Injury 2019 Injury Updates Thread

Ported

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Where does this s**t handball thing come from? It was a fine handball and opened up the play. Watts was in la la land and took forever getting rid of it.

To be a little fair on Watts, i reckon he would have at least been able to handball while being tackled, but he was a bit distracted by his fibula snapping.

To be a little fair on Watts, i reckon he would have at least been able to handball while being tackled, but he was a bit distracted by his fibula snapping.

Players have gotten too soft these days, Dave Granger would've pulled his snapped fibula out of his leg and whacked Thomas over the head with it.

I'm not critical of him not handballing as his leg snapped in half, thats fine. He had the the chance to give it the first time, chose not to.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
10 weeks for leg to heal, 6 weeks to get conditioning, back playing by round 18.

I’m bullish on his recovery and I reckon the club is as well.

He can do it.
Yeah the partial dislocation line gives me hope.

If the ligaments aren't too badly damaged the bones will heal fine.

I just have a gut feeling he will be back sooner than everyone is predicting.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
I never liked Dale Thomas. Now I like him even less. If you're gonna blame anyone for Watts getting injured, blame that campaigner for falling on top of him.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
I never liked Dale Thomas. Now I like him even less. If you're gonna blame anyone for Watts getting injured, blame that campaigner for falling on top of him.

campaigner didn't even look at Watts to see if he was okay.

Injury list as of April 1, 2019

Ollie Wines – shoulder (assess)
Jarrod Lienert – knee (1-2 weeks)
Karl Amon – knee (5-6 weeks)
Sam Hayes – knee (6-8 weeks)
Charlie Dixon – leg (TBC)
Jack Watts – leg (TBC)
Jake Patmore – knee (season)

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2019-04-01/injury-update-amon-out-for-five-to-six-weeks-

When I heard about Amons injury during the game I immediately thought he’d be out for a max of 8 weeks. I think Lobbe had something similar a few years ago?

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
The ankle is not a ball and socket joint, it is a hinge joint.
Ankle injuries are classed using the Weber classification system, from the details that have been reported - Jack likely has a Weber ‘B’ fracture where he has a Tubial fracture just below the Syndesmosis ligament and the ligament has not ruptured.
So, after hearing Ken on 360 tonight... Jack in fact more than likely has a Weber 'C' fracture as the Syndesmosis ligament was also ruptured.

dirty2

F*** the southern power
Nov 6, 2016
Bar Rossa
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal
I'm not sure what that has to do with a dislocation.

When I dislocated my ankle, the doctor explained it to me this way the day after they popped it back into place.

He made a cup with left hand and a fist with his his right hand. He put the 'ball into the socket' and quickly twisted his right hand anti-clockwise and it pops out of the 'socket' towards the left and he said the twisting force comes out up near my elbow or the fibula near the knee in my leg and that's why that bone breaks.

They took an X ray of my foot - landscape style - before they drugged me up to yank it back into place, the doc was in surgery, and they showed it to him first. He said do the x-ray again portrait style to show up to the knee because the fibula was probably broken. He was right. The drugs were good, but I couldn't look at them yanking my foot back into place.

The only thing I can think of, now that I have reenacted what the doc told me, was that the ball didnt 100% pop out of the socket. that's the only thing that sounds logical. but that is still just a dislocation to me.
* that.. I can almost feel your pain... just stop.... please...

So, after hearing Ken on 360 tonight... Jack in fact more than likely has a Weber 'C' fracture as the Syndesmosis ligament was also ruptured.

Consulting with Dr Google, Weber C fractures are unstable and require surgery (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danis–Weber_classification?wprov=sfti1)

The fracture takes 8-12 weeks to fully heal. As Watts is at peak fitness and will be using best practice with professional support for his recovery, I’d expect him to be back running sooner rather than later. His 2019 isn’t over for now.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Consulting with Dr Google, Weber C fractures are unstable and require surgery (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danis–Weber_classification?wprov=sfti1)

The fracture takes 8-12 weeks to fully heal. As Watts is at peak fitness and will be using best practice with professional support for his recovery, I’d expect him to be back running sooner rather than later. His 2019 isn’t over for now.
It's not the bone, it's the ligaments you need to worry about.

It's not the bone, it's the ligaments you need to worry about.

Yes, that's what makes the fracture unstable and why surgery is required. The time to heal should also factor in ligament healing.

Back