for him is willing to give him salary / years wise. For example if GW has spoken to Brisbane’s list manager and he’s said sign him to x amount of years and pay part of his salary then we’ll give you player or pick x.

Hawkan

Rookie
Sep 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Surely Ruck is just about the only position on the ground the Suns aren't completely useless at? Witts would be one of the Suns best players so i would be surprised if the Suns were willing to go hard for him.

Probably more about leadership than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back