2019 Le Tour de France

Remove this Banner Ad

Green at least looks like a race in 2 rather than in 1 this year between Bling and Sagan. Bling I feel is faster, hopefully he can keep on tucking a few points away with minimal effort and then beat Sagan in those mountain stages.

Simon Yates is 10 minutes back, does he go for polka dots? He's just there supporting Adam, and there all it would take is for him to lose a big chunk of time on one of the mountain stages and he could do whatever he wanted.

Anyone got a run down of when the mountain stages are?

Stage 6 on Thursday, Mulhouse - La Planche des Belles Filles. Three cat1s including the finish, two cat2s and two cat3s.
Stage 12 next Thursday, Toulouse - Bagnères-de-Bigorre. Cat4 and two cat1s including Col de Peyresourde and Hourquette d'Ancizan.
Stage 14 Sat 20th, Tarbes - Tourmalet Barèges. Cat4 followed by cat1 on Col du Soulour and finishing with the HC Col du Tourmalet.
Stage 15 Sun 21st, Limoux - Foix. Cat2, then three cat1s including the finish.
Stage 18 Thu 25th, Embrun - Valloire. Cat3, cat1 over Col de Vars, HC over Col d'Izoard, HC over Col du Galibier then downhill to finish.
Stage 19 Fri 26th, Saint Jean de Maurienne - Tignes. Cat3, cat2, cat3 then HC over Col de I'lseran then cat1 to Montee des Tignes and sprint finish. First 90km basically climbing all the way with short downhills.
Stage 20 Sat 27th, Albertville - Val Thorens. Cat1 over Cormet de Roselend, cat2 over Cote de Longefoy, then HC to the finish. Last 33km is straight up from 500m to over 2350m with four tiny little flats.

I’m enjoying “the cycling podcast”. Much better than Lance Armstrong’s “ the move” although I like George Hincapie on that.

Is anyone else having trouble starting the video feed on the tracker? It just goes in a "tap play to start" - advert - "tap play" loop until eventually something clicks and it decides to show the live video. I've spent an hour trying to connect tonight for two successes. Once connected it is fine until my nbn drops out, but that isn't the apps fault.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is anyone else having trouble starting the video feed on the tracker? It just goes in a "tap play to start" - advert - "tap play" loop until eventually something clicks and it decides to show the live video. I've spent an hour trying to connect tonight for two successes. Once connected it is fine until my nbn drops out, but that isn't the apps fault.

Yeah, just tried it now, something is wrong with it, worked fine for me earlier tonight.

They really need to shorten those flat stages. I took a 60 km nap in the middle so I could see if there were any bunch sprint shenanigans at the end and was a little disappointed. Unfortunate for Caleb. Groenewegen won't get through Stage 6 I reckon, his legs look bad. I half expect Matthews and Sagan to join the break tomorrow

They really need to shorten those flat stages. I took a 60 km nap in the middle so I could see if there were any bunch sprint shenanigans at the end and was a little disappointed. Unfortunate for Caleb. Groenewegen won't get through Stage 6 I reckon, his legs look bad. I half expect Matthews and Sagan to join the break tomorrow
I don't bother watching flat stages like last night any more. I can just catch the final sprint on Youtube and I know its highly unlikely I'll have missed anything significant

I don't bother watching flat stages like last night any more. I can just catch the final sprint on Youtube and I know its highly unlikely I'll have missed anything significant
Probably a good policy. I stayed up to watch last night's stage. I'm still wondering why I bothered. I could have saved myself several hours by recording it, and watching the last 10km.

The only real interest last night, other than the minor crashes, was the shenanigans going on in the breakaway - with Schar refusing to play ball with the two WGG riders re: sharing the sprint & KotM spoils. That wasn't worth watching 3 1/2 hours of racing on very flat terrain.

Which does beg the question - which stages are worth watching "Live", and which can be watched later (last 10km)?

10/7 - Stage 5 - Live (big chance of breakaway succeeding)
11/7 - Stage 6 - Live (likely to be the most interesting stage of the race)
12/7 - Stage 7 - Delay (last 10km only)
13/7 - Stage 8 - Live
14/7 - Stage 9 - Live
15/7 - Stage 10 - Delay (last 10km only)
16/7 - Rest Day (to sleep, perchance to dream)
17/7 - Stage 11 - Delay
18/7 - Stage 12 - Live
19/7 - Stage 13 - Live ** ITT, so likely to be boring, but will have a major impact on the GC
20/7 - Stage 14 - Live (first Mountain Top finish)
21/7 - Stage 15 - Live
22/7 - Rest Day (to sleep, perchance to dream)
23/7 - Stage 16 - Delay
24/7 - Stage 17 - Live (unusual approach to Gap, with no Col de Manse)
25/7 - Stage 18 - Live
26/7 - Stage 19 - Live
27/7 - Stage 20 - Live
28/7 - Stage 21 - Delay (the procession into Paris is always the most boring stage of the race)

Is there any difference between watching the tour on the SBS tour app or the normal SBS on demand app? Do you get to watch action earlier on either one or is it Gabriel Gaté on both? Also I've had issues (as others posted earlier also had) with the stream dropping out constantly on my phone but not on my tv app...
Hope they remedy this.

The other night I started watching on the computer with On Demand, then an hour in it cut to the TV broadcast recap of the bit I'd just seen. When I got the app going it was showing the live feed. I'll soon see if this mornings update fixed the connection issue.

Edit: Feed started at 2105. Waited a few seconds, hit the go button, straight in first time. :thumbsupemoji:

Last edited:
So did race coverage just cut out at one of the most interesting parts of the stage as the break gets established or am I on the wrong app?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back