Injury 2019 Injuries

Is it that they weren't/aren't so bad after all and our luck has just changed? Or is it as BHS suggests, that after a review following some pretty dire years, we have improved our personnel/systems, which has resulted in a healthier injury list?
Were they really the same people? Will take your word on that one. However, I think you'll find that most of the criticisms about our assistant coaches were that 1) we hadn't got new ones in with new ideas in a while, and 2) the ones we had had been (in their opinion) needlessly shuffled and 'played out of position'. Argument could be made that they've finally learnt their new roles, hence why performance is better, leading to fewer complaints.
As opposed to the constant reference to authority and not asking questions, because we're all just plebs, the club is obviously always right and can never improve on anything? Surely there is a balance to be had?
These are all legit questions.

Regarding the injury review - yes it's theoretically possible that we were doing things really badly and that the internal review has resulted in this being corrected so we have suddenly had a good run with injuries. And all of this without a word of it being leaked in a notoriously leak-prone sport. You can tell I think that's pretty unlikely, although I also have little doubt that at least some minor changes would have been made as a result of the review. That's pretty normal. Golden_6 made a valid point regarding Richmond and Collingwood - have they suddenly become really bad at managing the physical condition of their players? More likely they have been subject to the same bad luck we've had for 2-3 years.

The assistant coaches issue is a bit more debatable. I have been one who has had concerns. However the only thing we know for sure is that at least 99% of us are just guessing - and in some cases joining dots that are unrelated. Once again there's always room for improvement but it's a bit rich for us to sit back and say the club has got it totally wrong and the fix is so obvious that we can see it from here behind our keyboards, while they can't.

There have been some cases where the club has got it totally wrong - the Brendan McCartney contract extension comes to mind. The early critics of the club and BMac got it absolutely right. It doesn't happen often but it does show why it's legit to be able to air grievances about the club.

It's the nature of conspiracy theory - like any good delusion - that they can always adapt to a factual refutation by altering the narrative to suit the circumstances. I love a good conspiracy theory but generally it's only as a bit of fun with just a slight edge to it (eg my occasional rants about the AFL). The adaptability of conspiracy theories mean that they are zombies and can never be quite killed off - Hitler is still alive and living in Argentina, the whole man-on-the-moon project in 1969 was an elaborate hoax by NASA, Harold Holt was abducted by a Russian sub, the CIA organised the twin towers tragedy, global warming is a fraud perpetrated by scientists so they can get more funding, etc etc.

tl;dr ....

Balanced scepticism is a healthy thing and it's fine to question the club on how it goes about its business. However it needs to be done with commonsense, a bit of perspective and some respect for those who spend their whole working life inside the club and the footy industry. They might not always get it right but they know a lot more about it than most of us are ever likely to.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
As opposed to the constant reference to authority and not asking questions, because we're all just plebs, the club is obviously always right and can never improve on anything? Surely there is a balance to be had?
Of course there is. However asking questions is different to having a go at the club. This is the part that some clearly don't get.

I'd say luck is the most significant factor. Tigers and Pies have some of the biggest injury lists this year and I'd say they are probably employing the best (or the most expensive at least).

Pies employed Bill Davoren if I’m not mistaken. I think his “apprentice” is now in charge. No coincidence they are struggling.

Luck is overrated.

These are all legit questions.

Regarding the injury review - yes it's theoretically possible that we were doing things really badly and that the internal review has resulted in this being corrected so we have suddenly had a good run with injuries. And all of this without a word of it being leaked in a notoriously leak-prone sport. You can tell I think that's pretty unlikely, although I also have little doubt that at least some minor changes would have been made as a result of the review. That's pretty normal. Golden_6 made a valid point regarding Richmond and Collingwood - have they suddenly become really bad at managing the physical condition of their players? More likely they have been subject to the same bad luck we've had for 2-3 years.

The assistant coaches issue is a bit more debatable. I have been one who has had concerns. However the only thing we know for sure is that at least 99% of us are just guessing - and in some cases joining dots that are unrelated. Once again there's always room for improvement but it's a bit rich for us to sit back and say the club has got it totally wrong and the fix is so obvious that we can see it from here behind our keyboards, while they can't.

There have been some cases where the club has got it totally wrong - the Brendan McCartney contract extension comes to mind. The early critics of the club and BMac got it absolutely right. It doesn't happen often but it does show why it's legit to be able to air grievances about the club.

It's the nature of conspiracy theory - like any good delusion - that they can always adapt to a factual refutation by altering the narrative to suit the circumstances. I love a good conspiracy theory but generally it's only as a bit of fun with just a slight edge to it (eg my occasional rants about the AFL). The adaptability of conspiracy theories mean that they are zombies and can never be quite killed off - Hitler is still alive and living in Argentina, the whole man-on-the-moon project in 1969 was an elaborate hoax by NASA, Harold Holt was abducted by a Russian sub, the CIA organised the twin towers tragedy, global warming is a fraud perpetrated by scientists so they can get more funding, etc etc.

tl;dr ....

