2019 Ladder Predictions | Page 40 | BigFooty

2019 Ladder Predictions

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by Macpotata, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Crowbots are dead

Crowbots are dead Club Legend

Adelaide
    We’ll see . Brodie smith, Brad crouch , tex walker are all fit and firing in preseason which wasn’t the case last year. We also have a pretty comfortable draw

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Tiger71

Tiger71 Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Why no rioli, higgins, graham, butler, and castagna? All under 100 games, all starting 22 locks. Guess it does not fit with your narrative?

3. Trav 20

Trav 20 Norm Smith Medallist

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Dees
    I prefer to keep it real.

But by all means, post your top 10 Richmond players and I'll invite your fellow Richmond supporters to critique your work.

nickrebellious likes this.
  4. Nobu

Nobu Suspended

Richmond
    Other Teams:
    Grimsby Town
    Why not just put age instead of games played? Gawn is over 2 years older than Vlastuin but he’s bolded and Vlastuin isn’t?

Only three of your top ten players are under 25 anyway...

1. Gawn
    2. Oliver
    3. McDonald
    4. Brayshaw
    5. Viney
    6. Jetta
    7. Hibberd
    8. Melksham
    9. May
    10. Jones

Could sneak Harmes in there but he’s yet to do it consistently.

Thrillhouse! and DontArgue4 like this.
  5. Trav 20

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Dees
    Where's Lever ? He's most definitely in our top 10.

Harmes has surpassed Jones. Harmes started in the centre square for the first bounce in our first final in 12 years. He also finished third in the B&F. It may only be one year, but it's the here and now.

For me Jones is no longer in our best 10 players.

I'm happy with eight out of ten of that list with the additions of Lever and Harmes.

I expect players like Petracca, Weideman, and Salem to be giving it a nudge sooner rather than later.

Xhoquelin likes this.
  6. Nobu

Nobu Suspended

Richmond
    Other Teams:
    Grimsby Town
    Fair enough on Harmes. Would like to see him do it for more than eight games or whatever it was that he strung together at the end of the season. Jones does look like he’s falling off a cliff though so I’ll pay it.

I would still quite easily prefer Hibberd, May and Jetta over Lever at this point in time. Lever still has deficiencies plus he’ll be coming back from a second knee reco. I’m skeptical as to whether he’ll ever fulfill his potential.

Weideman looks promising but still has a long way to go. Petracca should be there already and could easily be one or two in the future. Unfortunately he has stagnated a bit. Needs to lose weight and build endurance. Salem will never be in your top ten players. A good-average player.

7. FlyHigh18

FlyHigh18 Team Captain

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Liverpool
    1. Melbourne
    2. Richmond
    3. Collingwood
    4. West Coast
    5. Adelaide
    6. Hawthorn
    7. North Melbourne
    8. Essendon
    ------------------
    9. GWS
    10. Bulldogs
    11. Sydney
    12. Brisbane
    13. Geelong
    14. Carlton
    15. Fremantle
    16. Port Adelaide
    17. St Kilda
    18. Gold Coast

TooBlue14 and jimsim like this.
  8. Trav 20

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Dees
    Petracca has improved every year, but it has been incrementally slower than I expected. He does, however, give huge value to nearly every possession. I think he's reached about 60% of his potential.

Weideman has a long way to go, but at 21 with a best on ground in a final it's fair to say I'm bullish about his ceiling. 13 contested marks in his last 5 games - 3 of them finals - was terrific. He'll be a better key forward than Tom McDonald, who's ranked 5th in the league for key forwards by CD.

I think Salem is a very good player, but I agree he's not far off his ceiling.

I think players like Fritsch and Kolodjashnij have tremendous upside.

I think Lever is a gun, so we'll agree to differ.

I don't disagree much with your summation.

Nobu likes this.
  9. barberbarbarian

barberbarbarian Club Legend

Gold Coast
    Other Teams:
    Brisbane Lions
    We obviously won’t make finals, but don’t think Gold Coast are going to be anywhere near as bad as people seem to think we will be, provided we can keep our list healthy. There was a point last season where we had only 1 listed player left in the reserves (scrimshaw) and we still finished 2 games clear of Carlton. Brand new coaching staff and S&C coaches ought to help as well

10. jimsim

jimsim Senior List

Hawthorn
    Yeah and Dan Howe starts in the centre square for the first bounce in almost every game instead of Shiels. I don't get what starting in centre bounces has to do with anything.

11. StevoJenkins

StevoJenkins The Weekend Worker

Brisbane Lions
    I think all the bottom 4 teams will win more games next year. Whether that leads to higher ladder positions is yet to be seen, depends on who falls and how far they do so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Trav 20

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Dees
    How about third in the B&F in a team finishing 4th ?

Does that do it for you ?

