Opinion 2019 lineup

Remove this Banner Ad

I really want Schache and Boyd round 1 in the fwd line. Schache should be better this year, another year in his development, stronger + fitter and more comfortable at the Dogs, and did some really nice things last year. His goal-kicking is fantastic too and real asset for a team who kicks so inaccurately so often.

The ruck spot is very interesting too. English should be close to be able to giving us a good 12 - 15 games this year minimum hopefully with a big pre-season and good bill of health, ideally he plays 15 - 18 game. But if he can't, we looked really good with Trengove in there and it fits our team balance a bit more with Boyd as 2nd ruck behind him and then still playing Gowers, Schache, Cordy, Naughton etc as other talls. Fascinated to see if English is ready to be a #1 ruck yet and how he goes because he is a real wildcard for us being able to be back playing finals in the next few years.

Fwd line balance is a good one to watch with Lloyd, Cavarra, Greene, Wallis, Smith, McLean etc all able to roll through a pressure fwd / crumbing goal-kicker role we have struggled to fill since Clay went down. Will Bailey Smith be ready round 1 to play? Everything points to yes with his work ethic and skills, but not a lot of spots available.

Bailey Williams was breaking out last season before the injury and then looked great when he came back. If he comes back even better again he is in our top 15, maybe top 12 players and is a really exciting addition.

Big year for Bailey Dale who was my tip to break out last year but wasn't able to. If he can't get into the side for regular games this season he could be pushed out of the team for good, but I still really, really rate him and think he has a lot to give us still.

A lot of running half backs and medium defenders / wingers which Bevo obviously loves. JJ, Ed, Suckling, Duryea, Williams, Laitham, Lynch, Daniel etc gives our side a lot of what Bevo likes and our Half Back line could be a real weapon for us going forward. I loved what Caleb did down there last year with his skills and aerobic capacity dominating late in matches for us. I wonder if starts there or goes back to the middle where there is a huge squeeze for spots.

Dunkley is a star IMO and earned his spot in the middle alongside Macrae, Bont and Hunter, if the Libba from old is back, he is a walk up start there but you have a huge list of other guys who want and deserve to run through the middle too. Easily our best line and lets the Bont play 20-30% of games down forward where I know some people don't like him, but he is an absolute weapon to have there. Especially if we can still play some A graders in the middle winning the ball.

Very excited for round 1 and my manic refreshing of twitter to see the teams every Thursday arvo in footy season is going to be multiplied 10X this year.

I had no trouble not finding a spot for either Duryea nor Llyod in my round 1 side. I just don't understand what all of the huffing and puffing hyperbole is about with these two who in reality are just cheap senior depth. Will they get games through the course of a long and arduous season, of course they will. Are they locks for round 1 with all things being equal. Absolutely not. Honestly.
Lloyd is coming into a team where the top goalscorer Gowers finished with 26 goals, followed by Bont who finished with 24 and had his appendix out. I know it's easy to forget at a time of optimism, but our forward line was a bit of a joke last year, so there will definitely be room for Lloyd.

Duryea is a 100-game, dual premiership player. That kind of experience isn't easy to come by, so in all likelihood, he starts. That said, we are overstocked with half-back flankers, which is why I was puzzled by his recruitment in the first place.

Yep, forward for sure. Of all of our options he's top ~2 for actual impact at AFL level in this side, and by a long, long way. Leaving him out for Lloyd/Cavarra/Greene/etc is wishful thinking. Why omit a known contributor for someone who maybe could be better at some point? As far as I'm concerned you go with the best performers at the level until proven otherwise. Wallis not getting first go in favour of some VFL footballers is baffling to me, but I appreciate that others disagree.

Optimal forward lineup at this point for me is Boyd, Schache, Wallis, Gowers, Cavarra and Lloyd/Greene/Picken/Dickson. I understand Wallis' limitations and why he's being left out but until I see him actually be outperformed by someone else I'm loathe to exclude him.

