Injury 2019 Injury Updates Thread

Bring back Kirkwood IMO.
Yeah I'd be fine with that too. We need a mid. Our current SANFL midfield is Hewett, Sam Gray (who is more of a forward at AFL level), Appleton and Sutcliffe (who is more of a back pocket player). And Atley who is out for over a month.

SureBuddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
A MID-SEASON rookie draft is in place in the AFL in 2019.

Clubs will also be able to sign players via the rookie list between December 1 and March 15 to replace retired or seriously injured players.

To be eligible for the new rookie-list places, players must have previously nominated for the NAB AFL Draft, or had previously been on the list of an AFL club.

Clubs will be able to take part in the mid-season rookie draft if they have a list spot available, or if they create one by moving a long-term injured or retired player to the new 'inactive list'.

e.g Patmore is out for the year so we can draft someone until March 15 to replace him.
Mitch Grigg. Let’s fk over Norwood while we are at it. In all seriousness though, he would be a great pickup for SANFL at the very least.

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'd be waiting till the midseason draft and then picking the best available young talent. There's usually mature agers (or 19 year olds) who are rated second rounders by mid season. I'd be concentrating on kids who got national or state combine invites but were overlooked. See who is standing out in state leagues and get them on the list to develop for future years.

Tredz

Club Legend
Apr 30, 2011
Brisbane, QLD
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
Watch the club bring back Neade

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

1552186462369.png

Oct 1, 2014
NeverNevers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A MID-SEASON rookie draft is in place in the AFL in 2019.

Clubs will also be able to sign players via the rookie list between December 1 and March 15 to replace retired or seriously injured players.

To be eligible for the new rookie-list places, players must have previously nominated for the NAB AFL Draft, or had previously been on the list of an AFL club.

Clubs will be able to take part in the mid-season rookie draft if they have a list spot available, or if they create one by moving a long-term injured or retired player to the new 'inactive list'.

e.g Patmore is out for the year so we can draft someone until March 15 to replace him.
We would probably end up signing Cameron Sutcliffe if we went down that path.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What's the situation with the new rules about drafting supplementary players? As Jake Patmore sadly has just got a season-ending injury, can we replace him for the coming season with someone overlooked in the draft? I recall reading somewhere that clubs have until the end of March to draft such players.
My preference would be to take the best player from the SANFL club that complains most about our SANFL and mid season draft rules.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
I'd be waiting till the midseason draft and then picking the best available young talent. There's usually mature agers (or 19 year olds) who are rated second rounders by mid season. I'd be concentrating on kids who got national or state combine invites but were overlooked. See who is standing out in state leagues and get them on the list to develop for future years.

Agree.

Look at the players drafted in 2018 who were outstanding in the state leagues - by mid season they were clearly draft material e.g. Shane McAdam, Nathan Kreuger, Callum Wilkie, Sydney Stack

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Agree.

Look at the players drafted in 2018 who were outstanding in the state leagues - by mid season they were clearly draft material e.g. Shane McAdam, Nathan Kreuger, Callum Wilkie, Sydney Stack

If we go down this route can we just keep them or have to be re drafted next yr?
It's a pity grigg doesn't seem real serious about playing afl because i reckon he could be a stewy dew type on a half forward flank and would piss norwood supporters off big time lol.

It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
I think this would be smart too. The shorter term option is to pick a mature state league player now and get a 10 week preseason into them. Given it was a fringe flanker/small who went down, and I don’t think we are a top 4 contender, I be holding tight and picking the best available player from the SANFL mid year. Hope for a gun.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
I think this would be smart too. The shorter term option is to pick a mature state league player now and get a 10 week preseason into them. Given it was a fringe flanker/small who went down, and I don’t think we are a top 4 contender, I be holding tight and picking the best available player from the SANFL mid year. Hope for a gun.

If disaster struck and 2 ruckman went down then we should keep the pick for that contingency. Otherwise a gun.

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If we go down this route can we just keep them or have to be re drafted next yr?
It's a pity grigg doesn't seem real serious about playing afl because i reckon he could be a stewy dew type on a half forward flank and would piss norwood supporters off big time lol.
You get to keep them. They count as a rookie. You still have to cut your list to normal size but we have players to move on. Hopefully we can jag a good player and patmore comes back bigger and better.

We should draft Mitch Grigg and then leave him at home eating chips on the couch just to **** with Norwood.

Nah. Instead of paying his rookie salary just buy up the Norwood membership and fold the club.*

*I know you can't use list salaries for other s**t, but who cares.

Nah. Instead of paying his rookie salary just buy up the Norwood membership and fold the club.*

*I know you can't use list salaries for other s**t, but who cares.

This is also acceptable. Sanjeev Gupta could probably buy the Norwood Football Club with the spare change in his couch cushions.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
PORT ADELAIDE ruckman Paddy Ryder has had successful surgery to fix a depressed cheekbone suffered in Saturday's 21-point win over North Melbourne.

The 30-year-old suffered the injury in an accidental head collision with teammate Robbie Gray early in the last quarter of the JLT Community Series game at Alberton Oval.
Ryder is recovering well and will enjoy a four-day break from training along with the rest of his teammates.

Defender Jarrod Lienert went off with knee soreness in the second quarter of the game against the Kangaroos.
Scans on Sunday revealed the 24-year-old had suffered a medial ligament strain.
He will now undertake a period of enforced rest.

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2019-03-11/injury-update-jlt-2-

Oct 1, 2014
NeverNevers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This is interesting:

Dixon has shed five kilograms from his 108kg frame to lighten the load from the joint of his ankle.

He was listed as 105kg last year...which means he was 3kg over his 2018 playing weight when he was weighed for the 2019 season. Which marries up to Feel’s info that Dixon hasn’t presented himself in the best condition in the preseason.

He’s now 103kg, according to the article. I’d say he’s doing all the running he missed in the preseason now.

LFC2010

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 28, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Boston Celtics
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-12/no-return-date-set-for-power-forward-after-injury-setback

PORT Adelaide doesn't have a fixed return date for key forward Charlie Dixon after he had a setback in his stop-start recovery from a broken leg and dislocated ankle.

AFL.com.au understands Dixon's training was scaled back last week after experiencing pain following three weeks of running.

I said we should take our time with Dixon. If it meant waiting until post bye so be it.
now we've pushed him a little harder he's pulled up a bit sore.. surprise, surprise.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
From afl.com.au

"Under the pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP) introduced this year, clubs have the opportunity to place players on their long-term injury list and replace them prior to March 15.

It is understood Gold Coast is in the process of replacing defender Rory Thompson on its list, having already held over a spot from the rookie draft and losing Harrison Wigg to a knee injury.

Port Adelaide, which lost young midfielder Jake Patmore to a ruptured ACL at the weekend, will instead opt to carry the position on its list into the mid-season draft."

Back