Balanced scepticism is a healthy thing and it's fine to question the club on how it goes about its business. However it needs to be done with commonsense, a bit of perspective and some respect for those who spend their whole working life inside the club and the footy industry. They might not always get it right but they know a lot more about it than most of us are ever likely to.
2 things here.
Last year we actively removed from the list many of our injury prone/ permanently injured players. Redpath and Clay Smith for example. Even Picken, as much as we all loved him. Makes a difference not having perennially injured players on the list.
Second, i believe Joel Corey took over in the midfield again late last year and it is no coincidence our midfield contested possession has gone back to 2016 levels. Another argument for the right person in the right position?

One conspiracy theory that seems to have faded is that the hard docklands surface is responsible for injuries. That one was popular for a while and I half expected it to be given another airing when we got a few foot fractures.

2 things here.
Second, i believe Joel Corey took over in the midfield again late last year and it is no coincidence our midfield contested possession has gone back to 2016 levels. Another argument for the right person in the right position?
Why do you say it's no coincidence? And do the stats actually back that up? I haven't seen any comparative CP stats over the last four seasons but it'd be interesting reading.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong but when you say it's "no coincidence" you seem to have ruled out other factors like the overall lower injury rate, the return of Libba from his LTI, the maturing of Dunkley into a CP beast (he was only a teenager in 2016), the emergence of Bailey Smith and so on.

As for right person for the right job, that's the ideal, but it's been pointed out by the club on a few occasions that for their career development the coaches need to be given different assignments, not necessarily the same speciality year after year. As an employer we have an obligation to develop them on their career path at the same time as we hope to get a premiership performance from the whole side. So it's a balancing act. That aspect doesn't get much of an airing here but it might explain some coaching rotations that have otherwise seemed unfathomable to us.

I doubt that the line coaches operate totally within their own silos anyway - there would be some collaborative stuff going on, surely?

Why do you say it's no coincidence? And do the stats actually back that up? I haven't seen any comparative CP stats over the last four seasons but it'd be interesting reading.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong but when you say it's "no coincidence" you seem to have ruled out other factors like the overall lower injury rate, the return of Libba from his LTI, the maturing of Dunkley into a CP beast (he was only a teenager in 2016), the emergence of Bailey Smith and so on.

As for right person for the right job, that's the ideal, but it's been pointed out by the club on a few occasions that for their career development the coaches need to be given different assignments, not necessarily the same speciality year after year. As an employer we have an obligation to develop them on their career path at the same time as we hope to get a premiership performance from the whole side. So it's a balancing act. That aspect doesn't get much of an airing here but it might explain some coaching rotations that have otherwise seemed unfathomable to us.

I doubt that the line coaches operate totally within their own silos anyway - there would be some collaborative stuff going on, surely?
Stop being so logical.:p
You are right of course, made some good points. I probably should have added in my opinion to my post.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Libba set to miss at least another week, being managed conservatively

Caleb is out for 6-8 weeks, which means we probably won't see him again this year :(

For the record:

PlayerInjury Duration
Tim Englishillnessavailable
Billy Gowersillnessavailable
Lin Jonghamstring1-2 weeks
Ryan Gardnerknee1-2 weeks
Caleb Danielhamstring5-7 weeks
Tom Liberatorekneeindefinite
Mitch Wallisankleindefinite
Fergus Greeneshoulderseason
Dale Morriskneeseason

* Injury list updated on Tuesday 20 August, 2019

FWIW, Bevo confirmed today that Wallis won't be playing again this year but I think we all knew that.

Hard to see how Daniel isn't out for the season as well, since he's listed as 5-7 weeks. I guess there's a slight chance he could be fit for the GF but it'd be a brave move to bring him in on such a light preparation if we got that far.

dogspur

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For the record:

PlayerInjury Duration
Tim Englishillnessavailable
Billy Gowersillnessavailable
Lin Jonghamstring1-2 weeks
Ryan Gardnerknee1-2 weeks
Caleb Danielhamstring5-7 weeks
Tom Liberatorekneeindefinite
Mitch Wallisankleindefinite
Fergus Greeneshoulderseason
Dale Morriskneeseason

* Injury list updated on Tuesday 20 August, 2019

FWIW, Bevo confirmed today that Wallis won't be playing again this year but I think we all knew that.

Hard to see how Daniel isn't out for the season as well, since he's listed as 5-7 weeks. I guess there's a slight chance he could be fit for the GF but it'd be a brave move to bring him in on such a light preparation if we got that far.
The real mystery is Tom Liberatore listed as indefinite.

Is it possible he's damaged his ACL again?

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics

Could be anyone from Bontempelli to Zaine Cordy.

Any ideas?

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
View attachment 731790

Could be anyone from Bontempelli to Zaine Cordy.

Any ideas?
So it’s either McLean, Wood, Macrae, Bontempelli, Johannisen, Dunkley, Cordy, Hunter or Dickson.

After the article saying that Wood will play every game for the first time ever, I’m guessing it’s not him. Hopefully it’s not one of Bont, Macrae or Dunkley.

Back