Injury 2019 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Caldwell the perfect replacement. If they can get him in there he could have a J Selwood-esque debut year in a September push.
Exposed evidence says Hately is more ready, hoping to see both plus Bonar and O'Halloran get games this year, because they've pushed someone out, not through injury

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Caldwell the perfect replacement. If they can get him in there he could have a J Selwood-esque debut year in a September push.
Like you, I would love to see Caldwell in, and agree that he'd be a great complement to the team. I'm just not sure he's quite ready with his body, and while it frustrates us all, probably better to be conservative with him until we're sure where he's at. At this stage I'd be satisfied with Hately getting a shot to see what he can show.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
So the headline for the week is that Ward will miss the rest of the season unfortunately and hopefully his rehab goes well and it is a long road back for him and it will be interesting to see how he spends his time out of rehab after last year with Williams coaching the NEAFL if Ward does something similar as well as obviously spending time with the seniors, I can see a few media things for him but he isnt big on that from what i have seen
The other news is Greene will miss this week and sounds like the club is being extra cautious with him but if he comes straight back into a derby it will be an intense game and at the SCG with a rumoured bad pitch but that is next weeks conversation
Hill will play his first game for the club in the NEAFL so good luck to the kid and hopefully he plays well
Sounds as if D Buckley and Cumming will be right to play this week after minor issues from the NEAFL game and dates have been added for Perryman 4 weeks
I think it will be a couple of weeks before we see an update on Patton but hopefully he is looking to be on track for a comeback after the bye
Nothing on Caldwell which to me indicates he will be another week away and again I think it is the club being cautious with him and for a first year player I would rather he builds up the right strength and fitness for his future

https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2019-04-16/rehab-report-round-5

Toby Greene Calf 1 week
Zac Langdon Foot 1 week
Brett Deledio Calf 2-3 weeks
Tommy Sheridan Calf 4 weeks
Harry Perryman Lung 4 weeks
Jon Patton Knee TBC
Callan Ward Knee Season

So the headline for the week is that Ward will miss the rest of the season unfortunately and hopefully his rehab goes well and it is a long road back for him and it will be interesting to see how he spends his time out of rehab after last year with Williams coaching the NEAFL if Ward does something similar as well as obviously spending time with the seniors, I can see a few media things for him but he isnt big on that from what i have seen
The other news is Greene will miss this week and sounds like the club is being extra cautious with him but if he comes straight back into a derby it will be an intense game and at the SCG with a rumoured bad pitch but that is next weeks conversation
Hill will play his first game for the club in the NEAFL so good luck to the kid and hopefully he plays well
Sounds as if D Buckley and Cumming will be right to play this week after minor issues from the NEAFL game and dates have been added for Perryman 4 weeks
I think it will be a couple of weeks before we see an update on Patton but hopefully he is looking to be on track for a comeback after the bye
Nothing on Caldwell which to me indicates he will be another week away and again I think it is the club being cautious with him and for a first year player I would rather he builds up the right strength and fitness for his future

https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2019-04-16/rehab-report-round-5

Toby Greene Calf 1 week
Zac Langdon Foot 1 week
Brett Deledio Calf 2-3 weeks
Harry Perryman Lung 4 weeks
Jon Patton Knee TBC
Callan Ward Knee Season
I believe Leon's presser had him statimg that Jye was building a body of work, that Xavier was also only 2 games in and that they were a little bit off senior selection

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I believe Leon's presser had him statimg that Jye was building a body of work, that Xavier was also only 2 games in and that they were a little bit off senior selection

My comments on Caldwell are more for him playing NEAFL as I would imagine he would need a solid block of 4 games to put his hand up for senior selection, I would need to see O'Halloran play to get an idea of where he would fit for selection at senior level and always interesting to track the development of the younger players

Thank Christ it's just a roll at least. That was my guess watching it, having done the same often enough, but it so easily could've been so much worse.

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Whether Davis plays or not this weekend, very glad he has been cleared of structural damage. Looked horrible. Haynes will play a big role helping intercepting kicks to Buddy and whoever takes Buddy will need to try to defend on his right to force him to lead towards the boundary on his non-preferred side. Also good news with Greene likely to come in, but wonder who makes way. Probably between Lloyd and Buntine. I personally like what Lloyd offers more with his straight kicking, marking and pressure. However, will be a close call.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2019-04-23/westfund-rehab-report-round-6

No real surprises in here and good news on Langdon being ready to play this weekend and Perryman due back the following week will add to the playing stocks
I am less confident over Davis getting up for Saturday night and I think if Corr comes back in Haynes will become more important and I can see one of Tomlinson or TOJ floating around the back half to offer support at stages of the game
Sheridan does not seem to be progressing in his rehab and it will be interesting to follow as he had a calf injury over the pre season
No mention of Caldwell so I assume they are still rehabbing him
D Buckley missed the NEAFL with a back issue from the previous week so hopefully he gets up for this week

Phil Davis Ankle Test
Harry Perryman Lung 1 weeks
Brett Deledio Calf 2 weeks
Jon Patton Knee TBC
Callan Ward Knee Season

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Greene back this week. Davis touch and go.
Good news is Langdon and Perryman are nearly back. I see Perryman as good depth rolling through the midfield.. and he is a really good user on both sides. Plus I think his contested game is underrated.

