Prediction 2019 Ladder Predictions + 2020 Ladder early Predictions ( Page 115+ )

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
My Post JLT Ladder

1. Collingwood. Its almost seems cliche to predict the Grand Final loser to win the premiership the next year, however, I truly think they will. Was only a kick away from winning it all after a horrid run win injuries throughout the year. Yes all teams get injuries etc but theirs was as bad as any team last year and to important players too. Have also added Beams who is at worst a consistent positive contributer and and best a star.

2. Richmond. Was the best team in the home and away and have added Lynch without losing any best 22 players (yes I know they have lost depth). Will be there and there abouts. IMO will be devastated/hungry after what happened last year in the prelim.

3. WCE. As a WCE fan I always struggle to place us. I hope we finish top 4 but in reality no idea.

4. Adelaide. A sleeping giant. Was the best team in the home and away and was the favorite going into the GF in 2017 and still has a lot of that team still together. Never really got going last year after the weird pre season/early and consistent injuries to important players. With luck will have a better run with injury and will be back near the top.

5. Melbourne. Melbourne fans will feel hard done by with this and fair enough but I just think the above 4 teams will be better. Natural progression suggests they will improve but in reality still unproven in big finals. Wouldn't shock me if they won it all.

6. Essendon. The universal tips for the big improvers and I can see why on paper. Sheil is a star and Daniher (if over his injury) has the most potential out of any key forward in the comp. i think they will definitely improve but not to the point of truly challenging for the premiership. My tip to win a final but will be knocked out by one of the top 4.

7. GWS. Still too much star power on paper to miss finals. Have lost depth that will hurt but still has some talented youngsters coming through. Will go down a tiny bit in 2019, almost a mini rebuild, and will jump back up and be challengers in 2020.

Before i go on, i think there will be quite a big gap in class between the above and the rest.

8. Sydney. Still too reliant on Buddy. Blakey will be a star but would be a lot to expect from a first year key forward. Will be a difficult opponent for most but wont win enough games to make a true impact.

9. Hawthorn. They have to slip eventually....right? I have been saying this for three years but ill non confidently predict it will be this year.

10. Geelong. See above

11. Brisbane. Talented list, still probably a year away from challenging for finals. When they do though, it may be a rapid jump to the top 4 for example.

12. Port. IMO are in a weird place. Topped up a couple of years ago but didn't make an impact and then tried to do a rebuild but didn't full commit so will be mid table obscurity for a while. Will beat up on the teams below but will be beaten up by the teams above.

13. North. North fans will be annoyed that i put them here but I still don't rate their list. Very reliant on Ben Brown forward and he is great at what he does but not much else there. Sorry and if they prove me wrong, great.

14. Fremantle. On paper, much much better than last year so possibly contradicting myself after what I have said above with some of the other teams. However, I don't think their game plan will hold up. Talented key forwards but how good/bad are they defensively? Big question mark for me. Tag Fyfe successfully and their midfield will struggle. Some talented kids in that midfield for sure but not sure there is enough senior class.

15. Western Bulldogs. Solid midfield and backline but no real forwardline. Will win a few games against the teams below but cant see them beating any/many of the teams above them barring a crazy day.

16. Carlton. I feel a touch sorry for Carlton because they have been poor for so long and imo were on their way up this year but they have had some important guys ruled out/doubtful with injuries. Lower down teams cant afford to lose important senior players like some of the top teams can. So wont start well and may struggle to come back.

17. St Kilda. Poor list IMO. Signing Hannerbery for the contact they did was desperate and shows where their list is at.

18. Gold Coast. Almost a full reset for them. Hopefully this will go better for them than the initial go did. Getting the right on field leader will be important. Ablett was/is a star player but not a great leader.
Ill eat not only my hat but the hats.of others if essendon make the 8

Mar 23, 2005
Alberta
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers, N.A. Roosters
My Post JLT Ladder

1. Collingwood. Its almost seems cliche to predict the Grand Final loser to win the premiership the next year, however, I truly think they will. Was only a kick away from winning it all after a horrid run win injuries throughout the year. Yes all teams get injuries etc but theirs was as bad as any team last year and to important players too. Have also added Beams who is at worst a consistent positive contributer and and best a star.