Long term I predict Boyd, Schache and Greene as being the key pieces. Other positions are still in flux.

Any chance we can vote on the best 22 again this year Dannnnnnnn??

Lloyd is coming into a team where the top goalscorer Gowers finished with 26 goals, followed by Bont who finished with 24 and had his appendix out. I know it's easy to forget at a time of optimism, but our forward line was a bit of a joke last year, so there will definitely be room for Lloyd.

Duryea is a 100-game, dual premiership player. That kind of experience isn't easy to come by, so in all likelihood, he starts. That said, we are overstocked with half-back flankers, which is why I was puzzled by his recruitment in the first place.

Sure. After watching our dysfunctional forward half last year you can easily make a case for Lloyd. However, I personally prefer the known known of a (potentially) fit Dickson and the upside and further development of Greene who in my view is as natural a forward as we have on the list in my round 1 squad. As for Duryea, there just isn't a place for him in the back half and certainly not through the middle, regardless of his experience or his premiership success, which to my mind is one of the most worthless pieces of empirical evidences that can be bought to the table when discussing any particular players worth. The game is absolutely littered with dead ordinary players that have a premiership medallion(s).

Once again, they'll get games throughout the season, they just wouldn't be in my side for round 1. The actual point of this thread.

FB: Morris, Naughton, Crozier
HB: Wood, Cordy, JJ
C: Hunter, Libba, Macrae
HF: Mclean, Schache, Greene
FF: Gowers, Boyd, Dickson
R: Trengrove, Dunkley, Bont
INT: Suckling, Richards, Daniel, Williams.

Next: Lipinski, English, Wallis, Dale, Jong.

I’m fairly sure when our list team sat down at years end they said, hey let’s go get a couple mature blokes that will play VFL for us.
Well it's not the intention, but it's sometimes - occasionally - how it works out.

Like with Lower. And Cloke. And Adcock. And Sherman. And Djerrkura. And Rawlings. And Koops. And <insert any one of a dozen other recycled failures here>.

None of them were recruited to be VFL players, but ended up there within 6-12-18 months.

We'll see how it plays out, and I think you may even agree with me here given your preferred 22 (compared to likely 22), but we take a case of Cavarra vs Lloyd. Both VFL players last year, one is 23 and doing very well at the next level down, coming into his peak years, and if he does step up and make it, will, like Dickson was when he was picked up, be around for and be able to contribute significantly to a couple of premiership tilts.

Against a guy who has proven, across 6 years, that he's not capable of consistently being top 22 in an AFL side, who's VFL form and numbers this season, outside of a couple of great games, were less impressive and consistent than Cavarra's, and this was with a spot in a potential premiership side up for grabs. And someone who at 29 at the start of the season, through no fault of his own, will be on a downhill trajectory and unlikely to contribute in 2-3 years when we're back up and about.

I do wish Lloyd all the best, and my call is that he will have a great first half to next season before falling away - but with a view to our longer term development and club goals, I hope that our other options are out-performing him to push him to the VFL.

Last edited:

Will bringing in a player that’s struggled for AFL games the last two years, in which time has kicked less than half of Gowers total last year, help our fwd line.
I’d back a premiership player who has had a far more impactful career in Dickson.

FB: Morris Naughton Crozier
HB: Wood Cordy Williams
C: Hunter Wallis Macrae
HF: Suckling Schache Johannisen
FF: Dickson Gowers Trengove
RUC: English Bontempelli Maclean
INT: Dunkley Liberatore Richards Daniel

Leaving out Boyd and the newcomers. JJ permanent wing/fwd to address our definiencies in front of goal. Lloyd to play if Dickson can't get on the park.
Can't see Bailey Dale fitting in now undortunately and would not be surprised if he's seeking alternatives at years end.
English to have a breakiut year as no.1 ruck.

