Injury 2019 Injuries

Remove this Banner Ad

We don't know that. According to some he is currently in the highest paid years of his contract.
You're right, no one seems to know. Was being intentionally conservative. But a couple of articles, one from your mate, suggest it was heavily front loaded. Regardless, he'd be on a much higher than average salary but has been producing below average performances. Trying to reserve judgement til mid season.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-22/official-afl-releases-list-of-2018-free-agents
https://www.triplem.com.au/story/damian-barrett-reveals-tom-boyds-extraordinary-2016-salary-23904

Boyd obviously has back problems.
Doesn't want to end up with permanent
Damage l imagine.
When will we finally have some luck with injuries.
Now Jong and Khanis.

So bloody frustrating, just as we thought maybe we can turn the corner & get a bit of luck. Only good thing is that neither are outright best 22 players with everyone else fit

Keep it in perspective. We have nothing to complain about compared to Collingwood, Carlton, Melbourne etc.
We currently only have one genuine best 22 player injured and it’s minor and might not even see him miss a game.
Win Jong not best 22, massive setback for our new KPF and former Ruck stalwart. We have key match ups early
in the season against Carlton and Gold Coast and Win has proven pivotal when we win.

Stupid to let Picken play on. Said this month's ago. Harsh but this tough decision had to be made last yeah. Even if he plays again 1 knock he is done for, or he doesn't play like Picken usually does

Stupid to let Picken play on. Said this month's ago. Harsh but this tough decision had to be made last yeah. Even if he plays again 1 knock he is done for, or he doesn't play like Picken usually does

It’s his decision at the end of the day isn’t it? Surely we have done our due dilegnence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahhh... yes, it obviously should be his decision

if it obviously has to be his decision then everyone else should be treated the same way.

Players need to be protected against themselves in regards to concussion and then there is the decision to put the club and future first.

there are three scenarios here..
1. Picken comes out and plays the style he normally does
2. Picken plays but not to the standard we know in terms of courage and going hard
3. Picken gets a knock to the head and doesn't play again

I really hope its #1 but if i was putting likely %'s against those i don't like the odds of it. I'm really worried for him that #3 would occur again

Jong out for 8-10 weeks with a hamstring tear
Khamis out for 6-8 weeks with a pcl strain

So is this just luck of the draw or is there something that needs to be done with our strength and conditioning section? If it is just luck of the draw we have had a bad run for a long time now.(The pessimist in me assumes that this is not the end of our injury run for 2019)

Current injury worries:
T. Boyd, Picken, Johannisen, Jong, Khamis

Of the group above, their respective return to action dates are:

Unknown, Unknown, Round 1-2, Round 6-8, Round 4-6

Lets hope the first three are able to get fit and healthy to contribute strongly this season. They were the three best players on October 1, 2016, so I am praying to my effigy of Stuart Wigney that they are nursed back to optimum health.

if it obviously has to be his decision then everyone else should be treated the same way.

Players need to be protected against themselves in regards to concussion and then there is the decision to put the club and future first.

there are three scenarios here..
1. Picken comes out and plays the style he normally does
2. Picken plays but not to the standard we know in terms of courage and going hard
3. Picken gets a knock to the head and doesn't play again

I really hope its #1 but if i was putting likely %'s against those i don't like the odds of it. I'm really worried for him that #3 would occur again

I must admit, I had never had a serious concussion or head injury until last weekend. Until it happens to you, you literally have zero insight on just how it feels.

I’ve had injuries and it’s frustrating but they’re minor compared to the headaches, confusion, dizziness, self doubt and vision impairment involved with head injuries. That s**t is no joke.

I’ve been struggling with it this week, doctors say it should pass. I cannot imagine what Liam has had to go through over such an extended period!

I already held him in such high regard, I was just unaware of just how tough he is in trying to get back to it after what has obviously been an awful period of his life.

It becomes more frequent too - like breaking a seal. Once you have had one the second concussion appears to come along so much more easily. I have had 10-12. A Brumbies mate of mine is around the 16 mark and his scans show permanent brain damage.

Fairly sure my posting quality (or lack of) will deteriorate dramatically in the seasons to come which could be quite interesting/amusing to be honest.

It becomes more frequent too - like breaking a seal. Once you have had one the second concussion appears to come along so much more easily. I have had 10-12. A Brumbies mate of mine is around the 16 mark and his scans show permanent brain damage.

Fairly sure my posting quality (or lack of) will deteriorate dramatically in the seasons to come which could be quite interesting/amusing to be honest.
Jesus Christ, how are you and your friend still functioning?!

I had an extremely bad one as a teenager (out cold for around 30 minutes) and have had multiple head knocks since, but I can't imagine what it's like to be in the teens - CTE could become a serious concern for guys like your friend and Picken later in their lives :/

Current injury worries:
T. Boyd, Picken, Johannisen, Jong, Khamis

Of the group above, their respective return to action dates are:

Unknown, Unknown, Round 1-2, Round 6-8, Round 4-6

Lets hope the first three are able to get fit and healthy to contribute strongly this season. They were the three best players on October 1, 2016, so I am praying to my effigy of Stuart Wigney that they are nursed back to optimum health.

you can add Webb, put him in the unknown category. He's ended up a bit of a fringe player but that's another senior list spot on ice.

What are/were you doing to get so many concussions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back