2019 is a weird season of footy, so far

I don't really have much else of substance to add to the thread title.

With the Saints beating the Hawks, and no undefeated teams after round four, and all of the early ACL injuries, the 6-6-6, etc etc etc...

Does anyone else feel like this is shaping up to be one of those weird years of footy we look back on in a decade's time and go "Oh, yeahhh I had forgotten about 2019. That year was weird"

Fuzzy Wuzzy Bear

Premiership Player
Oct 28, 2004
New Eden
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Funny how the AFL brought in the 6-6-6 to open up the game yet it's looking like it might be the lowest scoring season in a long long time. Shootouts are certainly becoming a thing of the past save for one or two games per year now.

w3hUyFC.gif

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't really have much else of substance to add to the thread title.

With the Saints beating the Hawks, and no undefeated teams after round four, and all of the early ACL injuries, the 6-6-6, etc etc etc...

Does anyone else feel like this is shaping up to be one of those weird years of footy we look back on in a decade's time and go "Oh, yeahhh I had forgotten about 2019. That year was weird"
It's only 4 rounds in. It takes a few months for things to shake out. Besides, if you look at the top 3, not many people would be overly surprised to see those teams sitting there.

It's great.
Supporters from all 18 clubs can turn up on game day and realistically hope their side can win.
I spent the good part of three decades turning up to watch Richo only and knowing we wouldn't win.
AFL's equalisation policy is working and I reckon it's a good thing.

I doubt the supporters of whichever team wins the premiership are going to look back in ten years and think 2019 was a forgettable year.

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Funny how the AFL brought in the 6-6-6 to open up the game yet it's looking like it might be the lowest scoring season in a long long time. Shootouts are certainly becoming a thing of the past save for one or two games per year now.

w3hUyFC.gif
Good. Shootouts are terrible. I like when goals have value and are scored through hard work and against good defences.

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
There were no undefeated teams this time last season. Hawks had just beaten Melbourne by 67 points. People were like wtf? Eagles have only lost 1 game.

In other words, its no different.

Zarrix

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
Equalisation is the one administrative aspect of the game the AFL have got pretty close to right. Hopefully, there isn't a return to the turn of the decade where two or three teams were ridiculously dominant.

It is not good for my tipping though, 15/36 is diabolical form.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah I am not sure what’s so weird about the season. We are basing current results in what happened last year when if you look at just this season, there’s nothing that was an absolute shocker except Essendon winning easy.

The usual s**t teams - saints, Brisbane, Gold Coast, are doing what they should be doing and improving, while hawks and Sydney are declining. About it really.

Farrand

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2003
England
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Side Hawkwing
It's definitely not great for tipping. Would have won a tonne if Brisbane and Hawks had come through. Such a shame.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
It's great.
Supporters from all 18 clubs can turn up on game day and realistically hope their side can win.
I spent the good part of three decades turning up to watch Richo only and knowing we wouldn't win.
AFL's equalisation policy is working and I reckon it's a good thing.
17 clubs. Hard to see the end of the rainbow for Carlton supporters.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

w3hUyFC.gif

But the game is more open this year...there's just not more scoring

Bludd

Debutant
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney

I can't really tell if it has had any positive impact yet this season.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
It's been a great season so far. Carlton might be bottom and winless, but they've been far from easy beats. Other than the eagles there are no stand out sides either.

7 of 9 games this weekend were decided by less than 3 goals. As a neutral what more can you ask for?

Loving it so far.
Agreed, one of the most watchable seasons I've seen in some time.

Back