FB: Morris Naughton Wood
HB: Crozier Cordy Williams
C: Hayes Macrae Hunter
HF: Cavarra Schache Wallis
FF: Dunkey English Gowers
R: Trengove Bont Libba
IC: LLoyd Daniel JJ Suckling

EMG: McLean Duryea Dickson Richards (in that order)

Going for experience to stop the second half fade outs. Means Richards, Greene and Lipinski miss out for now. Dickson and Picken would be ideal but hard to have faith in their fitness. If I was less biased I'd have Duryea playing but I just don't like very much ever since I rewatched the Dogs v Hawks final and realised his mistakes lead to several of our goals. Boyd has to earn selection over English as the second ruck (don't think English has the tank for primary ruckman). McLean is the toughest one to have out but at the moment Wallis is more proven as a forward, Dunkley as the bigger body for the forward/mid and Cavarra because he fills the niche of the pressure forward. Sad to say but if Wood wasn't captain I'd probably not include him. Having him go down mid game as cost us a few times.

FB: Morris Naughton Wood
HB: Crozier Cordy Williams
C: Hayes Macrae Hunter
HF: Cavarra Schache Wallis
FF: Dunkey English Gowers
R: Trengove Bont Libba
IC: LLoyd Daniel JJ Suckling

EMG: McLean Duryea Dickson Richards (in that order)

Going for experience to stop the second half fade outs. Means Richards, Greene and Lipinski miss out for now. Dickson and Picken would be ideal but hard to have faith in their fitness. If I was less biased I'd have Duryea playing but I just don't like very much ever since I rewatched the Dogs v Hawks final and realised his mistakes lead to several of our goals. Boyd has to earn selection over English as the second ruck (don't think English has the tank for primary ruckman). McLean is the toughest one to have out but at the moment Wallis is more proven as a forward, Dunkley as the bigger body for the forward/mid and Cavarra because he fills the niche of the pressure forward. Sad to say but if Wood wasn't captain I'd probably not include him. Having him go down mid game as cost us a few times.
Oh boy, Hayes over McLean? You actually serious. Hell half those players over McLean is just flat out wrong. I feel dirty for having read this

Oh boy, Hayes over McLean? You actually serious. Hell half those players over McLean is just flat out wrong. I feel dirty for having read this

I've got McLean as an inside mid and Hayes as an outside which we don't really have many of. McLean is fighting for a spot over Bont, Macrae, Dunkley and Libba and is behind them. In fairness I probably should have him as a forward and he takes Cavarra's spot but I've got a personal dislike of playing mids up forward over actual forwards, and I really think McLean is much more of a mid now.

I've got McLean as an inside mid and Hayes as an outside which we don't really have many of. McLean is fighting for a spot over Bont, Macrae, Dunkley and Libba and is behind them. In fairness I probably should have him as a forward and he takes Cavarra's spot but I've got a personal dislike of playing mids up forward over actual forwards, and I really think McLean is much more of a mid now.
Your opinion and all but nope

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Morris Cordy Wood
HB: Crozier Naughton JJ
C: Hunter Dunkley Mclean
HF: Lloyd Bont Gowers
FF: Cavarra Schache Dickson
R: Trengove Libba Macrae
Int: Daniel Williams Wallis Suckling

Emg: Richards, English, Boyd, Duryea

Next in line: Picken? Smith, Lipinski, Greene, Dale, Hayes

Explanation:
Our best footy was when we played one tall with a swarming and dynamic group of mid to small forwards, and I have chosen Schache over Boyd as I felt that his second half of the season showed a lot of promise, averaging over a goal a game and taking a few clunks. Boyd needs to demonstrate his ability to take a solid mark and getting separation from defenders, similar to a hawkins type role.

The Bont is placed at CHF, but I'd prefer he play 55/45 fwd/mid. He is our most efficient and talented forward on our list (right?), shown by his strong capabilities in the air and on the ground around the goals. However, I also understand his importance as a mid, with his decision making and sublime skills, hence the 50/50 split. When the midfield needs assistance, just inject Bont back in no questions asked.

