Injury 2019 Injury Thread

4E1CDE79-AD30-4ED2-BF2C-72EC64F62B3A.jpeg

Just had a read, and am pleased to see that in the last 3 weeks, Cocky has gone from 'TBC', to '6 weeks', to now '4-6 weeks.' Still a chance he could play VFL this year if all the stars align
efa?

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
So apparently Selwood has been playing with knee tendinitis.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/06/13/joel-selwood-dealing-with-lingering-knee-injury/

Sam McClure has provided some insight into Joel Selwood’s struggles so far this year, revealing he’s dealing with knee tendinitis.

The Geelong skipper has averaged 21 disposals this year, the lowest since his first season of footy back in 2007.

“Joel Selwood has been down on form. His last four weeks – 18 disposals, 17, 22 and 21,” McClure told SEN’s The Match Committee.

“Whether Joel or Geelong are willing to admit this or not, he’s injured. He’s got knee tendinitis and he’s been struggling.

“He’s been barely able to train in the last month or so. We know he missed two weeks earlier in the season with a leg problem, I think it was a similar injury.”

Former Western Bulldogs coach Terry Wallace admits knee tendinitis is a tough injury to recover from and isn’t a matter of just taking a month off.

“It’s a difficult injury because what you can do, if you off-load them hoping it’ll get better, you actually come back and as soon as you put the pressure back on, you’re quite regularly back in the same spot as you were so you’ve achieved nothing,” Wallace said.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/06/13/joel-selwood-dealing-with-lingering-knee-injury/

Mr X

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Round here
AFL Club
Geelong
It seemed pretty obvious he hasn't been playing at 100% since he came back from the couple of weeks off.

Hopefully a week off and getting his 60k back will see progressive improvement through the second half of the year - it is great to have the luxury to finally be able to carry him for a change!

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
View attachment 690652

Does anyone see Henderson getting a best22 game with all players available atm ? Taylor's form has been good and Hendersons injuries have made in a no contest. The only down side is Taylor being that bit older , in theory LH has time on his side but I think in body they are of similar age. Right now having a 22-23 year old CHB in the VFL would just about be the last straw for LH..so he has that in his favour. We lack that ..and as good as our form has been one can see injuries to the key players would gut the side.

View attachment 690652

Does anyone see Henderson getting a best22 game with all players available atm ? Taylor's form has been good and Hendersons injuries have made in a no contest. The only down side is Taylor being that bit older , in theory LH has time on his side but I think in body they are of similar age. Right now having a 22-23 year old CHB in the VFL would just about be the last straw for LH..so he has that in his favour. We lack that ..and as good as our form has been one can see injuries to the key players would gut the side.

Hendo ahead of Henry easily.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
So apparently Selwood has been playing with knee tendinitis.

We are in a strong enough position that he should just be rested 'til finals, so he can get himself completely right. Bring Menegola back in after the bye or Round 16, and then he can fill Sel's spot until he is absolutely 100% at the business end

View attachment 690652

Can't see it. Would take an undesirable change to the role of Blicavs or Taylor. Don't think he's like for like with Henry who has been playing on mediums.

Nov 24, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I think Henderson is a better player than Henry is at this stage (though Henry hopefully has plenty of improvement left in him), but I don't think Henderson could play the same role that Henry currently is. Same with Kolo - both are more flexible in terms of match ups.

I see it as Henderson, Taylor and Blicavs vying for 2 spots in the side - and Blicavs is well and truly locked into one of them, which makes it Taylor vs Henderson. At the beginning of the year I'd have expected it to be Henderson, but Taylor's form has been good to great all year so it's his to lose at this point.

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
I think Henderson is a better player than Henry is at this stage (though Henry hopefully has plenty of improvement left in him), but I don't think Henderson could play the same role that Henry currently is. Same with Kolo - both are more flexible in terms of match ups.

I see it as Henderson, Taylor and Blicavs vying for 2 spots in the side - and Blicavs is well and truly locked into one of them, which makes it Taylor vs Henderson. At the beginning of the year I'd have expected it to be Henderson, but Taylor's form has been good to great all year so it's his to lose at this point.

Structure of the backline is the best it's been for some time , Blitz and HT to play on the tall KPF's , Kolo and Henry able to lock down talls , mediums and some smalls , Touhy and Stewart to take the smalls and mediums with Stewart taking the interceptor role ( that Henry had last year)
IIRC the only bags have come from Cameron and Brown so there may be some work to do in locking down these types but overall the defence gets an A+ so far.
Henderson and Bews are depth for mine , handy depth at that :thumbsu:

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Henderson is not a replacement for Taylor or blicavs. He is an absolute s**t-truck when it comes to one on one defending. Not only that, he runs like he is moon walking through quicksand and requires acres of space just to change direction.

Pollywaffle

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Henderson is not a replacement for Taylor or blicavs. He is an absolute ****-truck when it comes to one on one defending. Not only that, he runs like he is moon walking through quicksand and requires acres of space just to change direction.
A tad harsh, but hard to find a spot in the current lineup for him.
Henry's upside and versatility, and Taylor's renaissance, keeps him on the sideline
Henderson's time in the hoops may be limited. I see him, if fit and able, heading to another club next year unless Taylor pulls the pin.
(Which may be possible if we get the chocolates this year. Maybe even if we don't)

Last edited:
Back