2019 Leadership Group

Remove this Banner Ad

Very streamed lined. Honestly nev has developed so much as a leader lately, bit of a general in defence. Great to his inclusion. Viney the youngest of the lot

I did want Jones to stay on, think it will be his last year though

West Coast had a six person leadership group last year. Collingwood had five + a six person ‘emerging leaders’ group. It’s the most meaningless thing in football. I don’t even know why they announce it every year, stupid PR exercise

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Absolutely perfect! Hate some of the 17 men leadership groups getting about.
Perfect result.

Also noticed that whilst they have fixed the blue in the Zurich logo, it still blocks out a chunk of the red V. Disappointed.
its the same as last year, “fixing the blue” was done by mid year when they had the jumpers fully sublimated, rather than having a heat pressed sponsor badge put on. I agree that I’d prefer the white text and logomark placed the same way as the AHG logo was ... but it could be much worse, Essendon’s Amart and West Coast’s front and back sponsors for example

May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Very streamed lined. Honestly nev has developed so much as a leader lately, bit of a general in defence. Great to his inclusion. Viney the youngest of the lot

I did want Jones to stay on, think it will be his last year though
I think if they were certain Viney would play most games he'd be the sole captain. Can see Jones onfield output start to drop away this season. Unless they find another position for him besides midfield I don't think he'll play beyond 2020. (At least not for Melbourne)

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think if they were certain Viney would play most games he'd be the sole captain. Can see Jones onfield output start to drop away this season. Unless they find another position for him besides midfield I don't think he'll play beyond 2020. (At least not for Melbourne)

Agree, honestly I'd be ok with him retiring if we won the flag this year but I think he wants to win as much as possible towards the end of his career considering how many games he lost in the early and middle part of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he might, often you see some older players starting to hit the road block. Then suddenly they rise again. I think Jones is one of those types who could get a second win and get another two seasons past his first expiry date

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Perfect result.

Also noticed that whilst they have fixed the blue in the Zurich logo, it still blocks out a chunk of the red V. Disappointed.
I worry about stuff like that too. This is bad news for you

May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think he might, often you see some older players starting to hit the road block. Then suddenly they rise again. I think Jones is one of those types who could get a second win and get another two seasons past his first expiry date
If we weren't so well stocked with inside mids I'd back him all the way to the games record. Jones can still do a good job as an inside mid but I think he'll only get a chance to predominantly play that role if we are hit by injuries.
There's no way we forcibly retire Jones before he gets to 300 games, unless he picks up a serious injured. Might bow out himself, but I imagine he reckons he still has two full seasons in him.
If we're a chance for the premiership & he's struggling for form I hate to say it but football can be a ruthless industry. Without the season starting I currently have him in the bottom 6 players in our best team so who knows how he will go this year. Don't get me wrong I still think he's a capable player but the depth of inside mids is going to make him play roles he isn't ideally suited to.(Think Dom Tyson) The Dees would never push him out the door after everything he's been through but if he spends a majority of 2020 down at Casey he might very well end up a two club player if he doesn't want to retire.

If we weren't so well stocked with inside mids I'd back him all the way to the games record. Jones can still do a good job as an inside mid but I think he'll only get a chance to predominantly play that role if we are hit by injuries.

If we're a chance for the premiership & he's struggling for form I hate to say it but football can be a ruthless industry. Without the season starting I currently have him in the bottom 6 players in our best team so who knows how he will go this year. Don't get me wrong I still think he's a capable player but the depth of inside mids is going to make him play roles he isn't ideally suited to.(Think Dom Tyson) The Dees would never push him out the door after everything he's been through but if he spends a majority of 2020 down at Casey he might very well end up a two club player if he doesn't want to retire.
Unless his form goes right off the rails from a marketing/cultural perspective it's well worth the club keeping him on until 300. He'd have to drop enough form to go well below the quality of our 22nd player otherwise.

May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Unless his form goes right off the rails from a marketing/cultural perspective it's well worth the club keeping him on until 300. He'd have to drop enough form to go well below the quality of our 22nd player otherwise.
Agree. Can see them carrying him this season but next season I believe he'd be in the current situation Lewis is in. Be interesting to see how many games Jordy plays this year.

Agree. Can see them carrying him this season but next season I believe he'd be in the current situation Lewis is in. Be interesting to see how many games Jordy plays this year.
As far as I'm concerned they're both hacks and can GAGF :p But that's why I'm not a list manager. Really with Jonesy I'm not expecting him to play consistently great football - it's about being managed from a workload/intensity perspective IMO, and being able to lift in big moments/when the tide turns against what is still a young side and they need someone to put their head over the ball and deliver a massive 5 minutes.

Taking him for granted a bit I reckon. Never plays a bad game. Definitely won’t be carried this year unless something changes.

West Coast had a six person leadership group last year. Collingwood had five + a six person ‘emerging leaders’ group. It’s the most meaningless thing in football. I don’t even know why they announce it every year, stupid PR exercise
That's why I like this announcement, personally. Our three longest serving players and our future solo captain. Clubs that flight players into the leadership group to make a statement, or get the best out of a player have it wrong. Just pick a small group of the best leaders.

Be interesting to see how many games Jordy plays this year.
Interesting to note that Jordy is dropping out of the leadership group to focus on working with the coaches. I think that may say a lot about where he is heading. I know they phrased it as he was providing the players' perspective to the coaching panel, but you can bet he's as keen to get the coaches perspective more too.

Back