Review 2019 Leadership Group - Changes for next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see 2020 being along the lines of:

Captain: Dyson Heppell
Vice Captains: Zach Merrett, Dylan Shiel
Remainder of Leadership Group: Andrew McGrath, Cale Hooker, Michael Hurley

Mar 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tassie Devils
Who is making these decisions at the club? Terrible leadership group was chosen, as embarrassing as the decision to give Myers to most improved award last year. Hopefully Rutten has more day in things this year (and has a good head on his shoulders)

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
If the players voted but were overruled this year, then that needs to be scrapped next year. Daniher and Fantasia were poor choices regardless of whether they played full seasons.

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd completely change the leadership group. Only two players on our list have been a) part of a successful team and b) shown leadership qualities.

There is no evidence that Heppell is the man to lead us our of mediocrity. He has known nothing but mediocrity his entire career. He has never been part of a successful team or culture.

I'd be looking to Shiel and Smith to lead the club. Two guys from professional environments. Both have won finals. Played under amazing captain's. They know what succes requires.

Of course, we will do nothing. Nothing surer.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd completely change the leadership group. Only two players on our list have been a) part of a successful team and b) shown leadership qualities.

There is no evidence that Heppell is the man to lead us our of mediocrity. He has known nothing but mediocrity his entire career. He has never been part of a successful team or culture.

I'd be looking to Shiel and Smith to lead the club. Two guys from professional environments. Both have won finals. Played under amazing captain's. They know what succes requires.

Of course, we will do nothing. Nothing surer.

There’s more to leadership than having playing in successful teams. Jobe never knew team success and proved an amazing leader in the toughest of times.

Heppell has been praised as a leader almost since he was a teenager and I have little doubt he’s a very good leader.

Leaders need to be out on the ground though. It’s the first thing to make the selection of Myers, Fantasia and Daniher strange. Not the most reliable in terms of getting on the park.

Hooker appears a real leader to me as well. Smith I agree with, Shiel I’m not so sure.

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
There’s more to leadership than having playing in successful teams. Jobe never knew team success and proved an amazing leader in the toughest of times.

Heppell has been praised as a leader almost since he was a teenager and I have little doubt he’s a very good leader.

Leaders need to be out on the ground though. It’s the first thing to make the selection of Myers, Fantasia and Daniher strange. Not the most reliable in terms of getting on the park.

Hooker appears a real leader to me as well. Smith I agree with, Shiel I’m not so sure.

Heppell is a nice kid and everybody likes him. Is he a great leader though?

We are a perennial disappointment. I don't know why we treat the captaincy as a position set in stone. The captain should share some of the blame.

If we want to move forward as a football club then change is required. I'd recommend that a new captain and fresh leadership group, completely detached from the supplement scandal, should feature along with the shift towards Rutten.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
The 2019 players "Leadership group" is just another damning indictment of the club's off-field leadership group.

5 first round picks in this draft won't change this clubs performance. Only strong and competent leadership will. All the poor performing clubs have poor leadership. So do we and this year's inclusions (and exclusion) are just another sign of that void.

Smoke everywhere at Essendon with rubbish like this but no fire apparently.

avignon

Senior List
Oct 8, 2004
Other Teams
ESSENDON
The 2019 players "Leadership group" is just another damning indictment of the club's off-field leadership group.

5 first round picks in this draft won't change this clubs performance. Only strong and competent leadership will. All the poor performing clubs have poor leadership. So do we and this year's inclusions (and exclusion) are just another sign of that void.

Smoke everywhere at Essendon with rubbish like this but no fire apparently.
Was some talk about Merrett, Hooker and Hurley being an impossible mix in the leadership group, hence Hooker and Hurley stood aside. Anyone else see the smoke here?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

madrigal

All Australian
May 24, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Surely leading the club into the drug scandal rather than avoiding it makes him one of the worst leaders in the history of the club.

We have certainly outdone ourselves plumbing new depths, haven't we?

Spurs and Essendon - killing me at the moment.
At least you're in the top half of the PL and didn't just lose to Newcastle...

Eleven 38

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Canucks, Cowboys, Renegades
McGrath captain Smith vice, might cause some issues with the group making such a young player captain but he is going to be captain at some point, lets give him 10 years to make the most of it.

Eleven 38

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Canucks, Cowboys, Renegades
Terrible plan, Melbourne destroyed Trengove doing this.

With the way Melbourne was going at the time can you really pinpoint making Trengove captain as the issue?

Patrick Cripps just came 3rd in the brownlow.

Jan 10, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
We had no chance of succeeding in 2019 with a rabble of a leadership group.

Heppell, Merrett, Myers, Daniher, Fantasia

Seeing Hurley play with a sore shoulder and literally cry when we lost (as did Hooker), those 2 are the first selected for 2020.

We don't need any prima donnas in 2020.

New Look 2020 Leadership Group
----------------------------------------
In: Hurley, Hooker, Smith (gives 110% for the Club), Ambrose (works his guts out), Saad (one of the few that put in against Eagles)

Dropped: Heppell, Merrett, Myers, Daniher, Fantasia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back