Something from the Freo game. We are not the hard running team we once were. No surprise when you lose Shiel and Scully. We used to have a clear advantage in that area but I think we were a bit exposed against Freo.

For this week:
Haynes Davis/Corr Shaw
Williams Taylor Kennedy
Whitfield Cogs Kelly
Greene Cameron Lloyd
Binga HH Reid
Mummy Hopper Taranto
De Boer Finlayson Tomlinson Hately

Finally, I feel like three talls is unsustainable. I think we’ll get exposed by the better sides. Leon has already mentioned that Freo transitioned the ball way too easily.

My ideal forward line in a few weeks would be:
Greene Cameron Binga
Langdon HH Lids

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
What on earth is going on with Caldwell? He is not playing but not on the rehab report, it’s like he has disappeared. Love the club but you can’t make omissions like this, he is our top draft pick from 18’, let us know what the go is??

I dont think the club lists players in the rehab report if they are not in line for senior selection, for example D buckley had a back injury from the previous weeks NEAFL game and wasnt listed last week or this week also Ian Hill was never in a rehab report despite the shoulder reconstruction
With Caldwell I am not too worried if he isnt playing at the moment I think we are all seeing the club is being more cautious than previous years and with the injury history with Caldwell I would rather he built up the required strength and fitness in his body to last a full AFL season than ended up missing significant games due to soft tissue injuries which he has a history of if I am not mistaken
I am sure we would all like more info on the players in the rehab report but I think it is about what is most relevant for them with the changes and why I am sure we will hear info when significant changes occur in a players recovery

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Not sure I agree with that fridgeman. Plenty of clubs list players every week who are out for the season!

I just cant see the explanation for the club not listing names, what do you see as the reason for the club not listing players in the rehab report if they are injured?

Are all injured players generally listed at North?

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Yep all NM players listed. Best example is Majak who has been listed as indefinite basically every update since his accident.

It must be a club preference thing. Ie perhaps designed to take pressure off young draftees with the message that we'll give you all the time you need to get right without making a public thing of it.

The only other thing I can think of is to take heat off recruiting staff in the short term (ie "we recruited these guys with recent injury history and even by day 1 they are still injured!").

This of course does not account for other anomalies like Corr this year and last who has also been invisible for no clear reason.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2019-04-30/westfund-rehab-report-round-7

Stephen Coniglio Finger Test I hope he is ok to play and good that he doesnt need surgery
Phil Davis Ankle Test Hope he gets up and the club can go back to the 4 tall defenders
Lachie Whitfield Thigh Test Pretty much confirmed that he will miss this week and hope he is back the week after
Brett Deledio Calf 1 week from the report he is likely to come back through the NEAFL the following week
Tommy Sheridan Calf 4 weeks No movement on the time frame for him so I think he may be doing some serious rehab and conditioning on his calf after 2 this year
Jonny Patton Knee TBC Hope to see an update soon and he should be stepping up his training soon for a late season comeback
Callan Ward Knee Season

Jye Caldwell is due to play NEAFL this weekend which is great, excited to see him running around again
Perryman is due back as well
No mention of Sam Reid which is surprising given I thought he hurt his lower leg quite badly late on in the game but not sure if I saw him come back on, did anyone see if he did get back on the field?

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Kelly sounds like he will be confirmed to play and Kennedy seems ok and Might make it thanks to the 8 day break. Davis more likely and he will be needed with Corr set to miss and glad it isnt a syndemosis with him and likely to be 2-4 weeks. I am not confident on Whitfield but again we will see on thursday when the team is named

https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2019-05-07/westfund-rehab-report-round-8

Aidan Corr Ankle TBC
Adam Kennedy Concussion Test
Lachie Whitfield Hip/Quad Test
Phil Davis Ankle Test
Tommy Sheridan Calf 3-4 weeks
Jonny Patton Knee TBC
Callan Ward Knee Season

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Sheridan had a setback by the looks.

He has been at 4 weeks since he suffered the strain in rd 3 and with him suffering a previous strain during the pre season it doesnt surprise me that the club is spending a lot of time rehabbing him

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2019-05-14/westfund-rehab-report-round-9

Cameron cleared to play this weekend by the rehab report, Whitfield should play and must have been close on the weekend and I would say last year he would have played but with the conservative management of players and that is why i think Mumford could miss this game but I hope I am wrong as he will be important against Kreuzer
Sheridan must have been to the same calf doctor in Freo as Bennell as he is no closer to coming back

I will say well done to the rehab and injury management team as to get to this stage of the season and really only 2 long term injuries so far this year is great

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
More of a Supercoach question Giants fans but what injury is Coniglio carrying into games atm?

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
More of a Supercoach question Giants fans but what injury is Coniglio carrying into games atm?
It is a dislocated finger he did a few weeks back.

It has certainly stopped his usual tackling pressure we have become used to. It has been almost a month now so I expect a return to more regular results in the next week or two

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It is a dislocated finger he did a few weeks back.

It has certainly stopped his usual tackling pressure we have become used to. It has been almost a month now so I expect a return to more regular results in the next week or two
Cheers. Was averaging close to 4 tackles a game before he played us. No tackles at all last week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back