2019 West Indies vs India (3 T20s, 3 ODIs, 2 Tests)

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
12.30am AEST tonight. First of a 3-match series in Florida and Guyana.

One of the things Virat Kohli spoke about in his press conference before leaving India was the opportunity the cricket calendar - with three forms of the game - afforded in getting over defeats that sting. India have had almost a month to lick their wounds after the loss against New Zealand in the World Cup 2019 semi-final. Now, with the World Test Championship getting underway and the T20 World Cup in 14 months, there are already fresh challenges to prepare for.

Their tour of the Caribbean begins with the three-match T20I series, with the first two matches in Lauderhill. The last time these teams played at Lauderhill, one match was rained out, and the other ended in a thrilling manner, with West Indies winning by just one run. Three years on, the current series forms an interesting clash of cricketing ethos. While India have often brought an ODI approach to 20-overs cricket, West Indies played large tracts of the World Cup as if in T20 mode.

These games could be the first ones in which each team begins putting together pieces for the T20 World Cup next year. India have an influx of younger players, with some changes enforced by absence and injury. West Indies are without Chris Gayle, whose international future even in the medium term seems uncertain at best. That could be a blessing, because it will allows West Indies to try out a replacement, keeping the T20 World Cup in mind.

[...]

India have some new faces in the squad, but there's still an abundance of options who are most at home batting in the top three. Regular openers Rohit and Shikhar Dhawan are back together with Dhawan having recovered from his broken finger, and there's Kohli. In addition, they have KL Rahul, Shreyas Iyer and Manish Pandey. At least two of those three seem certain to bat out of position, which can be a distinct contrast in a 20-overs game. The wristspinning duo of Yuzvendra Chahal and Kuldeep Yadav have been rested, which should give the team management the option to try a number of exciting options.

India XI (probable): 1 Rohit Sharma, 2 Shikhar Dhawan, 3 Virat Kohli (capt), 4 KL Rahul, 5 Manish Pandey/Shreyas Iyer, 6 Rishabh Pant (wk), 7 Ravindra Jadeja, 8 Deepak Chahar/Navdeep Saini, 9 Bhuvneshwar Kumar, 10 Khaleel Ahmed, 11 Rahul Chahar

Andre Russell was expected to be one of the players igniting West Indies' World Cup campaign, but the only things that flared up were his knees. He has since had surgery and was named in the T20I squad, subject to a fitness test. On the eve of the first T20I, Cricket West Indies said the allrounder experienced some discomfort during the GLT20 Canada, and has been replaced by Jason Mohammed. Even without Russell, captain Carlos Brathwaite has plenty of power - hitting and bowling - at his disposal.

West Indies XI (probable): 1 John Campbell, 2 Evin Lewis, 3 Nicholas Pooran (wk), 4 Shimron Hetmyer, 5 Kieron Pollard, 6 Rovman Powell, 7 Carlos Brathwaite (capt), 8 Sunil Narine, 9 Khary Pierre, 10 Sheldon Cottrell, 11 Keemo Paul/Oshane Thomas

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
India A's comeback win against West Indies A was more impressive. Dube looks an exciting prospect, an exciting left handed hitter + seam up bowler. Hope he turns out atleast half as good as Stokes is as an all rounder.

Blue Arrow

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The Renegades, Vics
Not a great pitch to show case cricket for new fans, usually low scores there in the CPL as well.

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Shubman Gill became the youngest batsman to score a double century for any representative Indian team with 204 runs off 250 balls against West Indies A yesterday. He also became the youngest batsman to score a double century outside India at 19 years of age.

He came in while India A were 19/3 in their second innings in a low scoring match uptil then and then proceeded to hit a quick century off 110 odd balls. The kid is special and should be fast tracked to the Indian team like Prithvi Shaw. He is the best out of all upcoming young Indian batsmen including Shaw.

DamoESP

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Stars
Looks like Chris Gayle just retired after the way he celebrated and left the field then after his knock.

What a player and what a way to go out. Played his last innings on his terms

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

IKnowtheDog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Will be interesting to see how the Windies now go considering the start and both openers back in the pavilion

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Looks like Chris Gayle just retired after the way he celebrated and left the field then after his knock.

What a player and what a way to go out. Played his last innings on his terms

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Played his whole career on his terms. What an obscenely good eye he had, no modern day batsman would be more intimidating.

Wolfs

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 10, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies, Hertha Berlin
So red ball cricket tomorrow. Windies use the Dukes, so it will be interesting to see who India has opening, and in the middle order with Kohli.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
So red ball cricket tomorrow. Windies use the Dukes, so it will be interesting to see who India has opening, and in the middle order with Kohli.

Best approach for us I’m certain. The one area we can compete or better India in is our pace attack and some of their top order uncertainty so the dukes ball will hopefully help.

I’m not going to make a stupid prediction like ‘we will win the series’ but I think we are capable of winning a match.

Wolfs

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 10, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies, Hertha Berlin
Best approach for us I’m certain. The one area we can compete or better India in is our pace attack and some of their top order uncertainty so the dukes ball will hopefully help.

I’m not going to make a stupid prediction like ‘we will win the series’ but I think we are capable of winning a match.

Considering India don't know their lineup minus Kohli, and Pujara. I wouldn't be surprised if India lost the series.

Back