Review 2019 Leadership Group - Changes for next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Captain: Dyson Heppell
Vice Captain: Zach Merrett
LG: David Myers, Joe Daniher, Orazio Fantasia

Essendon has today finalised a five-man leadership group for 2019, with Dyson Heppell set to lead the Bombers as captain for a third consecutive year.

The 26-year-old will be supported by Zach Merrett (vice-captain), David Myers, Joe Daniher and Orazio Fantasia in the club’s new-look leadership group.

“I’d also like to acknowledge both Cale Hooker and Michael Hurley who are terrific leaders and made a strong contribution to the group last season. With their experience and knowledge of our game, they will continue to support the leadership group and the development of our younger players.

“The structure of the leadership group has been streamlined this season, however we have a strong focus on the entire group more broadly to own their personal leadership capacities and compete - week in and week out.”
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2019-01-23/leadership-group-unveiled

There's also a bit of an explanation of the process, how they ended up with five, who was consulted etc. here: http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2019-01-24/richardson-leadership-process-thorough

2019LeadersPic.png

This is a very old bump, (feel free to put this post in another thread if it is better suited), but in hindsight, this was a bit of a disaster wasn't it?

From the get-go there was some controversy with a rumored divided playing group due to the demotions of Hurley and Hooker. Both of whom in my (very uneducated) opinion seem to be good on-field leaders.

From the actual leadership group itself though:

• Heppell: He seems like a good Captain and has the support of the playing group. He is also very good off-field. Pass.
  • Zerrett: He seems like a developing leader and is well-liked by the playing group. Is a noted hard-worker. Pass.
  • Myers: Wasn't on the field too much but showed fantastic leadership in stepping aside when he knew his time was up. That is pretty good leadership, but personally, I think the spot would've been better suited to someone who was more frequently in the Best 22. You probably don't really need a title to act in the capacity that Myers did, but perhaps it was recognition of effort. Pass.
  • Fantasia: (I am not knocking him just because he may/may not be leaving; although it does factor in a bit). Put his hand up to play when it was painfully obvious that he wasn't physically fit to play. Hopefully he learns from this, because this is incredibly selfish behavior and he was very poor in some of those games (especially given that we all know what he is capable of). Currently has a bit of a media circus around his 2020 playing future and rumors that he is cashing in on a front-loaded contract and then leaving the Bombers empty-handed. I guess we don't know all of the specifics, but if the rumors are true, then he has no place in the Group. Fail (because of putting his hand up to play when injured)
  • Daniher: Honestly, I think Joe has the ability to be leadership material. He is very well-spoken, appears liked by the playing group and does have an on-field presence. I just wish he would do something about the current media circus - maybe his hands are tied though. TBD (depending upon his actions)
What are everyone's thoughts on the 2019 Leadership Group? In hindsight did we get it right or somewhat ok?

I am hoping the 2020 group looks very different.

Would like to see something akin to:

Captain: Dyson Heppell. I find the attack of his captaincy ridiculous, a team first player if I ever saw one and a genuine star to boot.

Vice Captain's: Zach Merrett and Dylan Shiel. Both are hard, strong, team first players that take you on your back and carry you at times. Both great VC choices.

Leadership Group: Cale Hooker, Devon Smith, Andrew McGrath. Hooker and Smith both lead by example in the way that they attack the player and the ball, whilst MGrath is clearly a future captaincy candidate.

Captain: Dyson Heppell. I find the attack of his captaincy ridiculous, a team first player if I ever saw one and a genuine star to boot.

Vice Captain's: Zach Merrett and Dylan Shiel. Both are hard, strong, team first players that take you on your back and carry you at times. Both great VC choices.

Leadership Group: Cale Hooker, Devon Smith, Andrew McGrath. Hooker and Smith both lead by example in the way that they attack the player and the ball, whilst MGrath is clearly a future captaincy candidate.
Yep. Agree with that

This is a very old bump, (feel free to put this post in another thread if it is better suited), but in hindsight, this was a bit of a disaster wasn't it?

From the get-go there was some controversy with a rumored divided playing group due to the demotions of Hurley and Hooker. Both of whom in my (very uneducated) opinion seem to be good on-field leaders.

From the actual leadership group itself though:

• Heppell: He seems like a good Captain and has the support of the playing group. He is also very good off-field. Pass.
  • Zerrett: He seems like a developing leader and is well-liked by the playing group. Is a noted hard-worker. Pass.
  • Myers: Wasn't on the field too much but showed fantastic leadership in stepping aside when he knew his time was up. That is pretty good leadership, but personally, I think the spot would've been better suited to someone who was more frequently in the Best 22. You probably don't really need a title to act in the capacity that Myers did, but perhaps it was recognition of effort. Pass.
  • Fantasia: (I am not knocking him just because he may/may not be leaving; although it does factor in a bit). Put his hand up to play when it was painfully obvious that he wasn't physically fit to play. Hopefully he learns from this, because this is incredibly selfish behavior and he was very poor in some of those games (especially given that we all know what he is capable of). Currently has a bit of a media circus around his 2020 playing future and rumors that he is cashing in on a front-loaded contract and then leaving the Bombers empty-handed. I guess we don't know all of the specifics, but if the rumors are true, then he has no place in the Group. Fail (because of putting his hand up to play when injured)
  • Daniher: Honestly, I think Joe has the ability to be leadership material. He is very well-spoken, appears liked by the playing group and does have an on-field presence. I just wish he would do something about the current media circus - maybe his hands are tied though. TBD (depending upon his actions)
What are everyone's thoughts on the 2019 Leadership Group? In hindsight did we get it right or somewhat ok?

I am hoping the 2020 group looks very different.
It was a disaster. All we can do is hope we learn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly, I cannot fault that at all.

Is there a spot for Hurley to be reinstated, or is he just unlucky/not adequate leadership material?

Honestly, I cannot fault that at all.

Is there a spot for Hurley to be reinstated, or is he just unlucky/not adequate leadership material?
Him or Hooker, and I also thought Saad was a chance too.

Hurley and Hooker were effectively retired from the leadership group, though apparently not voluntarily. I think Goddard and Watson both stepped down before their last seasons as well? Though voluntarily in their cases. Could come out of retirement I suppose.

I thought Shiel mentioned having aspirations on joining the leadership group on one of his radio interviews late this year too.

C: Heppell
VC: Merrett + Shiel (or Smith if fully fit)

Nominated Leaders: Hurley / Hooker / McGrath / Smith / Shiel

I think it's important to have a mix of young and old in the group, a player like McGrath becomes the standard for new draftees to look up to from someone they see as being near their own point of career; whilst your Hooker & Hurley are clearly very highly respected by the actual playing group and deserve recognition of that.

Shiel & Smith both apply themselves well on-field and at training, and as 'trade-ins' have now been on the list for at least a full season, as i'm not generally a fan of promoting guys straight to leadership roles upon joining the club. Smith has been around longer, so would be my preference, and his aggression, two way running and general effort are all exactly what we want to see.

Heppell isn't perfect, but showed strong leadership during the season and is probably the best current candidate we have, Merrett the next best.

Think long-term we'll see Hooker & Hurley move on and someone like Saad join the leadership group, again a consistent standard setter on and off field who appears well liked by the players. Parish also a potential.

I also think it's telling that we have precisely 0 natural leaders in that forward-line, which is consistently the most disorganised part of the ground for us.

Blah blah - insert some excuse for the club here - another sign of a disconnect and poor decisions. Rarely these things occur in isolation.

New EVERYTHING in 2020 though!!

Leadership should be self driven, so I am struggling to see the need for a leadership group - Reckong they cause more grief than glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back