2. Richmond. Was the best team in the home and away and have added Lynch without losing any best 22 players (yes I know they have lost depth). Will be there and there abouts. IMO will be devastated/hungry after what happened last year in the prelim.

3. WCE. As a WCE fan I always struggle to place us. I hope we finish top 4 but in reality no idea.

4. Adelaide. A sleeping giant. Was the best team in the home and away and was the favorite going into the GF in 2017 and still has a lot of that team still together. Never really got going last year after the weird pre season/early and consistent injuries to important players. With luck will have a better run with injury and will be back near the top.

5. Melbourne. Melbourne fans will feel hard done by with this and fair enough but I just think the above 4 teams will be better. Natural progression suggests they will improve but in reality still unproven in big finals. Wouldn't shock me if they won it all.

6. Essendon. The universal tips for the big improvers and I can see why on paper. Sheil is a star and Daniher (if over his injury) has the most potential out of any key forward in the comp. i think they will definitely improve but not to the point of truly challenging for the premiership. My tip to win a final but will be knocked out by one of the top 4.

7. GWS. Still too much star power on paper to miss finals. Have lost depth that will hurt but still has some talented youngsters coming through. Will go down a tiny bit in 2019, almost a mini rebuild, and will jump back up and be challengers in 2020.

Before i go on, i think there will be quite a big gap in class between the above and the rest.

8. Sydney. Still too reliant on Buddy. Blakey will be a star but would be a lot to expect from a first year key forward. Will be a difficult opponent for most but wont win enough games to make a true impact.

9. Hawthorn. They have to slip eventually....right? I have been saying this for three years but ill non confidently predict it will be this year.

10. Geelong. See above

11. Brisbane. Talented list, still probably a year away from challenging for finals. When they do though, it may be a rapid jump to the top 4 for example.

12. Port. IMO are in a weird place. Topped up a couple of years ago but didn't make an impact and then tried to do a rebuild but didn't full commit so will be mid table obscurity for a while. Will beat up on the teams below but will be beaten up by the teams above.

13. North. North fans will be annoyed that i put them here but I still don't rate their list. Very reliant on Ben Brown forward and he is great at what he does but not much else there. Sorry and if they prove me wrong, great.

14. Fremantle. On paper, much much better than last year so possibly contradicting myself after what I have said above with some of the other teams. However, I don't think their game plan will hold up. Talented key forwards but how good/bad are they defensively? Big question mark for me. Tag Fyfe successfully and their midfield will struggle. Some talented kids in that midfield for sure but not sure there is enough senior class.

15. Western Bulldogs. Solid midfield and backline but no real forwardline. Will win a few games against the teams below but cant see them beating any/many of the teams above them barring a crazy day.

16. Carlton. I feel a touch sorry for Carlton because they have been poor for so long and imo were on their way up this year but they have had some important guys ruled out/doubtful with injuries. Lower down teams cant afford to lose important senior players like some of the top teams can. So wont start well and may struggle to come back.

17. St Kilda. Poor list IMO. Signing Hannerbery for the contact they did was desperate and shows where their list is at.

18. Gold Coast. Almost a full reset for them. Hopefully this will go better for them than the initial go did. Getting the right on field leader will be important. Ablett was/is a star player but not a great leader.

Great Read.
Great Assessment I’d just swap Richmond to 3rd and the Eagles To 2nd.
If I didn’t know any better, I’d think you were a Herald Sun Footy Writer!

Well Done.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
How are Collingwood "Head of the pack". Credit for doing what they did to Richmond, but other than that, they did nothing against top 8 teams all year. Soft draw. They went 1-8 vs top 8 teams in the H&A last year, 3-11 for the year. If they repeat that this year based on my top 8 predictions, they end up 12-10 in the H&A. Overrated.

