2019 India vs South Africa (3 T20Is, 3 Tests)

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The scary thing is of the 54 wickets they've lost on this tour 25 have been to pace. So it's not even like its just the spin they are struggling against. Yadav has 10 wkts @ 11.7 and Shami has 13 @ 14.5.

I don't have foxtel, so this is a great surprise to me. When did South Africa become Zimbabwe? Very concerning for test cricket. I expected them to at least put up a fight in the last one. They salvaged their pride at the WC by thrashing us. I expected a similar fight in this test, but no. They're just not good enough anymore. They sound genuinely bad.

As corbies said what will really worry them is that the decks aren't that tough for their batsman or bowlers they even had bounce as well for the quicks yet the Indian quicks were vastly superior while the sa top order struggled vs pace.

As Smith said they felt stitched up in 2015 by rank turners this was just a team being clearly outgunned in all departments on pitches sa should have been happy to get.

Has to also be said India are clearly the best side right now, very deep batting and quality quicks and spinners they no longer need rank turners to roll people at home.

Looking at some of the most disastrous bowling performances in a series and this ranks pretty highly.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...w=bowl;template=results;type=team;view=series

25 wickets in a 3 test series is not an all time low, but there's only 3 teams that have gone beneath 23 without losing significant amount of cricket to rain:

Bangladesh 16 wickets in 3 tests (all innings defeats) against Sri Lanka in 2007.
New Zealand also 16 wicktes in 3 tests against South Africa 1998/99 (1 loss, 2 draws - 1 slightly rain affected, 1 heavily rain affected).
West Indies took 12 wickets in the series against Australia in 2015/16 although the last test in Sydney was more or less a washout.

For South Africa this has been an incredibly similar series to what Australia endured in Pakistan in 1982. 3 heavy losses (9 wkts, 9wkts, inns + 3 runs for Aus), took roughly 8 wickets per test and you'd say only slightly better with the bat.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/scores/series/16974/australia-in-pakistan-test-series-1982-83

Remove this Banner Ad

Back