13. BarbieITFC

BarbieITFC Rookie

Fremantle
    Other Teams:
    Ipswich Town FC, Leeds Rhinos
    Here goes...my first ever ladder prediction

1: Richmond
    2: Adelaide
    3: GWS
    4: Melbourne
    5: West Coast
    6: Essendon
    7: Collingwood
    8: Port
    9: Sydney
    10: Hawthorn
    11: Freo
    12: Geelong
    13: Bulldogs
    14: North
    15: Brisbane
    16: Carlton
    17: Saints
    18: Gold Coast

I think the top 6 are clear of the rest in terms of potential (barring injuries) and the bottom 3 are IMO miles off the pack.

I think there's a chance the Swans, Hawks and Cats all finish out of the eight, but this will be as far as they drop before building back into the eight - I just don't see them as ever really being bottom 6 material in the near future (success breeds success in modern sport - even in an equalised environment).

I can see Freo finishing 9-11 wins. We've got our easiest draw in years and should reasonably expect to be 3-0 (North home, Suns away, Saints home) - and a good start can go a long way to a decent season - even if we drop off the pace after the bye like the last two seasons.

Lord Rod and Isaac Cumming No 1 like this.
  14. Goggin Our Best

Goggin Our Best Premiership Player

Geelong
    Alot of posters have put MELB finishing no 1 on the ladder ( i think they will comfortably make the 8) however there are still plenty of doubts

That final against West Coast - that was a shocking performance - couldnt handle the finals heat - and got destroyed - what was it at half time - about 12 goals to nothing - they looked a million miles off it

I think you anchor Rich Eagles and Coll - but Melb ( good luck to them ) but i think are still a bit sus

le dominateur likes this.
  15. Dez!

Dez! Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Chicago Bulls
    Couldn't handle the finals heat? Handled "the heat" against Hawthorn and Geelong quite comfortably the first two weeks of the finals.

People are seriously overrating the Eagles game, Melbourne played poorly and the Eagles punished them but it's just one game.

Sando22 likes this.
  16. Trav 20

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Dees
    Just like the round 22, 2017 loss against Collingwood with finals on the line was the end of the world. What happens ? Make finals for the first time in 12 years and a prelim.

Richmond lose their last game of 2016 against Sydney by 113 points. Wins the flag the next year.

I know we had a lot to play for, but the reality is that a still young side hit the wall in round 26.

People take way too much notice of one bad game, but little notice of the good ones.

Convenient.

17. jimsim

jimsim Senior List

Hawthorn
    Why you didn't use that fact in your original comment is quite confusing. Fair point.

18. Trav 20

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Dees
    12 posts above on this page I did mention it.

And you'll note the post isn't edited.

19. Lsta062

Lsta062 Norm Smith Medallist

Richmond
    Other Teams:
    Chelsea,
    It was just one of those games where most things went against Melbourne. They miss one target and away West Coast goes. Wasn’t one of those games that exposed Melbourne in my opinion since it resembled the 92-10 performance by St Kilda against Richmond in 2017 which was Richmond’s Premiership year. Only thing was that Melbourne did not have next week to atone for the performance.

Gotta admit though, that first half by West Coast was one of the strongest defensive performances that I have ever seen. I really don’t think many (if any) teams of 2018 would have survived that performance.

20. DontArgue4

DontArgue4 Premium Platinum

Richmond
    Other Teams:
    Houston Rockets, Arsenal, PhiEagles
    Do you have the same "it was one game" mentality about the tiges performance in the prelim or is that just a dees allowance?

21. Dez!

Dez! Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Chicago Bulls
    I don't give a shit about the Tigers.

22. Xhoquelin

Xhoquelin All Australian

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Arsenal, Charlotte Hornets
    Lever was absolutely fantastic from about round six onwards. With him our defence definitely looks more solid. As soon as he got injured our structure collapsed, Lewis Vince got exposed for being far too slow and all the individual defending in the world from Jetta and OMac couldn’t stop us from leaking points.

May looks a gun, I could see him having a similar defensive organisation effect on our backline to Lever. Nev and Hibbo are very very good players but in terms of importance I think Jakey Lever could have already surpassed both. Limited sample size though so I can understand your point even though I’m pretty sold on Lever.

23. DontArgue4

DontArgue4 Premium Platinum

Richmond
    Other Teams:
    Houston Rockets, Arsenal, PhiEagles
    So snappy

24. Xhoquelin

Xhoquelin All Australian

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Arsenal, Charlotte Hornets
    Thanks for this. We definitely choked for parts of the game with missed set shots in the second and third quarters but honestly for the first forty five minutes I liked what we were trying to accomplish, breaking lines and trying to get our way through their defensive structure with risky plays. Just basic handball errors let us down and West Coast being the premiership side they ended up being pounced on these turnovers like every great team does. Credit to the Eagles for forcing us to play in such a risky way for such an inexperienced side, because they were picking off everything going long.

Lsta062 likes this.
  25. BOMBERS 4 LIFE!!!!

BOMBERS 4 LIFE!!!! Hall of Famer

Essendon
    The final against West Coast reminded me when Essendon got flogged by Sydney.