Our back six is pretty much settled (when fit). A good mix of players there including some run and drive from crozier and JJ. However, naughton and cordy are both still young and will require plenty of help of our team defence against the elite forwards e.g. Brown Daniher Franklin. KPD depth is also fairly weak, with only young and trengove.

Our mids are our strongest group. Not much needs to be said. Players such as dunkley, mclean, bont even hunter should rest forward. Only real problem is the ruck. We will get destroyed in hitouts once again (Gawn is scary ok), and our midfields rarely get first use from our ruckman. Depth will also be tested here with English and Boyd.

Our fwd line looks a bit nicer with Cavarra and Lloyd fitting right in. Will take time for the group to glue together, but all are potential 25+ goal-kickers. Hope cavarra can be that gun small fwd we've always wanted and praying that Dickson can show his 15/16 form again as he was an underrated gun.

Interchange is just picking the best of the rest, with Suckling getting in narrowly over Richards for experience. Queries are picken and Libba, but hope both are able to return in good shape.

Overall, can't really tell whether we will rise or stagnate, but judging from our last few games this year, I'd say we can push for 8th-12th.

B- Wood Naughton Cordy
HB- Williams Morris Crozier
C- Hunter Macrae Johannisen
HF- Lloyd Schache Richards
F- West Gowers Boyd

Followers- English, Bontempelli, McLean.

I/C- Dunkley, B.Smith, Lynch, Suckling.

Average Height = 188.64 cm rounded up.

Don’t agree with a lot of the sentiment around bont playing half half or majority forward. If you look at these highlights a lot of his goals last year were kicked out of stoppage. He’s also a pretty unreliable set shot whereas when he’s got the ball 80-50 metres out he’s a freak at hitting targets inside the arcs. Sure I’d like to see him rest forward but he should be doing most of his work in the middle where he’s more consistent. I’d like to see something closer to 75/25 or 80/20 split of mid/fwd.

Don’t agree with a lot of the sentiment around bont playing half half or majority forward. If you look at these highlights a lot of his goals last year were kicked out of stoppage. He’s also a pretty unreliable set shot whereas when he’s got the ball 80-50 metres out he’s a freak at hitting targets inside the arcs. Sure I’d like to see him rest forward but he should be doing most of his work in the middle where he’s more consistent. I’d like to see something closer to 75/25 or 80/20 split of mid/fwd.

Ideally I see Bont, Dunkley, McLean and Libba forming a 4 man rotation whereby each (roughly) cover 2 inside mid/ 1 forward & 1 bench spot, each having 50% game time in the middle, 25% forward and 25% on the bench.

Bont is only suggested going forward because we can’t kick goals

Might as well select Morris in the forward pocket it makes as much sense.

You don’t move you best player from his best spot it’s that simple

Will bringing in a player that’s struggled for AFL games the last two years, in which time has kicked less than half of Gowers total last year, help our fwd line.
I’d back a premiership player who has had a far more impactful career in Dickson.
So? Bolded part means nothing. You can't score goals if you're not playing.

We brought him in based on what he showed in his 2016 season, and that season was better than Gowers this year.

So? Bolded part means nothing. You can't score goals if you're not playing.

We brought him in based on what he showed in his 2016 season, and that season was better than Gowers this year.

Exactly!!

But if we are looking at past form you still take Dickson every day of the week.

Exactly!!
Why make the comparison with Gowers then? One played, one didn't.

But if we are looking at past form you still take Dickson every day of the week.
I'm not disputing this, I have both Dickson and Lloyd in my team.
If Lloyd played for us in 2018, he probably would've played every game. Certainly would've been helpful in the early stages where we were playing Dunkley up forward.

Why make the comparison with Gowers then? One played, one didn't.

I'm not disputing this, I have both Dickson and Lloyd in my team.
If Lloyd played for us in 2018, he probably would've played every game. Certainly would've been helpful in the early stages where we were playing Dunkley up forward.

Exactly!! Ones form hasn’t been AFL standard for 2 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back