Injury 2019 Injury Updates Thread

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
In the event that Dixon is a write-off for much of the season and Watts transitions better than expected to a role in defence, I wonder if we could consider moving Howard back forward to work alongside of Marshall.
After his performance last year a side without Dixon might be a blessing. I'd definitely consider moving Howard forward.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Considering where we are at with injuries atm, how can't Farrell get into our side.

Hartlett HBF
Wines Inside Mid
Dixon KPF

Farrel as a small forward isn’t competing with those three guys for spots.

He’d be looking to replace one of the following through either form or injury; Ebert (new role as a forward) Robbie (splitting his time between mid and forward), Rozee and Butters possibly Motlop.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hartlett HBF
Wines Inside Mid
Dixon KPF

Farrel as a small forward isn’t competing with those three guys for spots.

He’d be looking to replace one of the following through either form or injury; Ebert (new role as a forward) Robbie (splitting his time between mid and forward), Rozee and Butters possibly Motlop.
Yeah I suppose, we will have to wait and see how things pan out after a couple of rounds.

Hasn't he sat out every pre-season hitout because he's being "managed"? Probably needs a game or two in the SANFL.
Farrell has featured in the U23s game and SANFL trials vs North and South. I think he missed the intra-club match due to being managed.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
It's pretty clear with Dixon we're now looking at a Broadbent style injury. With a side that is already expecting a downward trend this year before our upswing, losing our CHF for the majority of the year, and placing the pressure on Marshall to lead us, is certain to have a huge impact on our year.

Its quite a bad looking injury list though, a lot of injuries, and a lot of them decent periods out.

The Rubber Man

Club Legend
May 1, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's pretty clear with Dixon we're now looking at a Broadbent style injury. With a side that is already expecting a downward trend this year before our upswing, losing our CHF for the majority of the year, and placing the pressure on Marshall to lead us, is certain to have a huge impact on our year.

Its quite a bad looking injury list though, a lot of injuries, and a lot of them decent periods out.

I’m probably in the minority here. But would like to see frampton get game time and play as our deepest forward. Can mark and kick straight. Forward pressure from him probably needs work but I’d be happy to give him a go.

Frampton Marshall and Ryder/lycett as tall forwards while not elite, could cause damage.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
I’m probably in the minority here. But would like to see frampton get game time and play as our deepest forward. Can mark and kick straight. Forward pressure from him probably needs work but I’d be happy to give him a go.

Frampton Marshall and Ryder/lycett as tall forwards while not elite, could cause damage.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I wouldn't mind it either, but who would come out?

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Yeah I'd be fine with that too. We need a mid. Our current SANFL midfield is Hewett, Sam Gray (who is more of a forward at AFL level), Appleton and Sutcliffe (who is more of a back pocket player). And Atley who is out for over a month.

He's still a better mid but we've forced him into a forward position.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Pressure is probably on Marshall to stand up, especially in Dixon’s absence. If he can’t and Frampton is kicking goals in the SANFL could take his spot.

Hopefully Marshall can stand up and lift his game, has a great mix of height, pace and agility. Add in his ground level ability and smarts and he should be a great player for us.

Nonetheless, needs to earn his spot like everyone else.

Hopefully Dixon pulls through and recovers well and this isn’t as nasty as people think.

Chachi

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fu** No
In the event that Dixon is a write-off for much of the season and Watts transitions better than expected to a role in defence, I wonder if we could consider moving Howard back forward to work alongside of Marshall.
Thought the same thing myself.

I trust Dougs more than Frampton to fill this role but still not opposed for Frampton to do a similar job. I think Dougs has more flexibility though.

We may just decide on another tall week to week depending on our opposition. With May out are we better to go small or try and exploit it?

I think we should keep persevering with Watts across half back/high defensive player.

The team that played against North will line up I think, minus Lienert.

Jan 16, 2009
Heaps good
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies, Bulls & Cricket Aus
Dixon sounds weeks away from being at the match fit, dominant level we need him at.
Yeah, I was upstairs Saturday when Barry interviewed him. Was all set to ramp up his training but when he started running at full tilt last week he was getting pain in his shin so he had the rest of the week off. It will be wait and see stuff, was going to try again this week. doubt we’ll see him in the first 1/3 of the season.

He looks bloody fit though.

Adam Marrett23

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2014

Not really with Dixon. It was obvious in September he was looking at a long time out, no one connected the dots, and the club kept it quiet more to the point. He absolutely shattered his ankle and fractured his leg. Was a huge amount of rehab, and rest for him for it to heal. It's no great surprise it's taken so long. The club would've known, Charlie knew. This one will take time, and there is no rush on it. As important as he is, he will be no good to us at all if we rush it. Get him right, we have the look of a good forward line at the moment from what I've seen, so get him fit and firing and he will just add to it when he is ready.

A recovery like Dixon's would normally come with a 25+ week recovery period before starting to ramp up training. We're into about week 31. Ideally he should have been well and truly into his training now. I would hazard a guess he'll be looking at a return just before mid-season.

Internally the club set a target of round 4 in the SANFL, but this was before the recent setback.

Aug 13, 2007
NSW
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers

Ryder.

Frampton can play Dixon's contested mark game (not as well obviously but its kind of a like for like). Lycett is playing that style when resting forward while Ryder is in the ruck (Ryder is more of an athletic leading forward, but can take a contested mark as well).

If Ryder is out we need Lycett to ruck pretty much full time and someone to pinch hit in ruck, may as well be Frampton so we can minimise the impact on structure - or the ideal structure we'll have when Dixon is back.

If Ryder and Lycett are playing, Frampton is probably unnecessary.

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
Ryder.

Frampton can play Dixon's contested mark game (not as well obviously but its kind of a like for like). Lycett is playing that style when resting forward while Ryder is in the ruck (Ryder is more of an athletic leading forward, but can take a contested mark as well).

If Ryder is out we need Lycett to ruck pretty much full time and someone to pinch hit in ruck, may as well be Frampton so we can minimise the impact on structure - or the ideal structure we'll have when Dixon is back.

If Ryder and Lycett are playing, Frampton is probably unnecessary.
Ryder is playing.

Back