Autopsy 2019: It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times

Why is it when we beat teams it's only because they were rabble at the time. The Bombers spanked Brisbane two weeks after we played them. Hawthorn were competitive against Geelong the week after we played them. Isn't another possibility that we executed our game plan and we did not allow the opposition to play well. At the start of the season we were one of the hardest teams to score against and that was largely off the back of pressure all around the ground.
I thought we were playing with confidence and willing to take risks. IIRC Lonie was leading our tackle count inside 50 and he was also providing defensive pressure around the ground. IMO when he got injured it seemed to unsettle us. Putting the relevance of the Lonie injury aside however, there is no doubt in my mind that our confidence took a hit in that Crow's game and we were never quite the same team again.

Bad post, needs more brimstone.

Ricmel

Premium Platinum
Jul 13, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not sure Lonie had anything to do with us going south , we coped a golden run with our draw in the first five weeks until we started playing decent teams and thats where we got found out all year , we won 4 of the first 5 for a reason , not because we were a good team and not because lonie was playing IMO

This. Essendon is not the competition benchmark. Eagles, Tiges, Cats and Pies are the current competition benchmarks. We are a million miles away. Did anyone watch Eagles last night? They had 15 - 20 passages of ball movement that we would be lucky to achieve twice in a game. Their precision by hand and foot is on a whole other level.

I think if the club is not brutally honest about where our list is at then there will be no collective will to do the things that need be done. Next to Gold Coast we are probably the least skilled team in the competition. And some of the worst proponents are the very players in here that we keep calling on the edge of being A grade.

Brad Hill is critical. Get another classy finisher and we are some way to addressing our performance issues.

This. Essendon is not the competition benchmark. Eagles, Tiges, Cats and Pies are the current competition benchmarks. We are a million miles away. Did anyone watch Eagles last night? They had 15 - 20 passages of ball movement that we would be lucky to achieve twice in a game. Their precision by hand and foot is on a whole other level.

I think if the club is not brutally honest about where our list is at then there will be no collective will to do the things that need be done. Next to Gold Coast we are probably the least skilled team in the competition. And some of the worst proponents are the very players in here that we keep calling on the edge of being A grade.

Brad Hill is critical. Get another classy finisher and we are some way to addressing our performance issues.
No idea why you quoted me

Back