Dismantled Richmond and Melbourne in the most recent meetings and came within two minutes of a premiership. Yeah must be middle of the road.

Magpie Monopoly

A Good Bloke
Jul 11, 2014
Syria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
I think the great sides cover injuries better than the rest. Pies and West Coast did it all year, not surprised they were the last 2 standing.

At some point Richmond are going to face some challenges injury wise, will be interesting to see how they respond. Their top end stock is good but a season ending injury to a Rance or Jack or even Nank will really test their depth.

Jul 10, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
No AFL team
Dismantled Richmond and Melbourne in the most recent meetings and came within two minutes of a premiership. Yeah must be middle of the road.
Dismantled Melb in round 12. Also were defeated by a mediocre Geelong, Hawks and GWS at home. Like I said, credit for what they did to Rich but any team can win the flag, if they can get in a half decent position to do so. Which Collingwood did aided by a soft draw. Winning games like they did in 2018 builds confidence and they start playing bold footy, which is what you need to do come finals time. I'm not expecting you to agree with me due to your biased opinion. But proof will be in the pudding this year. Alot tougher draw. 1st 3 games are crucial to their year. Good luck.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
I think the great sides cover injuries better than the rest. Pies and West Coast did it all year, not surprised they were the last 2 standing.

At some point Richmond are going to face some challenges injury wise, will be interesting to see how they respond. Their top end stock is good but a season ending injury to a Rance or Jack or even Nank will really test their depth.
Same for any team

Grundy goes down and Pies are out of it

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Dismantled Melb in round 12. Also were defeated by a mediocre Geelong, Hawks and GWS at home. Like I said, credit for what they did to Rich but any team can win the flag, if they can get in a half decent position to do so. Which Collingwood did aided by a soft draw. Winning games like they did in 2018 builds confidence and they start playing bold footy, which is what you need to do come finals time. I'm not expecting you to agree with me due to your biased opinion. But proof will be in the pudding this year. Alot tougher draw. 1st 3 games are crucial to their year. Good luck.

Won’t defend the Geelong loss, that was terrible, but Hawthorn and GWS were in rounds one and two, literally everything has changed in the way the team plays since then. We also beat GWS the second time around.

Great call that any team can win a flag if they’re in a decent position. Collingwood put themselves in a remarkable position by being the team to beat in the second half of the season, when they were knocking off teams despite fielding several VFL standard players particularly in the back line. Despite the dozens of faces of adversity during the course of the season, the Pies still finished third on the ladder and qualified for the grand final. That definitely 100% puts them in the top echelon of teams in the league. That same team has also added a midfielder who would be in the top 10-15 in the league.

I don’t agree with your opinion not because I’m biased but because I think it’s nonsense.

Jul 10, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
No AFL team
Won’t defend the Geelong loss, that was terrible, but Hawthorn and GWS were in rounds one and two, literally everything has changed in the way the team plays since then. We also beat GWS the second time around.

Great call that any team can win a flag if they’re in a decent position. Collingwood put themselves in a remarkable position by being the team to beat in the second half of the season, when they were knocking off teams despite fielding several VFL standard players particularly in the back line. Despite the dozens of faces of adversity during the course of the season, the Pies still finished third on the ladder and qualified for the grand final. That definitely 100% puts them in the top echelon of teams in the league. That same team has also added a midfielder who would be in the top 10-15 in the league.

