Preview 2019 JLT1 V Port Power - Sat March 2, 3.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

If ROB can't get more involved in general play you are effectively one man down.

The game has gone past a Ruckman judt being able to tap and that is it.

Yes we could alter other player's roles to cover the lack of impact around the ground for a Ruckman.

But I bet they wont and Sauce's ability to do more in general play will keep him in the side. Not to mention ROB as a Ruck is not a massive upgrade over Sauce anyway.

For now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
One game playing half game time.

Not a large sample to suggest he can’t.

Very harsh characterisation of ROB's style.

Clarke/Biglands he ain't.
I hope so.
Would like to see more of him and want him to lead the Ruck this week. I acknowledge he is by far the best Ruck at SANFL level.

Tend to agree he wonr be useless around the ground. But not sure he will ever.be as good as Peak Sauce.

I would use JLT2 to have ROB lead the Ruck to see what he can do with more game time and responsibility.

I hope so.
Would like to see more of him and want him to lead the Ruck this week. I acknowledge he is by far the best Ruck at SANFL level.

Tend to agree he wonr be useless around the ground. But not sure he will ever.be as good as Peak Sauce.

I would use JLT2 to have ROB lead the Ruck to see what he can do with more game time and responsibility.

If we don’t use JLT2 for this our thinking is very narrow.

He'll be different to peak Sauce in that i doubt he'll ever have Sauce's footskills which for a ruckman are excellent.

What I expect from ROB having watched a reasonable amount of his footy is that he'll win more contested footy than Jacobs both on the ground (like a poorer man's Hudson) and in the air (like a far poorer man's Rehn).

I tend to suspect his peak will not reach Sauce's peak. However, Sauce has regressed. As to where they are now, my initial observations are it's bloody close.

He'll be different to peak Sauce in that i doubt he'll ever have Sauce's footskills which for a ruckman are excellent.

What I expect from ROB having watched a reasonable amount of his footy is that he'll win more contested footy than Jacobs both on the ground (like a poorer man's Hudson) and in the air (like a far poorer man's Rehn).

I tend to suspect his peak will not reach Sauce's peak. However, Sauce has regressed. As to where they are now, my initial observations are it's bloody close.

What is ROB's field kicking like?

I've got a theory that Jacobs is mostly disliked because of how he looks.

No muscle definition, bald ranga with no eye brows but a beaming smile. Should not be an AFL ruckman.

I wouldn't put a line through him yet, he's only 30 and hasn't played a bruising style of footy that would mean an early retirement, he was playing injured last year so if he has his body is right he should be back to 2017 form.
He's never going to be able to jump higher than Ryder but neither will ROB, he's never going to be able to outreach Gawn at a ruck contest around the ground, but neither will ROB.

I doubt we would be judging either ruckman on how they went against Ryder on the weekend because they will never be able to jump higher than him, probably just how they went against Lycett.

If ROB can't get more involved in general play you are effectively one man down.

The game has gone past a Ruckman judt being able to tap and that is it.

Yes we could alter other player's roles to cover the lack of impact around the ground for a Ruckman.

But I bet they wont and Sauce's ability to do more in general play will keep him in the side. Not to mention ROB as a Ruck is not a massive upgrade over Sauce anyway.

For now.

Exactly right - I’m not saying he’s no good or won’t be a better option but he needs to knock the door down to get a game round 1 or thereafter and that performance didn’t do it

Looking forward to seeing what he can do this week and I hope he outperforms
Jacobs and puts his hand up

Agreed , he will take more contested marks , tackle more , cover more ground with his endurance running and generally get his hands dirty with ground ball

Just saying he didn’t do enough of all that on weekend to put his hand up to say you have to pick me ... which is what it will take rightly or wrongly

Do you think the club would have expected him to dominate Ryder and Lycett when Jacobs clearly didn’t?

Jeff you seem to be judging him quite harshly not taking into account the quality of the opposition ruckman and the fact he played **** all last year.

Jacobs is finished. We are better off developing ROB rather than trodding down a failed path.
Agree on Jacobs , but they won’t play ROB until he knocks the door down

And he will need to get more than 5- 6 possessions in 80% game time and influence the game more than what he did last Saturday

Watching the replay on Fox atm. ROB's tackling is pretty impressive for a big man.

EDIT:
Oh, and watching Port's final quarter comeback again - ROB came off for a rest looking fairly spent, Jenkins went into the ruck and Jacobs was playing up forward. Port moved Ryder into the ruck, who smashed Jenkins, so ROB was brought back on pretty quickly to contest against Ryder.

Looking back, it seems our coaches were trying to get some minutes into ROB/Jenkins in the ruck, while Port were more worried about winning the game (they also had Boak in the middle so don't listen to their C grade midfield excuse).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Dees have publicly stated that they are intending to play both Preuss and Gawn in the same team. So it seems that it would've been a no brainer for Preuss to go there. Whether it works is another matter, and if it doesn't, he's in the 2s unless Gawn gets injured
Going to be interesting to see how Goodwin manages a resting ruckman, T McDonald & Weiderman all in the same forward line.

Agree on Jacobs , but they won’t play ROB until he knocks the door down

And he will need to get more than 5- 6 possessions in 80% game time and influence the game more than what he did last Saturday
Jacobs is off to GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back