Injury 2019 Injury Updates Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Where does this s**t handball thing come from? It was a fine handball and opened up the play. Watts was in la la land and took forever getting rid of it.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-31/port-confirm-broken-leg-for-watts-no-timeline-on-return

IT APPEARS unlikely Port Adelaide backman Jack Watts will return in 2019 after having surgery on a broken right fibula and partially dislocated right ankle in the Power's win over Carlton on Saturday.
"Jack underwent successful surgery earlier today (Sunday) and will commence his rehab process as soon as possible," O'Leary said.

"Jack has obviously suffered a serious injury and will therefore be sidelined for an extended period of time. It's too early to be putting a specific timeline on his recovery at this stage."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-31/port-confirm-broken-leg-for-watts-no-timeline-on-return

IT APPEARS unlikely Port Adelaide backman Jack Watts will return in 2019 after having surgery on a broken right fibula and partially dislocated right ankle in the Power's win over Carlton on Saturday.
"Jack underwent successful surgery earlier today (Sunday) and will commence his rehab process as soon as possible," O'Leary said.

"Jack has obviously suffered a serious injury and will therefore be sidelined for an extended period of time. It's too early to be putting a specific timeline on his recovery at this stage."
Rhetorical question, but what the * is a partial dislocation of the ankle?

I believe it's a dislocation that is partial.
You either dislocate or you don't. Once the ball pops out of its socket, for whatever joint, its a dislocation.

I'm guessing that they mean that the bones in his foot weren't entirely separated from both the tib and fib, and there's probably some ligaments still hanging on for dear life.
I'm not sure what that has to do with a dislocation.

When I dislocated my ankle, the doctor explained it to me this way the day after they popped it back into place.

He made a cup with left hand and a fist with his his right hand. He put the 'ball into the socket' and quickly twisted his right hand anti-clockwise and it pops out of the 'socket' towards the left and he said the twisting force comes out up near my elbow or the fibula near the knee in my leg and that's why that bone breaks.

They took an X ray of my foot - landscape style - before they drugged me up to yank it back into place, the doc was in surgery, and they showed it to him first. He said do the x-ray again portrait style to show up to the knee because the fibula was probably broken. He was right. The drugs were good, but I couldn't look at them yanking my foot back into place.

The only thing I can think of, now that I have reenacted what the doc told me, was that the ball didnt 100% pop out of the socket. that's the only thing that sounds logical. but that is still just a dislocation to me.

I'm not sure what that has to do with a dislocation.

When I dislocated my ankle, the doctor explained it to me this way the day after they popped it back into place.

He made a cup with left hand and a fist with his his right hand. He put the 'ball into the socket' and quickly twisted his right hand anti-clockwise and it pops out of the 'socket' towards the left and he said the twisting force comes out up near my elbow or the fibula near the knee in my leg and that's why that bone breaks.

They took an X ray of my foot - landscape style - before they drugged me up to yank it back into place, the doc was in surgery, and they showed it to him first. He said do the x-ray again portrait style to show up to the knee because the fibula was probably broken. He was right. The drugs were good, but I couldn't look at them yanking my foot back into place.

The only thing I can think of, now that I have reenacted what the doc told me, was that the ball didnt 100% pop out of the socket. that's the only thing that sounds logical. but that is still just a dislocation to me.
Except it stops being a ball into the socket joint if the fib breaks near the foot and comes loose from the tib (essentially a syndesmosis injury + a break)

Except it stops being a ball into the socket joint if the fib breaks near the foot and comes loose from the tib (essentially a syndesmosis injury + a break)
So does that mean its really a break of a bone away from a joint rather than a dislocation of the joint?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So does that mean its really a break of a bone away from a joint rather than a dislocation of the joint?
Certainly reads like it. But there also could have been a few ligaments ping in the landing ontop of the ankle requiring everything to be held back together with a bit of packing tape.

Certainly reads like it. But there also could have been a few ligaments ping in the landing ontop of the ankle requiring everything to be held back together with a bit of packing tape.
There is a lot of ligament damage with a ball and socket dislocation, and there would be a lot as well if its the two bones separating and one breaking, slightly different damage, but still significant.

There is a lot of ligament damage with a ball and socket dislocation, and there would be a lot as well if its the two bones separating and one breaking, slightly different damage, but still significant.
It seems almost identical to Charlie's.

Hopefully he is a little more fortunate on not having the same number of setbacks to Charlie has.

Chris Davies on SEN says he has some hope that Watts will be back later in the season, but will re-assess whether to rule him out for the season or not in a months time.

Also Amon to have scans today and will probs miss a minimum of 2 weeks.

Wines and Hartlett have both put their hand up for selection also.

The ankle is not a ball and socket joint, it is a hinge joint.
Ankle injuries are classed using the Weber classification system, from the details that have been reported - Jack likely has a Weber ‘B’ fracture where he has a Tubial fracture just below the Syndesmosis ligament and the ligament has not ruptured.

Where does this s**t handball thing come from? It was a fine handball and opened up the play. Watts was in la la land and took forever getting rid of it.
I was sitting behind the goals where Watts got injured, he had nothing up the field to kick to, hence why he held the ball so long. What happened after was just bad luck. Just a freak injury.

Personally I'll be staggered if he his back this season at all. It's a long road back, I'm 3 months into my recovery and have only been walking a fortnight but going from what I've read about Watts injury it isn't as severe as mine so he may get back soonish. Feel for the guy cause he was great in round 1, and I thought he was playing well again on Saturday until that happened.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I think Watts will get back. Unlike most, he’s in an environment where his job requires him to rehabilitate injuries correctly. Most people don’t have access to doctors and physios at their workplace.

I’m thinking he’ll do what Goldsack did last year with his ACL. The success of the team and the positive energy will have a great impact on his recovery time. I know that sounds woo woo, but I believe that’s what happens with these things.

He deserves his spot in any finals team, especially if we play on the MCG.

I think Watts will get back. Unlike most, he’s in an environment where his job requires him to rehabilitate injuries correctly. Most people don’t have access to doctors and physios at their workplace.

I’m thinking he’ll do what Goldsack did last year with his ACL. The success of the team and the positive energy will have a great impact on his recovery time. I know that sounds woo woo, but I believe that’s what happens with these things.

I hope so.
I also hope he doesn’t have too much free time on his hands.

If there's even the slightest chance of Watts getting back this year, I wouldn't publicly rule him out. For the sake of Watts' mental health as much as anything. Give him a goal to work towards. No good having him sitting around feeling sorry for himself and waiting for next year.

10 weeks for leg to heal, 6 weeks to get conditioning, back playing by round 18.

I’m bullish on his recovery and I reckon the club is as well.

He can do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back