I don’t agree with your opinion not because I’m biased but because I think it’s nonsense.
Team to beat in the back half? I suggest you look at who you beat. Far from nonsense, facts actually. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Rancid Trogs

Senior List
Jun 23, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
This website: https://readingtheplay.wordpress.com/

has the ladder looking like this:
  1. Melbourne Demons (up 4 places)
  2. Richmond Tigers (down 1 place)
  3. Collingwood Magpies (no change)
  4. West Coast Eagles (down 2 places)
  5. Adelaide Crows (up 7 places)
  6. Essendon Bombers (up 5 places)
  7. Greater Western Sydney Giants (no change)
  8. Geelong Cats (no change)
  9. Hawthorn Hawks (down 5 places)
  10. North Melbourne Kangaroos (down 1 place)
  11. Western Bulldogs (up 2 places)
  12. Sydney Swans (down 6 places)
  13. Brisbane Lions (up 2 places)
  14. Fremantle Dockers (no change)
  15. Port Adelaide (down 5 places)
  16. Carlton Blues (up 2 places)
  17. St Kilda Saints (down 1 place)
  18. Gold Coast Suns (down 1 place)
They've also got detailed club by club analysis which was interesting to read (under their season previews tab). I think maybe Bombers too high and Port too low. I probably have Geelong out as well actually.

Magpie Monopoly

A Good Bloke
Jul 11, 2014
Syria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
Same for any team

Grundy goes down and Pies are out of it
Our defense had Dunn, Moore, Reid Scharenberg and Goldsack out for essentially the entire year, with players like Howe regularly injured and battling to prove fitness week in week out and Sam Murray suspended with drug charges. That puts out KPD stocks at literally zero.

If you got Richmond and put Rance (Dunn), McIntosh (Moore/Goldsack), Vlustin (Howe) and Houli (Scharenberg/Murray) out for the year you would seriously question their ability to win games on a consistent basis. And that's just defense.

Yes that injury size isn't exclusive to Collingwood, but particularly in the case of Richmond you can't ignore their dream 24 month run with injury. Look at what happened when just Martin injured for the Prelim, their midfield fell apart, and he wasn't even out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FinBar19

Team Captain
Melbourne Bolts Player - BFFCL
Aug 31, 2018
GC
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Winnipeg Jets
Why is the consensus that Sydney are going to drop out of the 8 this year? I'm not disagreeing but people have been saying the same about Geelong and Hawthorn for a few years now.

Feb 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why is the consensus that Sydney are going to drop out of the 8 this year? I'm not disagreeing but people have been saying the same about Geelong and Hawthorn for a few years now.
Definitive opinions have a habit of ending in eggface.

Ive got no idea whos going to do what, dont pretend to, and just enjoy (or dont enjoy) the ride.

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
My Post JLT Ladder

10. Geelong. See above

The risers and sliders are hard to predict.

St Kilda and Essendon underperformed based on expectations and Collingwood and WC overperformed.

The two teams from Collingwood, Richmond, WC, Adelaide and Melbourne who have the best run of injuries to their top tier 10 or so players, will likely be the grandfinalists. As the competition becomes more even in terms of talent, health of the playing group is going to become a more singular deciding factor. Outside of that, Collingwood, Richmond and WC all have solid experience in big, gritty, high pressure games. When differences are so marginal, this also will shine through as long as the players are switched on. That win v Port IMO had a big impact on the midset of the WC playing list going into 2018. They knew that they could grind out victory in in high stakes situations and it strikes me as a key quality of the great Hawthorn side, that would seemingly just find ways to win.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United

Nankervis and Dusty are the ones we just cannot lose. If we do then it is season over in my opinion. We just don’t have the depth in the midfield and in the ruck to cover for them.

While Rance and Riewoldt are important, I still think we can survive if we lose them. Lynch can take Riewoldt’s role as our forward general alongside Caddy and Balta and I think a defence with Astbury, Grimes and Garthwaite will do OK.

