Injury 2019 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

No news really on Williams so hopefully it isnt bad hopefully he is back for the trip to Adelaide
Coniglio needs to play this week to lead the midfield
Corr could be a chance to come in for Williams but I think he will play NEAFL after his earlier injury issues
Langdon the same
I say it nearly every week but can we get an update on Patton, he must be close to returning to contact training
Sheridans calf must be being rebuilt as it looks to be a 12 week injury unless they have forgotten about him

17 on the injury list for Melbourne including 5 tests and 4 tbc due to concussion 1 is Kolodjashnij

https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2019-05-21/westfund-rehab-report-round-10

Stephen Coniglio Finger Test
Aidan Corr Ankle Test
Zac Langdon Foot Test
Jonathon Patton Knee TBC
Tommy Sheridan Calf 3 weeks
Callan Ward Knee Season
Zac Williams Hamstring Test

A few went down on the weekend and hopefully no surprises at team selection on thursday, Coniglio likely to play is good news and hopefully he isn't restricted by his body. Caldwell missing means he will have missed a big chunk of this season and that will only slow his development but now is the time to work on his body to improve his fitness and work on techniques to avoid injuries. Unlucky for Sproule and hopefully he is back playing before the end of the regular season and I am still holding out hope of a debut for him this year
No mention of Patton and not sure if that is good or not but he cant be far away from being ready to join in training
Sheridan must have done a runner as he has know being listed at 3 weeks for the last 6 weeks so maybe he will get to 12 weeks:p and then be back playing
Unlucky for Corr but it will add an opportunity for Keefe to step in for Taylor when he needs a rest IMO and good reporting by AFL.com.au when they list Corr as a chance to come in for this weeks game in the 'In the mix" article
No mention of Lloyd so I presume he will be good to play this week

https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2019-05-28/westfund-rehab-report-round-11

Jye Caldwell Calf 4 weeks
Stephen Coniglio Corked thigh Test
Aidan Corr Calf 4 weeks
Jonathon Patton Knee TBC
Tommy Sheridan Calf 3 weeks
Zac Sproule Knee 6-8 weeks
Callan Ward Knee Season
Zac Williams Hamstring 1 week

Aidan Corr Calf 4 weeks

The continued absence of Corr highlights just how consistent Sam Taylor has been this year. His 'break-out' year has been as inspirational as Timmy T's.
He has kept Lachie Keefe out, he has left Tommo settled on the wing. He doesn't win all 50/50 contests, but he's always right there with, great stuff.

The continued absence of Corr highlights just how consistent Sam Taylor has been this year. His 'break-out' year has been as inspirational as Timmy T's.
He has kept Lachie Keefe out, he has left Tommo settled on the wing. He doesn't win all 50/50 contests, but he's always right there with, great stuff.
Really rate this kid. He is just what you want in a defender- super reliable and hard at it

Hope Whitfield makes a speedy recovery and unfortunate for him and with a crucial few weeks it is up to other players to step up in his absence and although they cannot replace him they can fill some of the hole he leaves behind.

Hope Whitfield makes a speedy recovery and unfortunate for him and with a crucial few weeks it is up to other players to step up in his absence and although they cannot replace him they can fill some of the hole he leaves behind.
The depth in the club allows us to fill his role, or a number of roles he plays pretty easily in my opinion. He certainly is all class but Williams if fit can come straight in, we also have guys like Hately and Shipley killing NEAFL games that deserve their opportunity at AFL level. Cumming is improving each week so even though it's a massive out for GWS it allows us to get games into kids to continue that transition necessary to cover for the stars when they go down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest the free that followed it was all it should have been. Contact was late but not high, we can’t go around fining guys or suspending them just cos they hurt someone

So Scicily got fined for a gut punch - much lower contact than on Lachie. Also - no damage.

Swallow was a late swinging arm (probably with a clenched fist - couldn’t tell, but I’m yet to see a swinging arm without one)

And Christiansen keeps banging on about “potential to cause harm” well this action actually caused harm.

But hey, obviously a swinging arm (late or not - and this was very late) is ok.

Love to see the next guy up in front of the judiciary use the “it wasn’t a punch your honour, it was a swinging arm” defence.

So Scicily got fined for a gut punch - much lower contact than on Lachie. Also - no damage.

Swallow was a late swinging arm (probably with a clenched fist - couldn’t tell, but I’m yet to see a swinging arm without one)

And Christiansen keeps banging on about “potential to cause harm” well this action actually caused harm.

But hey, obviously a swinging arm (late or not - and this was very late) is ok.

Love to see the next guy up in front of the judiciary use the “it wasn’t a punch your honour, it was a swinging arm” defence.
A bump V a punch is not a valid comparison.

Tell me, would you have had Mumford fined or rubbed out for a week for his hit on murphy?

Wasn’t a bump, it was a swinging arm.

If it had have been a bump (however late) I wouldn’t be complaining.
Swinging arms don’t break collarbones

Yes he hung the arm out but it was the shoulder to shoulder contact that was the issue

Regardless. You don’t get a fine for hurting someone- it’s a physical game and it happens

Swinging arms don’t break collarbones

Yes he hung the arm out but it was the shoulder to shoulder contact that was the issue

Regardless. You don’t get a fine for hurting someone- it’s a physical game and it happens

What the hell bit of footage are you watching?

Absolutely no shoulder involved. No bump. All swinging arm - and in this case, yes it did break his collarbone because he has a broken collarbone and Swallow’s shoulder wasn’t even in the vicinity.

Last edited:
What the hell bit of footage are you watching?

Absolutely no shoulder involved. No bump. All swinging arm - and in this case, yes it did break his collarbone because he has a broken collarbone and his shoulder wasn’t even in the vicinity.
Why the emphasis on a swinging arm? Does it really matter? I mean you have a point if it was high but it wasn’t

Why the emphasis on a swinging arm? Does it really matter? I mean you have a point if it was high but it wasn’t

I seriously can’t help anyone who thinks that a swinging arm is acceptable.

It was cheap. It was late. And who cares if it was high or not. It did the damage.

But hey, if you think a swinging arm is ok, go out and encourage the under 10s to do it.

https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2019-06-04/westfund-rehab-report-round-12

Disappointing news on Whitfield but hopefully he is back soon although I think the club will take all the 6 weeks to get him right and hopefully he picks up his form fast enough
I am hoping Williams is an in for the weekend with his run being needed
Sheridan finally moves a week closer to playing
No news on Patton but again he cannot be far away

Tommy Sheridan Calf 2 weeks
Jye Caldwell Calf 3 weeks
Aidan Corr Calf 3 weeks
Lachie Whitfield Collarbone 4 weeks
Zach Sproule Knee 5-7 weeks
Jonny Patton Knee TBC
Callan Ward Knee Season

I seriously can’t help anyone who thinks that a swinging arm is acceptable.

It was cheap. It was late. And who cares if it was high or not. It did the damage.

But hey, if you think a swinging arm is ok, go out and encourage the under 10s to do it.
You didn't answer my earlier question about Mumford. Do you think he should have had a consequence?

I didn't say that late hits are OK. It was a penalty. It was punished. I just think it happens to be a penalty and that is it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back