Who are we going to bring in if we lose Dusty or Nankervis for the season? I don’t even want to think about it.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Post-JLT ladder according to my opinion:

1. Adelaide - Mix talent and vengefulness together and I think we will see a solid performance from Adelaide in response to last season.
2. Collingwood - I cannot look past their midfield. With the addition of Beams it is stacked with talent. Their defence is solid and they have an efficient forward line.
3. Richmond - I believe our consistency in success recently and our recruitment of Lynch will see us be in contention again.
4. West Coast - Interesting prospect. How will they respond after having won the Premiership? I’ll put them here, but their JLT form suggests that they may finish higher.
5. Port Adelaide - Another team who I believe will bounce back. Rockliff looks like he is settling in nicely and their forward line has looked good in the JLT.
6. Geelong - They play games at KP that teams will probably lose so I think they’ll win enough games to make it
7. Melbourne - Hmmm. I don’t know about them. I don’t want JLT to influence me all that much but it has with this one. Their midfield efficiency needs to improve by a lot.
8. Essendon - I don’t think they’ll be all that bad tbh despite what they showed in the JLT. Shiel’s still an amazing recruit and they’ll like how he plays IMO.

———————————————————————

9. St Kilda - I think many underrate how easy their draw is. I think they’ll be a finals shot.
10. GWS - Huge call, but surprise falls happen. This one’s based on their player losses in the off-season and their forward line harmony.
11. Brisbane - Great recruiting and a promising JLT makes me put them out of the bottom 4 and into finals contention. They are really starting to gel nicely.
12. Sydney - I feel that they are starting to reach the end of their successful era. I just don’t think their youth will be able to fill the gaps left by the star players that left them and the ones that do not play at that level anymore.
13. Hawthorn - Mitchell’s loss is huge, but I’ll be honest, I put them here because there are generally a couple of shock factors and Hawthorn finishing here would be one. I do have genuine doubts though. Scully’s an awesome recruit if fit, but I don’t know about Wingard.
14. Carlton - I think they’ll be better than what people think they will. They had a disastrous 2018 season, but their youth are at the point where they can start rising. A smokey for some finals action.
15. North Melbourne - I just don’t know about them. I think they’ll suffer a bit of a let down to be honest. Their defence has copped significant injuries and I don’t know if they’ll recover from that in time.
16. Fremantle - Now, this is a team I can genuinely see improving, but I just don’t think they have the consistency to have an impactful season.
17. Western Bulldogs - Controversial with the quality of their midfield, but I just don’t know about their ability to kick goals. Their midfield just doesn’t get enough reward for their effort because of their forward line. I’ll put them here.
18. Gold Coast - I think they’ll be better than what some people say, but not enough to have a season of significance. They lost quite a bit of talent.

Magpie Monopoly

A Good Bloke
Jul 11, 2014
Syria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
Nankervis and Dusty are the ones we just cannot lose. If we do then it is season over in my opinion. We just don’t have the depth in the midfield and in the ruck to cover for them.

While Rance and Riewoldt are important, I still think we can survive if we lose them. Lynch can take Riewoldt’s role as our forward general alongside Caddy and Balta and I think a defence with Astbury, Grimes and Garthwaite will do OK.

Who are we going to bring in if we lose Dusty or Nankervis for the season? I don’t even want to think about it.
I think one thing we learnt from last year is that if your footy is good enough you can cover substantial injuries.

The exception is if you get injuries during games, which tends to really throw out rotations. Last year when we had the Swans and Moore went down early we really struggled to cover him and Buddy kicked 6.4 (which could have easily been 8+).

I think Richmond is good enough to cover heavy losses but we won't know until we see it.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Post-JLT ladder according to my opinion:

1. Adelaide - Mix talent and vengefulness together and I think we will see a solid performance from Adelaide in response to last season.
2. Collingwood - I cannot look past their midfield. With the addition of Beams it is stacked with talent. Their defence is solid and they have an efficient forward line.
3. Richmond - I believe our consistency in success recently and our recruitment of Lynch will see us be in contention again.
4. West Coast - Interesting prospect. How will they respond after having won the Premiership? I’ll put them here, but their JLT form suggests that they may finish higher.
5. Port Adelaide - Another team who I believe will bounce back. Rockliff looks like he is settling in nicely and their forward line has looked good in the JLT.
6. Geelong - They play games at KP that teams will probably lose so I think they’ll win enough games to make it
7. Melbourne - Hmmm. I don’t know about them. I don’t want JLT to influence me all that much but it has with this one. Their midfield efficiency needs to improve by a lot.
8. Essendon - I don’t think they’ll be all that bad tbh despite what they showed in the JLT. Shiel’s still an amazing recruit and they’ll like how he plays IMO.

———————————————————————

9. St Kilda - I think many underrate how easy their draw is. I think they’ll be a finals shot.
10. GWS - Huge call, but surprise falls happen. This one’s based on their player losses in the off-season and their forward line harmony.
11. Brisbane - Great recruiting and a promising JLT makes me put them out of the bottom 4 and into finals contention. They are really starting to gel nicely.
12. Sydney - I feel that they are starting to reach the end of their successful era. I just don’t think their youth will be able to fill the gaps left by the star players that left them and the ones that do not play at that level anymore.
13. Hawthorn - Mitchell’s loss is huge, but I’ll be honest, I put them here because there are generally a couple of shock factors and Hawthorn finishing here would be one. I do have genuine doubts though. Scully’s an awesome recruit if fit, but I don’t know about Wingard.
14. Carlton - I think they’ll be better than what people think they will. They had a disastrous 2018 season, but their youth are at the point where they can start rising. A smokey for some finals action.
15. North Melbourne - I just don’t know about them. I think they’ll suffer a bit of a let down to be honest. Their defence has copped significant injuries and I don’t know if they’ll recover from that in time.
16. Fremantle - Now, this is a team I can genuinely see improving, but I just don’t think they have the consistency to have an impactful season.
17. Western Bulldogs - Controversial with the quality of their midfield, but I just don’t know about their ability to kick goals. Their midfield just doesn’t get enough reward for their effort because of their forward line. I’ll put them here.
18. Gold Coast - I think they’ll be better than what some people say, but not enough to have a season of significance. They lost quite a bit of talent.
Not really getting the forward line harmony thing. That I've not heard before. I expect the losses thing. Doesn't offend me in a prediction thread, just confusing.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This website: https://readingtheplay.wordpress.com/

has the ladder looking like this:
  1. Melbourne Demons (up 4 places)
  2. Richmond Tigers (down 1 place)
  3. Collingwood Magpies (no change)
  4. West Coast Eagles (down 2 places)
  5. Adelaide Crows (up 7 places)
  6. Essendon Bombers (up 5 places)
  7. Greater Western Sydney Giants (no change)
  8. Geelong Cats (no change)
  9. Hawthorn Hawks (down 5 places)
  10. North Melbourne Kangaroos (down 1 place)
  11. Western Bulldogs (up 2 places)
  12. Sydney Swans (down 6 places)
  13. Brisbane Lions (up 2 places)
  14. Fremantle Dockers (no change)
  15. Port Adelaide (down 5 places)
  16. Carlton Blues (up 2 places)
  17. St Kilda Saints (down 1 place)
  18. Gold Coast Suns (down 1 place)
They've also got detailed club by club analysis which was interesting to read (under their season previews tab). I think maybe Bombers too high and Port too low. I probably have Geelong out as well actually.
Just read the Dogs one.
  • They have Caleb Daniel (midfielder who played a chunk of last season at half back) playing on the HFF
  • Libba and Wallis together in the midfield (too similar, unlikely to see them together too much)
  • Misspelled Rhylee West (they ****ed it just as bad in spelling, "Ryley")
  • Zaine Cordy isn't even mentioned in the emergencies (despite being one of our most reliable defenders last year)
  • Tory Dickson isn't even mentioned despite being one of our only proven scorers (hasn't had a great injury run the last 2 years, but kicked 50 goals in our premiership year)
It wasn't too bad, but the best 22 they picked was so far off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back